View Poll Results: Is the Treo 700W a significant step forward or is the Treo line simply crawling along

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Treo 700w is an excellent new piece of technology.

44 46.32%
  • No, the Treo 700w has unimpressive, lagging specs.

51 53.68%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the official specs out for the 700W, I'd like to solicit people's opinion of the device.

Is the device a step forward or is the Treo line crawling along?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I'd say it is a step sideways

Not intended as a replacement for the Palm OS based devices.
  3.    #3  
    Perhaps it's not a replacement for the 700p, should one come out, but surely it is intended to replace the 650. Hence the number increase.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    It is not intended to replace the 650. Verizon will continue to sell the 650 until its replacement becomes available.
    It has slowed to a crawl with the memory. What a JOKE!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It has slowed to a crawl with the memory. What a JOKE!!!
    That is pure conjecture on the part of Lady Treo. I have not read any reports or views from people who have used to the device to back up that claim.

I will have my device on Friday (I hope) and will be able to report how the the device operates with the memory it has from a Windows Mobile users point of view.
    I meant in response to the original poster asking if the Treo line is crawling along. With the low memory in the photos of the 700w shown on here, I would say YES. Didn't the low memory problems of the 650 teach Palm anything?

But since you did mention speed, my one device(NOT a 700w) is a little slow and it has the same memory and almost same processor speed. Good luck with the 700w!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I meant in response to the original poster asking if the Treo line is crawling along.

Oh

But since you did mention speed, my one device(NOT a 700w) is a little slow and it has the same memory and almost same processor speed. Good luck with the 700w!!
    I have two phone editions to compare it against. One is the Samsung SCH-i730 and it has 516MHz (i think...500 something) and 128/64 but its still running WM 2003. I also have the Sprint 6700 that has 416MHz and 128/64 with WM5.

Also have an HP5550 but its not phone edition.
    I meant in response to the original poster asking if the Treo line is crawling along. With the low memory in the photos of the 700w shown on here, I would say YES. Didn't the low memory problems of the 650 teach Palm anything?

Lady Treo you seem to have some sort of vendetta against the 700w. Every single post I've seen you respond to has been a negative bash on it, yet you haven't used the device. I have one, and it is not slow. It's very responsive, and I'm someone who's very picky about something like that.
    Yes, because I view it as mediocre device. Sorry, but that's the way I feel. When you look at the 650 and the 700w(which should be sort of an upgrade), there is NOT a whole lot of difference but the OS. The memory appears almost as low as the 650, the screen has LESS resolution(although that's OS related), the design is almost the same. Is there something I'm missing that makes the 700w so great? Compared to other WM5 devices, this one is a bit lacking. Palm needs to step it up!

the screen has LESS resolution(although that's OS related),
    There are WM05 VGA devices....the Universal for one....which leads me to believe, though I could be totally wrong, that Palm chose the lower resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    Lady Treo you seem to have some sort of vendetta against the 700w. Every single post I've seen you respond to has been a negative bash on it, yet you haven't used the device. I have one, and it is not slow. It's very responsive, and I'm someone who's very picky about something like that.
    You noticed that too, sounds a lot like a RIMM shareholder or a Palm short.
    I do prefer Palm OS, don't use BB and am now moving to WM5 devices with full features which the 700w is missing. No stock in any of these companies, just a user who is disappointed that Palm not only dissed the Palm OS, but when they do move over to WM, they didn't even get it right!

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    There are WM05 VGA devices....the Universal for one....which leads me to believe, though I could be totally wrong, that Palm chose the lower resolution.

I thought it might have been because the screen is already square and 320x320 won't work on WM, so they had no choice but to go lower and keep the same square screen. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Yes, because I view it as mediocre device. Sorry, but that's the way I feel. When you look at the 650 and the 700w(which should be sort of an upgrade), there is NOT a whole lot of difference but the OS. The memory appears almost as low as the 650, the screen has LESS resolution(although that's OS related), the design is almost the same. Is there something I'm missing that makes the 700w so great? Compared to other WM5 devices, this one is a bit lacking. Palm needs to step it up!
    While not a HUGE upgrade, it is a significant upgrade of a device only a year old:

1. EVDO: this is HUGE, I would already have the 650 if it had EVDO
    2. Different (better/worse is opinion) OS - HUGE considering the broader appeal of the device and the greater amount of included software/robust capability
    3. Different processor with onboard cache
    4. 4x the camera resolution - huge for some (I'm in this category)

The only downgrade is the screen resolution, which I will agree is annoying at best. It's an unfortunate side effect of the OS but is vexing.

And why mess with the Treo design...it's what most people love most about the device. The main appeal is the OS...although it will only appeal to some. The device is only a year old...you really can't expect a huge hardware bump.
    I'm really looking forward to giving this device the 15 day try. The specs are not evolutionary but a nice combination. The Treo has the best form factor of all Smartphones, IMO. The bells and whistles they added to the 700w are very appealing. I don't think I'll need the many add-ons I've registered for my XV6600.

If it doesn't work out, I'll try the 6700. I'm fairly certain that will work for me.
    I should have clarified about the design, I meant it still has that big antenna. And they could have sleeked it up a little more, but that's not really important anyway. The memory really puts me off more than anything. I thought those were pre-production models with the 32MB, but it looks like they're for real. That was a main complaint about the 650 and now it's the same on the 700w??? Palm are you listening?? But I'm supposed to like the 700 with memory like that when there are devices with 64MB/128MB? I can't do it. And if the 700p is the same bad memory, new Treos may be off my list altogether!

I'll give you the EVDO update though.

I have to be honest, I gotta look it up again....but I thought I remember reading that one of the advancements of WM05 was supporting square screens with various resolutions giving manufacturers more freedom to choose their form factors for WM devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have to be honest, I gotta look it up again....but I thought I remember reading that one of the advancements of WM05 was supporting square screens with various resolutions giving manufacturers more freedom to choose their form factors for WM devices.
    In pogues (nyt) he writes that the resolution, according to palm, is MS fault.

Speaking of steps backward, Treonauts should note that the 700W's screen resolution is only 240 by 240 pixels, far coarser than the previous model's. (Palm maintains that this restriction is imposed by Microsoft's software.)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't know where you are getting the 32M memory limit from.

According to Palms website, it has 128M with 60M user accessable.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast