Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at the mall last night (Wed) and asked the Verizon salesman when the 700W will be in the store. he said tomorrow. I said "do you have one I can look at?" and he said "sure" and brought one out. Phone was not activated so I could not experience EVDO.

Here are a few brief mental notes:

Screen not as sharp as 650

kybd requires less force and easier to type on than 650.

switching between apps much snapier, w/o the delay that plaques the 650.

It was not that bad getting around on windoz.

Can't wait to go play with it again after it's activated.
    Your first point about the screen is enough to stop me in my tracks. Traditional phones are getting resolutions of 240x320 now ... I shouldn't have to take less on a high-end smartphone.
    lower screen resolution is a deal killer for me. It one of the reasons I waited for the Treo 650 over the 600.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    lower screen resolution is a deal killer for me. It one of the reasons I waited for the Treo 650 over the 600.
    I have to agree. I actually like WM and have a Dell Pocket PC, I use for alot of things. And I would be very interested in the 700W when made available by Sprint; but I absolutely refuse to go to an inferior screen from what I have on my 650. I am actually thinking quite seriously about the 6700.
    Before you bail on 240 x 240, look at a unit. Compare to the 650. Don't decide just based on paper. I've seen one as well - it's virtually the same. Esp if you increase the brightness.
    Yeah, seriously look at one in person. I looked at one this morning at it was great. I mean, IT'S A 2 INCH SCREEN! It's not like it's a 60" plasma, guys. While I agree it's annoying that they decreased the screen resolution, it should not be a deal breaker. We are not to the point in technology where we have the perfect convergence device.

We are still 5 years away from a device that takes great photos, has great cell reception, surfs the internet at blazing speads and has great AV performance and battery life but will still fit in your pocket. Let's all ground our expectations just a little here. Yes the device is expensive but it's not 2010 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Yeah, seriously look at one in person. I looked at one this morning at it was great. I mean, IT'S A 2 INCH SCREEN! It's not like it's a 60" plasma, guys. While I agree it's annoying that they decreased the screen resolution, it should not be a deal breaker. We are not to the point in technology where we have the perfect convergence device.

We are still 5 years away from a device that takes great photos, has great cell reception, surfs the internet at blazing speads and has great AV performance and battery life but will still fit in your pocket. Let's all ground our expectations just a little here. Yes the device is expensive but it's not 2010 yet.
    LOL... good point. My brand new 2000 dollar 42" 3LCD Sony has a res of 1280x768 which is what pretty much all widescreen DLP/LCD/Plasmas run except for the high end ones are starting to hit 1280x1024.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    What's the difference in pixel count between the 650 and 700?
    what da f*!@#ck ?!?! what is PALM thinking???

That's definitely a turn-off! I bet they're going to use the same poor excuse as they did for the built-in camera... "it uses less power"!!!
    You guys need to learn a little more about what you're talking about. The reduced resolution on the WM5 Treo is not a result of Palm cutting corners. It's a requirement of the WM5 operating system. MS developers didn't want to have to scale both the veritcal and horizontal resolutions of all their programs and OS, so they had Palm change the resolution on the new Treo so they only have to scal vertically now.

ONCE AGAIN, the reduced resolition is NOT because of Palm cutting corners.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Forgive my ignorance, what's "WM5" and "OS"?
    240x240 IS a Microsoft restriction, but Palm could also have chosen 480x480. Palm still chose the cheaper screen (but HP has also dont the same).

Surur
    WM does NOT support 320x320 and if they put in 480x480 people would complain about battery life etc. I had the hw6515 the first 240x240 and it was just fine what what it was a pdaphone, not a pda. Agreed I would like a higher res screen, but until we get better battery life with it I will take the 240x240.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    wm = windows mible
    os = operating system
    correct, pocket pc is currently limited to: 240 x 320, 240 x 240, 480 x 640, and 480 x 480, however this is a TRIVIAL fix for microsoft if they truely did partner with palm to create this device. this simply is not the case. Microsoft didn't do anything special for palm, and palm went the cheap route.
    I was wondering what would happen if you loaded the pocket pc resolution program on it and changed it to 320x320.
    Looks like the 650 is going to be my last Palm product.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I haven't seen a 700w yet, but I am undecided, the screen isn't a big deal, I am just really very happy with my 650, I would like to see more memory and a better web browser and to be honest if I had those two I wouldn't switch and this is what makes me think about waiting till the 700p, if that is even going to be real, but on the 700w if the bluetooth is better and I can use PIE with EVDO that might actually change my mind, I like my 650 its great, but I would love to have better bluetooth, I should have listed that about in what I wanted.... oh well
    I to am curious what people think about the bluetooth implementation on this device. It is awful on the 650
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    The bluetooth is so bad that I am almost tempted to go back to a wired headset in the car to talk, sometimes I have such a hard time understanding anyone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast