1.    #1  
    I am wondering if anyone has placed a call via Skype yet?
    We did try over Wi-Fi, but not much success yet. I could hear the called party fine (through the back speaker), but the caller heard be scrambled. More testing to be done....
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    We did try over Wi-Fi, but not much success yet. I could hear the called party fine (through the back speaker), but the caller heard be scrambled. More testing to be done....
    Marcus, is there any update on skype with evdo?

Interesting...other posts indicate that Skype right now doesn't work via 1xEvDo b/c of latency issues. However this should not be a problem over wifi, so it must be a software bug huh?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Folks,

I did test calls to and from my laptop and using EvDo and it worked fine (with some latency). The bigger problem I found is that when Skype is running, the phone slows to a crawl -- so it's not something I would leave running.

It also uses the back speaker and not the earpeice -- maybe there is a setting for this, or maybe this is a hardware limitation.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

I did test calls to and from my laptop and using EvDo and it worked fine (with some latency). The bigger problem I found is that when Skype is running, the phone slows to a crawl -- so it's not something I would leave running.

It also uses the back speaker and not the earpeice -- maybe there is a setting for this, or maybe this is a hardware limitation.

Glenn
    Any updates Glenn? Is it possible to save and run Skype from the SD Card? Will that free up memory perhaps?
    Hi,

I'd love to hear reports about Skype calls on the 700w with either EVDO or WiFi. Can the 700w make Skype calls successfully? Is the sound quality as good as on a computer? Do SkypeOut and SkypeIn work as well? How is battery life running Skype? Please share any other details about your experience.

Thank you very much!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    skype was causing my 700 to freeze and also not turn-off properly.. it also had problems connecting.. with that said.. when it was working, it worked rather well.. quality was not as good as on the computer.. but then again.. i was using the speaker on the treo, maybe if i used a headset it would be better..

i did not use skypeOut/In..

also, as for battery.. I am having enough battery issues with GoodLink (so i turned off EVDO, and just to note, skype seemed to work OK without EVDO too).. so i cant really comment on battery life..
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiz
    skype was causing my 700 to freeze and also not turn-off properly.. it also had problems connecting.. with that said.. when it was working, it worked rather well.. quality was not as good as on the computer.. but then again.. i was using the speaker on the treo, maybe if i used a headset it would be better..

i did not use skypeOut/In..

also, as for battery.. I am having enough battery issues with GoodLink (so i turned off EVDO, and just to note, skype seemed to work OK without EVDO too).. so i cant really comment on battery life..
    Same here. Skype just use a lot of memory. SkypeIn/Skypeout worked. Regarding battery life .I have my phone's EVDO on continously for almost 7 hrs (streaming xm media from http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile)From a full charge it went down to about 10 percent.( using cassette tape adaptor to radio)

Marcus, Glenn

Any updates on skype? Any latency? does it slow down the phone?
    did it freeze because of low memory? how was the latency when you used it?
    <merged>