Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Wow! From reading the review by Pogue in the New York Times.... I'll definitely be praying for a Palm version of the 700. It sounds pretty poor...except for EV-DO
    Could you post a link?
    do you have a link
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    NYTimes:
    There are certainly bright spots in the 700W. It's brisk and responsive, it feels great in your hand and it does a lot of stuff....

But considering that Palm's designers once worshipped at the altar of interface excellence, it's a shame that Microsoft's convoluted software has produced such an awkward marriage with the hardware. Longtime Treo fans, in particular, will be absolutely baffled by the new software layout.
    Like it or not, Windows Mobile also teaches you about memory management. Every time you open a program, it stays open in the background, even if you close its window. Sooner or later, you'll run into the "Program Memory Low" error message, requiring you to shut down programs manually in a special list box.
    Hah, thats Windoze for you. This Treo 700 really has earned the "w".

That quote is from the NY times review.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Doesn't sound so bad. Sounds more like Pogue's lack of love for Microsoft (he's a long time Mac-head and I've spoken to him before.) His criticisms aren't really that harsh actually. I do agree that some of MS' built in software is just bad, but Palm's isn't that great either. Big deal. You'll get a third party enhancer or app and end of story.
    Clearly written by someone who is not familiar with WM. Most of these issues are known and worked around by using add-ons (Wisbar, Pocket+, Pocketnav, etc. etc.) This is no different from how we used hacks, launchers, and PowerRun to work around Palm quirks.
    Here is another review from the Wall St. Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...s_free_feature
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    the wsj statement on pop email usage is wrong. it does not disconect every time.
    Like it or not, Windows Mobile also teaches you about memory management. Every time you open a program, it stays open in the background, even if you close its window. Sooner or later, you'll run into the "Program Memory Low" error message, requiring you to shut down programs manually in a special list box.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    Hah, thats Windoze for you. This Treo 700 really has earned the "w".
    Each and every modern OS out there will allow you to keep opening apps until you run out of memory. That's hardly unique to MS operating systems.

Granted, WM could do a better job of displaying what apps are active and allowing you to kill them, but there are many 3rd party utils to do this.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Yeah, but I really hate the fact that even when you exit programs or even turn off the device, the programs don't shut down. That should be a given WITHOUT 3rd party software.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    who is that in your avatar lady treo?
    Me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    WM5 automatically closes programs as needed for you!!!...makes me wonder about this guy....
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yeah, but I really hate the fact that even when you exit programs or even turn off the device, the programs don't shut down. That should be a given WITHOUT 3rd party software.
    Not true of WM5...it shuts down/manages memory usage as needed...you have the option to shut them down if you like.. and they even made it easier to do on the 700w.....

Geez...all these reviews from non WM users are spreading bad info....
    For a PPC users, the fast response of treo 700w is the only information they need from all these reviews. All other bad info from those reviews come from those reviews' ignorance.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Not true of WM5...it shuts down/manages memory usage as needed...you have the option to shut them down if you like.. and they even made it easier to do on the 700w.....

Geez...all these reviews from non WM users are spreading bad info....
    I have a WM5 device. I am always manually shutting down programs that are still running even though I exited them, because I don't see the need for them to keep running when I exited them. I view it as a waste of power and RAM.

Here's another example: On older Treos, you could write a new appointment directly onto, say, the 3:30 p.m. line of the calendar's Day view. Microsoft's version offers no such instant gratification. Instead, creating a new appointment requires choosing starting and ending times from pop-up menus inside a dialogue box. Only half-hour increments are available; let's hope you never have a 4:45 train to catch.
    Okay, this is another one people are complaining about, but it's deceptive. Yes, when you click the drop down box, it lists by half-hour increments. But, you are perfectly free to edit it and enter in whatever time you want. I have a class that ends at 11:18, and I had no problem in the world setting the end time to 11:18 myself. It's apparant that many of the people writing these quick negative reviews haven't taken much time with the device at all, just a fast run through and slam from Palm fans.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I have a WM5 device. I am always manually shutting down programs that are still running even though I exited them, because I don't see the need for them to keep running when I exited them. I view it as a waste of power and RAM.
    Well then you will like the new two button procedure the 700w comes with

In reality if the developer followed correct programing guidlines it will not effect the device at ALL being in the background...that is if its not doing anything... i could link to programers guidlines the highlights how this works but I really dont think anyone is really interested is the specifics.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast