Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Get a grip folks - there are NO devices in the US that are yet running the MSFP update. You haven't been misled - you just haven't been paying close attention. A big difference.
  2.    #22  
    the point is the 700 was demonstrated at the launch conference by MS, Palm and Verizon as having DirectPush capability. The launch conference was a media event, that's the same thing as advertising that the product has this feature. It does explain all of the disappointment and confusion out there.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Get a grip folks - there are NO devices in the US that are yet running the MSFP update. You haven't been misled - you just haven't been paying close attention. A big difference.

You are not paying attention. As far back as the samsung i730 they said it would have the push update. Then they said SP2 was pushed back.

They releases SP2 late fall and then said WM 2003 would not work with push, you needed WM 5. Then they announce the Treo in the already mentioned press conference as a true push device. No mention of a feature pack.

WM 5 devices show up and still no push.

A lawsuit is announced against MS for patent infringement and the Treo comes with no MSFP.

It was pulled to prevent those devices from being pulled off the shelves If Ms loses. Or, MS cant get it working.

Next we will hear you need WM 2006 or Exchange 12.
    FYI push email works with a hotmail account. So yes Microsoft has figured it out.
  5.    #25  
    how do you get push mail working with a hotmail account on the 700?
    In settings > MSN Options there is a hotmail tab, make sure that "Download new email automaticaly" is checked. Then there is an SMS tab, in there you want to make sure that the check box is NOT enabled.

Hope you find that useful!
  7.    #27  
    are there notification options to wake up the device when its off?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    How instant is it? I found hotmail (regular web site through a PC) to be slow receiving messages in general but havent tested it too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    NRosser is right - keep your hair on folks, it is not the end of the world, and it is not Palm's fault - it is a Microsoft thing.. it will come soon, and it the meantime I think that if you forked out top dollars for a 700w then the cost of some extra text messages for 2-3months won't kill you!!!

Some further reading for you to get up to speed on MSFP and associated issues... geekzone is excellent..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5554

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5567

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4638
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Tested the Hotmail feature a bit. It does indead get messages almost instantly if there is an active data connection on. Thats the bad part though...needs to be active not dormant.

Also it does not send right away. That requires you do do a send/receive. So in practice its not really a good solution. Unless you use Hotmail then I would say to skip it.

The integration with Outlook Mobile is nice though...but again only if your a hotmail user.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I didn't know that the Hotmail setup through that Pocket MSN application was push...that's pretty nice. I've had this Qtek since October/November and decided not to use that feature since Hotmail seems to get so much spam.

I am using the SMS triggered email with my WM5 phone and I am getting email usually within 10-30 seconds of it being sent. Is that not fast enough for you guys? It is good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I didn't know that the Hotmail setup through that Pocket MSN application was push...that's pretty nice. I've had this Qtek since October/November and decided not to use that feature since Hotmail seems to get so much spam.

I am using the SMS triggered email with my WM5 phone and I am getting email usually within 10-30 seconds of it being sent. Is that not fast enough for you guys? It is good enough for me.
    Quick enough, yes.... Can we afford it? No. That would be 40-50 SMS messages per day on a slow day for me. I already pay a fortune for unlimited data.

I personally find it to be a failure on Microsoft's part. NOWHERE on Microsoft's site do they indicate this feature is not yet available. I am an IT consultant and every piece of material I've received for over six months has indicated all you needed was Windows Mobile 5 and Exchange 2003 SP2. I've been telling my customers for months that it was coming soon. Now I've bought my personal 700w and they'll want to know why they can't do it too.

Chris Green
    Quote Originally Posted by CGreenTX
    NOWHERE on Microsoft's site do they indicate this feature is not yet available. I am an IT consultant and every piece of material I've received for over six months has indicated all you needed was Windows Mobile 5 and Exchange 2003 SP2.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx

this page talks about "using Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) with the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0" non-stop!!

"Devices and upgrades will be available sometime early next calendar year through our major device maker (OEM) and mobile operator partners. Please contact your device maker or mobile operators for more details regarding availability, or sign up to get e-mail announcements about Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 delivered directly to you."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12