Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone who has the 700 explain if the VZW Wireless Sync application can PUSH email, calendar, notes, contacts in realtime from an exhange server without a desktop application running with your PC on or this can only be simulated with an SMS triggered message?
    I believe the options for Wireless Sync are this:

1. You have a PC running a redirector for 1 or up to 20 individual accounts. This works over SSL on your local network. It's a kind of mini push server for Exchange or Notes server-based email. You dont need this for POP/IMAP accounts.
    2. You get the full blown Wireless Sync server add-on for your Exchange or Notes server. This is an enterprise class solution.

You can set up a quasi-push on the Treo 700w using the older feature of the built in Messaging application where Exchange servers can trigger an email to SMS push. This technology works most of the time but is not as reliable as true push. This is locatd in the ActiveSync settings under Schedule - Setup device to sync when new items arrive - set the Service Provider to Other and then set the number to be <ten digit phone number>@vtext.com.
  3.    #3  
    I didn't see the ActiveSync setup option to sync when new items arrive? This really stinks since the 700 was "supposed" to have DirectPush out of the box! Why not just stick to the 650 and use the ActiveSync client in VersaMail. Not much of a reason to switch in my opinion? I don't get Palm.
    I continue to think that I am in the minority on this, but I feel compelled to restate my position.

We have Exchange 2003 Server at work. I want to be able to sync my data OTA with the server. The Palm OS Treo 650 has VersaMail which lets you sync email and calendar with Exchange via Activesync, but nothing else (like contacts).

The VersaMail product, when compared to Pocket Outlook (or whatever they call it) is pathetic.

I switched back to Blackberry from my 650 because at least I could get a more full synchronization experience with the Exchange server (we do not have and will not be getting a GoodLink server0.

I agree that WM5 has drawbacks vs Palm OS for pure PDA and phone purposes, but the full Activesync/Pocket Outlook kicks the crap out of VersaMail for Exchange server integration.

The entire time I had my 650 I was looking for products to make it even close to Blackberry/PPC/WM5. Never found it. The closest thing I could find was NexChange (and it never worked).

The 700w will likely displace my Blackberry 8700c.
    Please excuse my ignorance on this matter... I dont know that much about servers etc.. I also use a treo 650 and HATE the email compared to my old Blackberry.
    I was under the impression that this new Windows 5.0 had "Push" email - similar to the blackberry. Here is what i know about our server:
    -Its pop3 enabled and its exchange (what version - i dont know)
    -And we all use Outlook

What would be the best way to set up this new 700w to get as close to "push" email as possible? I dont understand the difference between wireless sync and sync with Versamail... Please help
    Microsoft has not released The Messaging & Security Feature Pack for Treo the 700w yet.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx

"Messaging and Security Feature Pack

The Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) is a critical component of Microsoftís Enterprise messaging effort, and brings a faster, more direct messaging experience and improved security management to Windows Mobile.

With the improved security features, IT administrators has the ability to better manage and protect information on a device with features such as remote swipe and security policy enforcement (so users donít disable security features). The feature pack also includes Direct Push Technology, which enables instant push email that is not dependent on the carrierís SMS services, so it works globally.

Unfortunately Microsoftís Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Treo 700w is not available at launch, but will be available as a download later this year. Palm elected not to include MSFP to get the 700w to market quicker, as additional testing and certification remains on MSFP.

To take full advantage of MSFP when it is released, you are required to use an Exchange server that runs service pack 2."
    Last edited by brmcguire; 01/06/2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    every wm5 user is waiting for this release,. Atleast the ones with exchange...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    How can i find out if my current server will support this release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    I believe the options for Wireless Sync are this:

1. You have a PC running a redirector for 1 or up to 20 individual accounts. This works over SSL on your local network. It's a kind of mini push server for Exchange or Notes server-based email. You dont need this for POP/IMAP accounts.
    2. You get the full blown Wireless Sync server add-on for your Exchange or Notes server. This is an enterprise class solution.
    One thing to add, the Verizon Wireless Sync product is a rebranded Nokia/Intellisync Carrier Platform product. Certain devices (Treo 650 is one and I am sure the 700w is also) have the ability to recieve IP based push messages. Meaning that when your mailbox on the Domino or Exchange server are updated with a new message or PIM information, a network message is sent to the device transparantly via its IP addy (not SMS) causing a synchronization to occur. I do not believe that the Verizon consumer version has this functionality enabled, but the Enterprise solution does have this ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    How can i find out if my current server will support this release?

2003 sp2 exchange only I believe.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    How can i find out if my server is 2003 sp2 exchange? Thats what i meant... Sorry
  12.    #12  
    I think the entire Treo 700 purchasing community has been mislead. The single most important feature touted by MS and Palm for the 700 has been DirectPush. No exact release date on the update either, just "later this year." Ridiculous. At least 20 business associates of mine, including myself, that were considering a 700 will now hold off on their purchase until the messaging update is available. Not enough of a compelling reason to upgrade at this time.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This is truly dissapointing. The only thing I can think of is they couldnt get it to work. With all the hype and press conference there is no reason this shouldnt be push. I have executives all over me because I have been telling them for a year that this is coming and time and time again it never comes.

First you needed SP2
    then you needed windows Mobile 5
    now we need a feature pack.

Obviously, they cant get it working.
  14.    #14  
    I agree, it is an outrage! This is going to cause major problems for Palm, MS, and the public. I am faced with the same situation within my organization. Purchase orders have been cancelled and any 700's purchased will be returned!!!
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    What's wrong with having activesync sync "as new items arrive"? It's not direct push, but it's not much slower. I don't have the 700w, but I have a wm2003 and wm5 phone and they both sync and show email even before my outlook client on my pc does, so I KNOW that my phones are receiving data very fast from the exchange box.

On my phone, when I set up to sync with exchange, the "as new items arrive" is not there by default, it only shows up after your first sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    What's wrong with having activesync sync "as new items arrive"? It's not direct push, but it's not much slower. I don't have the 700w, but I have a wm2003 and wm5 phone and they both sync and show email even before my outlook client on my pc does, so I KNOW that my phones are receiving data very fast from the exchange box.

On my phone, when I set up to sync with exchange, the "as new items arrive" is not there by default, it only shows up after your first sync.
    Well, for one it would require that you have a monster text messaging plan. That is a lot of SMS messages. I don't think Verizon even offers an unlimited SMS plan.
  17.    #17  
    I believe you are right. It really should have been released with DirectPush to eliminate all this hastle.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Whats wrong is that they has this huge media driven press conference jumping up and down about it being push. So finally, admins like myself who have been promising an alternative to Blackberry can say its finally out.

I read while searching that this may be the reason we wont see this feature pack for some time:

"One of the probable reasons why the software giant doesnít provide AKU 2.0 for any device available in the U.S. or Europe is the recent legal action filed by Visto. The complaint asserts that Microsoft has infringed upon multiple patents Visto holds regarding proprietary technology that provides enterprises and consumers with mobile access to their email and other data."
    This is a timing issue - Microsoft has to get a population of Windows Mobile 5 devices into the market and then release the Exchange 2003 feature pack for SP2. It's still a new area for MS and I predict a huge future area of business to rival RIM's BES technology. It's going to be a lot cheaper to deploy DirectPush than to deploy and continually pay for BES servers.
  20.    #20  
    that's correct but sp2 for exchange has already been released and deployed for the most part. there are just no clients to make use of it as a result of the service pack issue. Our IT guys can't understand or believe they released the 700 without this! A lot of disappointment out there, from whar I am hearing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast