1.    #1  
    Can someone remind me why there are no "discuss this article" links for the articles on the home page of treocentral? I mainly wanted to comment on the article Michael wrote to say that he did an excellent job. Michael, you're obviously a man after my own heart when it comes to the area of usability design. We also have showing up today Walt Mossberg's and David Pogue's 700w reviews which also spend a good bulk of their words talking about the practical usability aspects of the WM5-based 700w.

Much to my chagrin, so much of the public is completely out of tune (and or simply doesn't care) about good usability if it comes at the cost of less features (which is not to say that consumers should have to choose between the two).

Sadly, there were no real surprises for me when reading Marcus' review. I suspected that the core usability issues I experienced with my PPC-6700 would still be present on the 700w, and that seems to be the case.

As I currently see the situation, there are some core usability issues that are so ingrained in the WM5 UI design (and the updated hardware guidelines set forth by MS - e.g., the dedicated "OK" button) which will always hold back these newest crop of WM devices from offering truly great usability. However, there is some good news...VS.NET 2005 appears to be quite mature and very powerful. This RAD development tool, combined with WM's dominance in the market, will mean more developers entering the fray, some of whom will be passionate about usability and will develop apps, hacks, etc. to improve the overall user experience of these devices.
    Last edited by Scott R; 01/05/2006 at 09:36 PM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    However, there is some good news...VS.NET 2005 appears to be quite mature and very powerful. This RAD development tool, combined with WM's dominance in the market, will mean more developers entering the fray, some of whom will be passionate about usability and will develop apps, hacks, etc. to improve the overall user experience of these devices.
    I wholeheartedly agree! Any platform is only as good as its developers. Marc Blank, please call your office!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I just returned treo 700w becasue of lack of "usuability" - did not like that 700w screen could not default to dial pad and no "easy" button for speakerphone like the 600/650. Hope Palm addresses these issues with 700P
    What about 'hacks'? Are there any for the 700w?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops
    I just returned treo 700w becasue of lack of "usuability" - did not like that 700w screen could not default to dial pad and no "easy" button for speakerphone like the 600/650. Hope Palm addresses these issues with 700P
    I never use the speakerphone myself, but I did hate the too-tiny (thumb-unfriendly) on-screen buttons for these type of pop-up notifications as I experienced them on the PPC-6700 as compared to the oversized (right-sized, IMO) on-screen buttons on my Treo 650.

I am curious about your comments about the dialpad, though. I never use the on-screen dialpad on my Treo 650 as I found it too tricky to accurately hit the numbers without looking (e.g., while driving) and preferred to either: a) Pressing a couple of hard alpha buttons to quickly pull up someone in my contact list, or b) Use the hard number buttons (as tiny as they are) when dialing a one-time-only number.
    Scott R, regarding dial pad screen, I sometimes I need to place a call while driving ( I know I'm not the only one) and the 600's dial pad is ideal for this. I did not like the 700's dial pad, that is - you have to find & press the tiny "dial pad" command to bring up the dial pad & then the #s are much smaller than 600's. FWIW, I also prefer the 600's dial pad to the 650's
    Once MS/Palm solve these two issues I will retry the 700W as I did like the 700W's EVDO & native MS Office apps. I would even pay 3rd party for the dialpad default screen & speakerphone easy button ( as we have on the 600/650)
    Hope this helps
  7.    #7  
    Have you tried getting used to just dialing with the hard button numbers? The buttons are tiny, so it's not ideal, but I still prefer it to using the virtual on-screen dialpad, as once you get your thumb positioned on the first number, you can hit the other numbers without looking.