Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1.    #1  
    I picked up my 700w today and, various misgivings that have been repeatedly cited aside, feel that it is a remarkable advance. Look, the 700w is far MORE internet enabled than my 650. The EVDO rocks as I have known for some time since I use an EVDO card on my laptop. It is so nice to have a much faster internet surf speed now, compared to the crap I dealt with through blazer and my Sprint acct.

    I also think the Verizon 'push' email system rocks. What a major improvement over my snappermail 'pulling' of email. Now we have blackberry-like email experiences with the Treo line. Thats great in my view.

    More memory and a much tighter feel and sharper look are added pluses too. But EVDO and push rock compared to the 650.
    Andrew
  2. #2  
    I stopped by a Verizon Kiosk today at the mall and they had a 700W on display. I tried it out and agree with all those reviews that say that one handed use and the 5-way navigation isn't as "good" as the Treo 650's.

    However, I do really like the EVDO's speed and hope that Sprint will carry the 700P (AND hope that the 700P will have EVDO as well).
  3. heckj's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #3  
    I disagree, I think the one handed use is great on the 700w. I was apprehensive at first, but after a few hours, I felt that the one handed use is just as good as the 600. I feel these reviewers do not really know all the ins and out of wm5 and how to navigate with the five way. I am a mac user and hate windows, so for me to love this phone it really has to be pretty good.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    I disagree, I think the one handed use is great on the 700w. I was apprehensive at first, but after a few hours, I felt that the one handed use is just as good as the 600. I feel these reviewers do not really know all the ins and out of wm5 and how to navigate with the five way. I am a mac user and hate windows, so for me to love this phone it really has to be pretty good.
    Well I'm not just agreeing with the reviewers. I've used WM devices, but not to the degree I have Palm devices, so I do know how to operate WM devices and know some of the ins and outs. For me, the Treo 650 still wins with one handed operation and 5-way navigation operation. It's because WM uses so many sub-menus and such that it takes longer to do things like dialing a contact than it does on the 650.
  5. #5  
    what additional features? apart from EVDO there is nothing spectacular
  6. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    what additional features? apart from EVDO there is nothing spectacular
    That's exactly it. Put EVDO in there and all of a sudden the phone is amazing. That's Palm's thinking. Most will be too overwhelemed with EVDO to realize the phone isn't all that impressive... initially at least.
  7. #7  
    I haven't used it yet, but after reading the TC review I have to think the 700W is a give and take product. Additional functions, at the cost of poor useability in many of the applications.

    I think I'll wait for the 700P (or whatever), or for a few more versions of WM. But I've watched many generations of PPC / WM come and go, and it still hasn't achieved the ease-of-use that Palm had years ago.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    That's exactly it. Put EVDO in there and all of a sudden the phone is amazing. That's Palm's thinking. Most will be too overwhelemed with EVDO to realize the phone isn't all that impressive... initially at least.

    Not me, and people got on my back for it! But is EVDO(add $45 to your monthly bill), BT 1.2 and wi-fi card support enough to go out out and spend another $400-$500 with contract(and you know they're going to make you extend it)? I guess you have to ask yourself that. For me, NO. Not when looking at I-mate offerings.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    I disagree, I think the one handed use is great on the 700w. I was apprehensive at first, but after a few hours, I felt that the one handed use is just as good as the 600. I feel these reviewers do not really know all the ins and out of wm5 and how to navigate with the five way. I am a mac user and hate windows, so for me to love this phone it really has to be pretty good.
    I owned and loved my Treo for 10 plus months. I have had my PPC-6600 for 14 months now. I have to disagree. With a little knowledge and handy app or utility or two, I can launch a program or have my WM phone dialing a number just as fast as I could on my Treo.

    Here is my answer in full of why I say that:

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=102

    .
  10.    #10  
    If anything sucks on the 700w, it is Active Sync. Otherwise, I like the 5-way, the 'ok' button. And I love the tight integration with my favorites, pictures, media, and desktop files. Lets don't forget the pdf viewing as well.

    I think the Treo650 breakthroughs still should apply here. That is, the Treo700w is a brother and part of the family. No major look differences or feel differences, but it is different. And, for me anyway, I really beat the heck out of my 650 and it was time for either a new one or the 700w. And having the 700w just a day, I can see what a neat difference it offers. Especially the push and EVDO.

    Its amazing how fast google comes up as well as the proceeding search of some item. Wow. Really quite good and fast. You can see the future with this thing.

    I bet Google is designing a handheld with even faster searching. The 'Pocket Google' with wither WM5 or its own Linux adaptation.. Would be interesting. They are sitting on several hundred billion in cash. They could do it and shake things up a bit.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not me, and people got on my back for it! But is EVDO(add $45 to your monthly bill), BT 1.2 and wi-fi card support enough to go out out and spend another $400-$500 with contract(and you know they're going to make you extend it)? I guess you have to ask yourself that. For me, NO. Not when looking at I-mate offerings.

    All too true, Lady Treo, all too true.

    They should have called it the Treo EVDOw, it's not really an improvment in the Treo line, certainly not worth 50 Treo points (from 650 to 700).
    Last edited by CmdrGuard; 01/06/2006 at 01:56 PM. Reason: grammatical error
  12. dedroid's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #12  
    More memory and a much tighter feel and sharper look are added pluses too.
    Are you nuts? The memory is the worst thing about this device. It has less program memory than the Treo 650 and Windows Mobile uses far more memory per application than the Palm OS. I personally like Windows Mobile better than the Palm OS but you have to have the memory to run it in and the Treo 700w simply does not have enough.

    Don't believe me? Just try running something like Pocket Informant and a couple of today plug-ins enabled.

    - DTG
  13. #13  
    the 700W plus the new jabra jx10 headset is an amazing pair....flawlessly connect, great volume and the other person cant tell it is a headset.

    i recommend every palm faithful give it a try. it is no risk for 2 weeks (provided you keep it well protected. you might be surprised with what you find.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Are you nuts? The memory is the worst thing about this device. It has less program memory than the Treo 650 and Windows Mobile uses far more memory per application than the Palm OS. I personally like Windows Mobile better than the Palm OS but you have to have the memory to run it in and the Treo 700w simply does not have enough.

    Don't believe me? Just try running something like Pocket Informant and a couple of today plug-ins enabled.

    - DTG
    That's exactly what I was thinking. WM uses more memory per application and the 700W's available memory for running applications is tiny. What a joke.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    That's exactly what I was thinking. WM uses more memory per application and the 700W's available memory for running applications is tiny. What a joke.
    I am running pocket informant and have opened pocket ie, pocket outlook, pocket powerpoint, the picture application, the dial pad, and the calculator with no problems. I know the actual figure of the memory is low, but does it matter if it doesn't affect productivity?
  16. #16  
    I have the Treo 700w I like it and will keep it, BUT, the lack of RAM does bother me and I will just wait and hope PPCTechs can do a RAM upgrade which I do agree 100% Palm cheaped out AGAIN. Even Palm OS Treo users complain about memory.
  17.    #17  
    what can that company do?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by orrgroup
    what can that company do?
    A web site is worth a thousand words

    http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main.as...it-0&area=home
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not me, and people got on my back for it! But is EVDO(add $45 to your monthly bill), BT 1.2 and wi-fi card support enough to go out out and spend another $400-$500 with contract(and you know they're going to make you extend it)? I guess you have to ask yourself that. For me, NO. Not when looking at I-mate offerings.
    Plus, EVDO is still not available in most places.

    I'm beginning to think EVDO is a bit overrated. I have a 1X CDMA device and a standard GPRS GSM device, which is half the speed of the 1X CDMA device. I use ThunderHawk, a web proxy service, and I can load CNN's web page on 1X in about 10 seconds. On GPRS, it's about 1-15 seconds. I can download 10 emails of average size on 1X in about 30 seconds. GPRS takes about 40 seconds. The only bad thing is Pocket IE, which is horribly slow no matter what speed you dial in at.

    The point is, even slow GPRS is adequate if you get the right software. Much software online software today (like WorldMate, Handmark Express etc) is optimized for slower data links. Don't get me wrong, I would love EVDO in my area. It never hurts to be faster. But I wouldn't go out and buy any device simply because it has EVDO and think it will suddenly make a world of difference.
  20. #20  
    I don't think EVDO is overrated at all..............It is awesome.

    It is not yet widely supported, unless you are in a one of the major metro areas.....which is why I still think WIFI is a great built in option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions