1.    #1  
    I have the Treo 600 right now so I'm sure the 700w will be a big jump. I just ordered it not less than an hour ago.

But my friend has a Treo 650 w/ Sprint and after reviewing the features list was telling me he just didn't hardly see any worthwhile differences between the two.

I told him to me it seems to be at least of an improvement as the 650 was over the 600.

I think he's just talking $hit because now I've one-upped him.

(He started with the 300, I got the 600, he got the 650, now I'm getting the 700w)
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    so you ordered it already, but you want a comparative list between the 650 and 700w?
    Here's an advantage: you get to bone up on your online ordering skills as you re-purchase all those 3rd party s/w applications you've added to your 600. Keep the economy steaming; there's one born every minute!
    I know the camera is up to 1.3 MP instead of 0.3 MP.

I think I read WiFi will be enabled, but that could pan out negatively.
    700W has EV-DO

(You could have waited 2 months and had that in the 700P on Sprint) IMHO

What is your carrier? If you have had Verizon all this time, your friend has one-upped you on data rates big time!

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/05/2006 at 12:42 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    so you ordered it already, but you want a comparative list between the 650 and 700w?
    I have the 600 now and it's about on its last leg... locks up constantly, batter life is horrible. I bought the 600 within 48 hours of its initial release, decided to skip on the 650 and just upgrade to the 700 when it came out.

I'm sure going 600 to 700w will be a huge jump regardless. I just wanted to know the 650 vs 700w because my buddy is ragging on me about it.

Y'all are so unbelievably pessimistic about this phone, it's almost like you're getting defensive about the 650 because you have one??
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I plan on getting the 700w today or tomorrow. It will be my first pdaphone which will be a huge jump for me (also due to the fact that I am actually phoneless right now and have been for 5 months ).

I've come to realize that a lot of what is said on these forums is biased. Of course, bias isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when it comes in such huge quantities (say, 8 people bashing a certain aspect of a device instead of 2) then it wears on you. You will hear a lot of people complaining about how you cant do x, y, and z when what they really mean is you cant do x, y, and z the same way; some will continue on this path and bloviate about the failure of the device instead of realizing that whether it works better or worse is a subjective, user-based decision and the odds are if you have used palm then you should probably wait for palm and if you love windows then you wouldnt do poorly to jump on this device.

I'd say try it out then pistol/treo-whip your friend when he/she gives you lip about it
  8.    #8  
    Another difference it seems that I haven't heard anyone mention...

My friend's phone (650) takes pics at 640x480, which is 307200 pixels, or in other words, 0.3 megapixels. This new 700 says it takes them at 1.3 megapixels (1280x1024?). But I swear I've heard people say the 650 is 1.3MP. So either his phone isn't setup properly or this is another advantage of the 700?

My 600's pics are crap. You have to be in a perfectly lit room and a very close distance to even be able to tell what it is in the picture...
    Quote Originally Posted by Threxx
    Another difference it seems that I haven't heard anyone mention...

My friend's phone (650) takes pics at 640x480, which is 307200 pixels, or in other words, 0.3 megapixels. This new 700 says it takes them at 1.3 megapixels (1280x1024?). But I swear I've heard people say the 650 is 1.3MP. So either his phone isn't setup properly or this is another advantage of the 700?

My 600's pics are crap. You have to be in a perfectly lit room and a very close distance to even be able to tell what it is in the picture...
    The 650 is 0.3mp just like the 600, but it does better in low light than the camera in the 600 so the pictures come out better on a 650 than the 600
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    700w screen is 240 x 240 pixels while 650 screen is 320 x 320.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    i had my 600 for a good year and a half and having jumped from that to the 700w, i'm totally missing the datebook and messaging buttons that are replaced with start and ok buttons. i know i can put my calendar & messaging on my today screen, but it gets totally cluttered, which doesn't look all that great or just reprogram the buttons, but i've learned to adjust. reading other posts, it seems like if you like the palm os, you're better off sticking with the 650 or waiting for the 700p, and if you don't mind wm, then the 700w will work for you.
    Last edited by roogolly; 01/08/2006 at 06:18 PM.
    Is it really important for you to have "one-upped" your friend? Here you go...put some bling on it and be done with it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    700w screen is 240 x 240 pixels while 650 screen is 320 x 320.
    and if you owned a 20" LCD, how would you feel if the replacement model was a 17"
    the 700 isn't meant to be the successor to the 650 - it's not 'better than' the 650 at all. It's meant to be just another option for folks out there, who want Windows Mobile in an easy to use format. So - there may be quite a few things that your friend's 650 does that the 700 cannot, and by the same token your 700 can do some things that his cannot.

The 700 is NOT the 'next' Treo - it's the 'other' Treo.
    this screen resolution issue is BS.. the buttons on the 650 screen are HUGE compared to the buttons on the 700.. the LCD isnt cristal clear like on a PSP but it is certainly clear enough for a 300$ phone

the main screen of the palm OS treo looks like the programs list on hte 700.. the today screen fits like 9 extra features on there with 1 clicks that the plam os treo dosnt even have.

the screens are the same size... if i wanted the text to get any smaller when im browsing the web i wouldnt be able to even make out lines of text as words without a magnifying glass.

the treo 700 pwns the 650 for everything (exept possibly email wich i havent even gotten to setting up on my treo becuse im to bussy setting up all the billions of other features the windows os has).

the transition from the 650 to the 700 is NOT like transitioning from a 20" lcd to a 17" thats a stupid analogy

700wulz,

clearly you have a issue with your small size...but go ahead and say it... size doesnt matter

I like WM5, but clearly Palm had to dumb down the Treo to drop the resolution from 320x320 to 240x240 and I think that is a huge compromise to make it work. If you think its all about 9 buttons on a screen, you might as well get a Nokia 6100. These devices are capable of GPS Navigation (I use TomTom), Full Web Browsing, MS Office Application viewing/editing etc... and all of those are much better on higher resolutions (regardless of the OS). It's great that Palm offers different OS choices on their Treo's but its too bad they had to compromise on resolution. (I guess you run your 20" LCD at 640x480?)
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    I like WM5, but clearly Palm had to dumb down the Treo to drop the resolution from 320x320 to 240x240 and I think that is a huge compromise to make it work. If you think its all about 9 buttons on a screen, you might as well get a Nokia 6100. These devices are capable of GPS Navigation (I use TomTom), Full Web Browsing, MS Office Application viewing/editing etc... and all of those are much better on higher resolutions (regardless of the OS). It's great that Palm offers different OS choices on their Treo's but its too bad they had to compromise on resolution. (I guess you run your 20" LCD at 640x480?)
    I can't understand why they didn't make it 320x320 and deal with the increased horizontal resolution in the same way they are dealin with the decreased resolution.

I didn't even realize the mapping issue. While many of us never get close to GPS navigation and I'd probably say the percentage of users is in single digit percentages, many would use it for local maps like Mapopolis. No need for extra equipment. I remember what it was like on the Treo 600. It wasn't pretty and at times downright difficult to read. Adding 80 extra lines of resolution is good but it's certain not near 160 lines of additional resolution. That also goes for the rest of the phone's functions.