Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Walt is usually pretty fair-minded in his articles.

I didn't know why he was so negative. .... until I used a 700w. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    also keep in mind that the bright Treo 650 also has it's brightness set at 50% (most likely)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I think a lot of the complaints of this kind stem from a couple points:

1) Not knowing all the tools available for WM, or probably more true to the point...how to use them if they even know they exist in the first place.
    2) Hardware buttons of the phone

I just answered this question in detail wtih screen shots on another thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=102
    Well, I hope this is a wake up call for Palm one and get bugs worked out and descent features on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    - No DUN
    Not for long.
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    microsoft fortunately didn't surprise us. clearly there is no rush to go w... don't hear anything that cries buy me..
    my main interest would be the media player (even tho I'm a power ptunes user - for radio that requires a win plug-in) and evdo but sprint speed is never much of a problem..
    unfortunately the June Fabrics DUN solution won't work for Mac users.

We need a shadowmite-type solution. :-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just picked mine up about an hour ago.. had my T650 since day one and had a T600.. I had really high hopes for this one.. I hate it.

The constant pop up telling me that the phone is connecting to the network is beyond annoying, the PDF reader has blown up and crashed on about 3 of 5 pdf files and the web browser feels like I'm looking at a website through a pinhole.

Bummer.. back to VZ it goes and I'll stick with my T650 from Sprint until the 700p comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by scmguru
    I just picked mine up about an hour ago.. had my T650 since day one and had a T600.. I had really high hopes for this one.. I hate it.

The constant pop up telling me that the phone is connecting to the network is beyond annoying, the PDF reader has blown up and crashed on about 3 of 5 pdf files and the web browser feels like I'm looking at a website through a pinhole.

Bummer.. back to VZ it goes and I'll stick with my T650 from Sprint until the 700p comes out.
    I think that this is one reason that WM gets such a bad rep on Palm OS boards and Palm OS gets such a bad rep on WM boards....is that when someone jumps to the other side of the fence they don't give themselves enough time to learn just a little bit about the brand new device or OS.

For example........You can disable the pop up:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Nuther cool tip of the day: Remove the unneeded "connecting to sprint cellular line 777" dialogue by going to settings>personal>sounds and notifications>notifications>connection established uncheck display message on screen.
    There are other PDF readers out there that work great.

The other thing to remember is that this is device has only been available for less than 72 hours!!!! If you pick one up now, you will have to assume and expect that there will be some bugs in the phone. Historically Palm has been pretty good at releasing updates to fix this bugs.

So if your concerns are easily fixed with the knowledge that can fix it (i.e. where to go in the settings), an update, or alt 3rd party solution, then why take it back?
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg
    But lots of tasks on the Treo 700w require extra steps. On the 650, one click of a button takes you to email. On the 700w, two button presses are necessary. On the 650, the leading email programs allow you to delete a message by pressing one key. On the 700w, you have to press a key, view a menu and then press a second key.

And the email program lacks many of the advanced features of VersaMail or SnapperMail on the Palm-based Treo. For instance, there's no simple way to delete -- or to mark as read -- large groups of messages.
    1) Function- backspace will delete an email msg without the menu popping up.

2) Multiple select email messages and tap & hold to select Mark As Read or Delete from the context menu.

Did this guy even ask anyone who knows what anything about WM?

Incompetent reviews hardly help folks make informed decisions.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    why doesn't it just remain connected so there is no message to supress?

My T650 only says "connecting to PCS Vision" once after power-up.

If it had to do it each time the delay would be horrible. Kind of kills some of the speed advantage of EVDO.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    why doesn't it just remain connected so there is no message to supress?

My T650 only says "connecting to PCS Vision" once after power-up.
    I don't believe that's the default setting on a Sprint 650 unless you have software (Chatter, VeriChat) holding the connection open.

A small registry change keeps the PPC6700 online all the time, the same tweak likely works on the 700W as well.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    There was a registry hack that fixed the Ev-DO auto-disconnect on the PPC-6700 (though I'm not sure if there are any negative side effects as it begs the question as to why it doesn't work this way out of the box). I'd be it works on the 700w as well.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I was a POS fan since 1997 and switched to PPC Jan 2005. Both platforms have pros and cons and both need 3rd party software to make them better. It is irritating to read reviews from those who have not learned to appreciate the advantages of both platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    (though I'm not sure if there are any negative side effects as it begs the question as to why it doesn't work this way out of the box).
    Getting your bill if you didn't sign up for an unlimited data plan might be a negative side effect. Battery life is affected by always-on data as well.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I was a POS fan since 1997 and switched to PPC Jan 2005. Both platforms have pros and cons and both need 3rd party software to make them better. It is irritating to read reviews from those who have not learned to appreciate the advantages of both platforms.
    Sometimes, I think that posters like you and Hobbes are the only ones that have a damn clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    Sometimes, I think that posters like you and Hobbes are the only ones that have a damn clue.
    Thanks. I count it a privilege to be put in the same sentence with Hobbes.
    Thanks guys...It's nice to know that someone reads my rambling posts once in a while.
    I used to have an Apple Newton when I was in medical school. Then I had a windows powered Casio pocket pc. Then I bought one of the original Palm Pilots and have had one in one form or another since the original.

Here's my take. I'm always going to use the device that works the best and most efficiently for me. For me that means Windows on my desktop, iPod mp3 player and a Palm-powered PDA: Treo 650. Now if I find out that the 700W is truly a better machine and have that demonstrated to me, I'll get one. Until then consider me a POS loyalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Well, I hope this is a wake up call for Palm one and get bugs worked out and descent features on the 700p.
    Most of the things Mossberg is complaining about aren't "bugs." They're the way WM / PPC works. If you don't like it (and I don't) stick with Palm. As Mossberg and TC have said, this device isn't aimed at converting legions of Palm OS users. It's aimed at the corporate crowd who won't buy anything that doesn't run a M$ OS. And most of them won't know or care about how it compares to the Palm OS.

I've tried various WM / PPC devices over the years. I've used a couple of them extensively for work reasons, testing and prototyping custom software. I think I gave them a fair chance and came to understand how they work. I still think that, in general, Palm OS is far more user friendly. For people not familiar with Palm, WM seems easier because it's more familiar. But with just a little bit of learning curve, the Palm OS almost always requires fewer steps (keystrokes, taps, whatever) to do most tasks. WM frequently requires the user to navigate a menu where P-OS will have a simple button. WM requires multiple key strokes, (Function / other key) where P-OS suffices with one.

Both systems work, both systems can be learned, but in my experience Palm devices, both OS and apps, are simpler to use on a handheld device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast