1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there is a program for the pocket PC that is like Directory Assistant for Palm?
    Good question...something I have really missed! (Hobbes...Phurth...are you out there? )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I have used and love Pocket Express ( express.handmark.com ) for around 2 years now. I would have to confirm, but I believe it is WM05 updated.

I also love getting the news and especially the movie schedules as well. When I am traveling, I just enter in a zip code and it finds all the local theaters and what times all the movies are playing there that day. It also has Weather, maps, Sports, and Stocks.

And, yes it does have a good 411. It has the following options for look up:
    • Find a Person
    • Find a Neighbor (look up by address)
    • Find a Business
    • Reverse Address
    • Reverse Phone
    I'll second Handmark Express. It has been updated for WM5 and does work. When installed to my card it seems a bit flaky, though. Sometimes it'll quit when in the background.

I'd install it to the device to fix that (I've seen similar issues with other apps), but it takes quite a bit of memory.

The only other issue with Express (which works with the Palm, BTW) is that is expensive and is a subscription service. I bought it for half off last year - I doubt I'd pay full price for it, we'll see.

I think some of the modules are available individually (weather, movies, sports, stocks, directory & maps) for less money.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    FYI- I just updated Express on my 6700 and noticed that they have an updated version that supports square screens and even a different installer specifically for the 700w.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Are there any good free directories and stuff? Need some good whitepage and yellow page one.
    There are plenty of free web-based ones such as Google Local or MSN Live Search (http://mobile.msn.com/search/default.aspx).

Nothing I know of that's quite like DA, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    There are plenty of free web-based ones such as Google Local or MSN Live Search (http://mobile.msn.com/search/default.aspx).

Nothing I know of that's quite like DA, though.
    Thanks Phurth...that works pretty good (I like how you can click the name and then it will ask you if you want to dial that phone number )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ya thanks that is a great site!
    lack of DA for me is literally almost a deal killer
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    To have DA on your Today screen follow these steps:

1) Go to the link posted by phurth in PIE.

2) Make it a favorite.

3) Using PocketPlus, place that favorite on your Today plug-in.

4) Change the icon to the one that looks like an operator.

5) Your done!

This will give you the number lookup and map options that DA does. It will not provide reverse qwery and neighbors options. I never used those so this worked for me. If you REALLY need those options, PocketExpress offers them, but it's expensive.

On top of that, I followed the above steps to create a one click experience to get to my local movie listings from fandango.com.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    try express. i lived on da on my 650 and loaded express last night to try it. all the functionality of da
    Isn't DA based upon data from yp.com?

You should be able to get the info from their mobile site at http://m.yp.com

This site is formatted for phones and includes all the functionality found in DA:

- Yellow Pages
    - Yellow Pages Reverse Look-up
    - White Pages
    - Reverse Phone Look-up
    - Reverse Address Look-up
    - Neighbor Look-up
    - Maps and Driving Directions
    I can't say enough about Google SMS. Very easy. Give it a try and I think you'll be impressed.

>Enter your query as a text message.
    >Send the message to the US shortcode 46645 (GOOGL on most phones).
    >Receive a text message (or messages) with your results, usually within a minute. Results may be labeled as "1/3", "2/3", etc.
    >To get Google SMS help info sent directly to your phone, send the word 'help' as a text message to 46645.