Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow... lets not get suckered into a POS vs WM5 debate

Please people.. this is not an POS device...nor is it intended to replace them... its for the WM people

Keep happily using your POS devices.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Well then you will like the new two button procedure the 700w comes with

In reality if the developer followed correct programing guidlines it will not effect the device at ALL being in the background...that is if its not doing anything... i could link to programers guidlines the highlights how this works but I really dont think anyone is really interested is the specifics.
    They eat up my RAM, that's enough for me to shut them down. The programs running are the original MS programs. I didn't load anything else on it. Of course, this is a low RAM device, I'm getting a better one so I don't have to keep worrying about RAM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    They eat up my RAM, that's enough for me to shut them down. The programs running are the original MS programs. I didn't load anything else on it. Of course, this is a low RAM device, I'm getting a better one so I don't have to keep worrying about RAM.
    You must be using WM 2003 or earlier as all WM5 devices to date (the question is still out on the 700w) have come out with 64MBs of memory/128MBs storage.

WM5 uses memory in an entirely new way. Your device shared memory between storage and memory...

Please people.. this is not an POS device...nor is it intended to replace them... its for the WM people

And are hardcore WM users happy with what looks like 32MB RAM on a $500 device(and that's with a contract)?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You must be using WM 2003 or earlier as all WM5 devices to date (the question is still out on the 700w) have come out with 64MBs of memory/128MBs storage.

WM5 uses memory in an entirely new way. Your device shared memory between storage and memory...
    Not this cheapo: HP iPAQ rx1955. But I only paid $263 so I'm not going to sweat it that much. But no more 32MB for me after this.

6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Do you own a WM5 device?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Do you own a WM5 device?
    Sprint 6700 (just sent it back after a month of having it)
    Samsung i730 (WM2003)
    MS Developer Smartphone (WM2003)
    HP 5550 (WM2003)
    Treo 700w (on Friday)
    is a Die Hard Treo fan. If he has rubbished it then l am really worried
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    is a Die Hard Treo fan. If he has rubbished it then l am really worried
    read: Palm OS fan. Judging by both of these reviews the people are just Palm OS fans who didn't give WM5 a fair shot. His point on the email glitch is valid, although I don't really consider this an issue and I'm sure many others don't either, many of us don't need to keep the data connection open 24/7. Either way, Microsoft has said a fix is coming, so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

Also don't forget there's an anti-Microsoft mentality in the tech community. A lot of people just consider anything Microsoft to be terrible and go into it with pessimistic views.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Really Zorn? It disconnect from the data network after checking POP3? I have not seen another WM5 device (phone edition) do that yet...odd.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

Really so than when does my Treo 650 get wifi support??? Since WM is for Windows people and Palm OS is for palm people?
    Really Zorn? It disconnect from the data network after checking POP3? I have not seen another WM5 device do that yet...odd.
    Ya, it's a bug, and Microsoft have said a fix is coming. It's probably not a hard fix, and shouldn't take long. Consider that this is the only major bug that Mossberg has listed in his review, the 650 had many others, the worst of which was the constant crashing/rebooting.

My 650 would restart itself when I looked at it funny. That's pretty much been an acknowledged & accepted Treo 650 thing, but at least the Palm OS isn't made by Microsoft, so its problems are excusable.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    Really so than when does my Treo 650 get wifi support??? Since WM is for Windows people and Palm OS is for palm people?
    I got that information from Palms CEO (Ed?) by watching the press conference... he made it very clear that the 700w is not a replacement but a supplemental product line.

He assured loyal Palm OS fans that they were going to continue develpment of that product line...but he also said very clearly that there would be no Linux version as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    read: Palm OS fan. Judging by both of these reviews the people are just Palm OS fans who didn't give WM5 a fair shot. His point on the email glitch is valid, although I don't really consider this an issue and I'm sure many others don't either, many of us don't need to keep the data connection open 24/7. Either way, Microsoft has said a fix is coming, so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

Also don't forget there's an anti-Microsoft mentality in the tech community. A lot of people just consider anything Microsoft to be terrible and go into it with pessimistic views.
    Mossberg has criticized other Palmproducts in the past but never ever a Treo . Is there a fixfor the WM menu issue that he talks about?
    As with anything it is in the eye of the beholder whether you prefer Palm or Windows. Both have good and bad points. I am often tempted to moan about Windows because I am a Mac/UNIX head but I have to keep telling myself that I am not really complaining about the software (I happily use XP for some tasks & it hasn't crashed on me for months) but rather feel uneasy about the virtual monopoly Windows has. Lack of fair competition is what scares me.
    I tend to prefer the simplicity of Palm but that's just me. My Notes administrator colleague sitting next to happens to prefer WM.
    Let's just hope that Palm continue to offer both POS and WM Treos side by side. I must say I doubt this will always be the case. I'm a techie and can make educated choices. The man/woman on the street does not have a clue and is blinded by MS's glitzy advertisement and the mentalitity that if everyone has got Windows then it must be good. My fear is that market forces will drive Palm to abandon POS. I LOVE my Treo 650 so I'll hang on to it for as long as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    thats funny considering this device was created to get corp users who wouldnt buy previous treo because they didnt have windows on it. even when palm treos were/are the best of breed.

everything these days seem to have there fan boys who wont ry something new to save there lives.

as far as palm treos crashing everyday. mine doesnt.

what these reviewers (pouge, walt, and even andrew at treonauts) are saying is that if you are coming from palm, the w has a learning curve. and they are pointing out some thing that dont work the way you expect.

sure there are 3rd party apps that correct these things, but out of box they are issues.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i'm just looking for reasons to be happy about my 650 purchase only 4 months ago
    i knew the 700 was on the way, but i couldn't wait....*sigh*...no way i'm purchasing the 700 until it has been out for a while and people on here list common complaints

besides, that's how i decided on the 650 over competitors anyway...
    Why does love of a Treo have to be so hard? I've been using Palms since the Pilot Professional and have gone through the Kyo 7135 and Treo 600 and now have the Treo 650, all on VZW. I'm one of the lucky ones who has a stable 650 loaded with a number of apps. While I was an early adopter of the 7135 (took a Sprint version and modified it to work on VZW), 600 and 650, I can't decide whether to go for the 700w. I'm not morally opposed to Windows, but am use to the POS. The main thing that may make me take the plunge (other than my pathological need to get the newest device) is EV-DO. I love the 650 and it is great for e-mail, but I've pretty much given up Web surfing because it is sooooo slow. I'm not thrilled with the downgrade of the screen or with the need to get Windows versions of my favorite apps, but that high speed Internet does sound sweet. I read somewhere that there will be a POS 700, but that VZW will not be the first to get it. Maybe I should wait for that? I will be reading the reviews of the 700w and the postings here with great interest. What to do?

Just some random musings on a Thursday morning.
    well my internet on my verizon 650 is ok...i mean, i go to the same pages over and over again, so they load kinda fast...besides, i don't use the internet that much on my phone, so the wi-fi isn't THAT big of a deal for me....i'm gonna wait before i even consider upgrading....these things are so expensive!
  20. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    ...I love the 650 and it is great for e-mail, but I've pretty much given up Web surfing because it is sooooo slow. I'm not thrilled with the downgrade of the screen or with the need to get Windows versions of my favorite apps, but that high speed Internet does sound sweet. I read somewhere that there will be a POS 700, but that VZW will not be the first to get it. Maybe I should wait for that? I will be reading the reviews of the 700w and the postings here with great interest. What to do?
    I've read that a faster browser would make the internet experience a whole lot better, althought I have not tried it myself. I also have a stable 650, so I think I'll wait for the 700p.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast