1.    #1  
    While I know that using VW's EVDO connection but heres a dumb question that I don't see an answer to. When using my home network to surk on the phone will it use my data up(i'm on the 25MB for $20 plan) I would assume not because you're not using Verizons network to send recieve data but with Verizon you never know.
    Windows Mobile is pretty smart about using the lowest cost connection. If your Treo is in the cradle, it will use the pass-thru connection from the PC for all Internet connectivity. The same is true for using WiFi cards with Windows Mobile. If WiFi is available (thru a card) then the device will use that connection first, if available. It's smart.
  3.    #3  
    And just to make sure I understand 100% that will not eat up your data alottment.
    Yes - when connected to your PC's (it uses your PC's Internet connection), the Verizon EVDO/!xRTT data connection is not used. Ditto when connected via WiFi.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Would you rather use Wifi in situtions over evdo?
    Just a few off the top of my head....

• When you are not in an EVDO area.
    • When you are roaming...when roaming not data access thru carrier.
    • In a building where cannot get cell signal.
    • Don't want to pay $45 a month.
    • Want to connect to Wireless network to transfer files or stream video or music.
    • Have free WIFI network available, which in theory could be faster than your EVDO connection.
    • Need to connect to local network for IT management.
    • Use Wireless WIFI network instead of eating up limited bandwidth with limited data plan from your carrier
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ah ya that makes sense.

So you need a wifi card that goes in the sd slot so you can only use one or the other?
    Yup....and that is the crux of the whole debate for including WIFI in the phone or only supporting a WIFI card at the expense of the SD memory card and all the programs installed on it, extra available cache room, extra space to store email attachements, etc....

Also, only have WIFI support for a WIFI card because not having built in WIFI also forces you to load more programs into main memory reducing the amount of available memory to run your programs, multi task, cache, etc... Because any program you will need to use online with the WIFI card cannot be installed on the SD Card.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/06/2006 at 01:25 AM.
  9.    #9  
    I live in a rural area and don't have service at my house with any carrier. So having WiFi is a big plus for me. Also at work I need to get on the wireless network to check email through our intranet.
    Here is my question:
    If i am at home on my wireless network (Assuming i have a Wifi card):
    1: If i leave the Wifi on all the time - will it eat my battery REALLY fast?
    2: If i have wifi on - can i still receive phone calls normally?
    3: Will all of the email functions work properly over WIFI?
    Please help!
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    Here is my question:
    If i am at home on my wireless network (Assuming i have a Wifi card):
    1: If i leave the Wifi on all the time - will it eat my battery REALLY fast?
    2: If i have wifi on - can i still receive phone calls normally?
    3: Will all of the email functions work properly over WIFI?
    Please help!
    1. There is power saving options- in addition the wifi will sleep when the device is hibernating. But yes, 2 radios on is more of a drain than 1.

2. From a technology standpoint yes. Sprint's 6700 allows this. However, the i730 on VZ disables this ability via software. So Verizon will have had to get their head out of tehir *** for it to wrok on teh 700. Hopefully they did.

3. Yes
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2