View Poll Results: Is the Treo 700W a significant step forward or is the Treo line simply crawling along

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Treo 700w is an excellent new piece of technology.

44 46.32%
  • No, the Treo 700w has unimpressive, lagging specs.

51 53.68%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson

FUNCTIONALITY folks... speed, memory, stability, developable flexibility and 1 or 2 thumbstrokes to get what you need... that's what I want and it is there that Palm continues to move steadily backward. To deny this is pure blindness. Go get yourself a braille device.
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you implying that the 700W provides this? If so, I gotta wonder what you're smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson

I gotta ask: Does your **** not feel just a little chapped when you take the time, effort and cash go out and buy third party software that should have been included in the $600 unit in the first place? If not, then I have a PayPal address to send you if you're into throwing good money after bad.
    Yeah, some. But less than when I buy a PC and have to spend many hundreds (as opposed to the tens of dollars Palm software costs) to make it do what I need. And if you think the default software on the 700W (or any other WM5 device) is going to provide all you need, without aftermarket software, you may need to to smoke something.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I think Tom is saying Palm has put out crap since the 600.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    My understanding is, the 650 is what the 600 should have been. You can ***** that it should have been MORE than that, but there is no doubt that the 650 was/is a helluva device.
    I agree about the 650 being a great device, but not the 700w. I don't agree with Tom entirely.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Yes I fully agree, but there is no difference between Palm devices and WM devices as far as this is concerned....
    Too true, however it'll change soon.

The wisest thing I ever heard in TreoCentral forums:

Unfortunately, best available doesn't necessarily mean "good".

Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I'm not sure what you're saying...
    <chuckle> no, I have no faith that the 700 will be better, worse in many respects is my guess... it's just me bee-aching about how badly Palm dropped the ball after paying for Handspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think Tom is saying Palm has put out crap since the 600.
    bingo.. thanks
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    My understanding is, the 650 is what the 600 should have been. You can ***** that it should have been MORE than that, but there is no doubt that the 650 was/is a helluva device.

I am inclined to agree with Iceman6. In fact, I had posted my disgust at the 650 in the past and was essentially washed over by a sea of what I consider irrational diehard praise towards Treo devices.

The 300 was glorious. The 600 was sublime. I look at the 650 like I look at Windoze 98. Windoze 98 was a bug upgrade for Windoze 95, but it cost an unreasonable amount of money. And now the 700 is actually a step BACKWARDS with its **** poor resolution.

Always, when a company releases a new device, one expects it to have improved specs, not more of the same crap from 2 or 3 years ago.

Unless Palm acts on innovation, the 700p will be a downgraded version of the 650 but with EVDO (whoop de frigen do).

I've said this before and I'm saying it again, SAVE US APPLE!! (www.iphone.org).
    I don't think the 700w was meant to be a "leap forward" from the 650..hence why it only has a "50" increase. I really think the intent was to create a windows mobile platform that could grab marketshare from Blackberry, Goodlink and others in the Corporate Market. For most blackberry users, which is the largest platform among corporate users, the device is nothing more than "pocket outlook"..meaning they just need the outlook basics and not looking to do what we "power users" do with the Treo 650. So all the 700w had to do was surpass the blackberry experience (which isn't hard to do), inherently reduce costs (which it does because you don't need the BES middleware), and give the users a few "cool" things they never had before...which they didn't have much of any on the Blackberry. So the 700w captures the whole corporate market space and for those Treo and other palm users who are not power users (video capability, etc.), they give them a device that either seems comparable or slightly better and if they too happen to be working in a corporate environment they can easily get their IT to provide them with email. And remember most companies use Exchange/Outlook...so look at the savings corporations will have.

I work for a very large (65,000) person company and I am one of the technology influencers here. Everyone knows me as the Treo guy and wants me to do "consultations" on using it. 95% of the users here will love the 700w..because it gives them the basics and the extras they get still woo them because their expectations aren't high.

So I think we should not look at the 700w as if it was supposed to kill the 650, I think we should look at it as if it was to take out the Blackberry, arguably the largest competition, and attract new non-power users. Imagine both sets of users (corporate/blackberry) and non-power users now being able to watch movies and have access to their email all in one device...to them that's huge. And although I agree with the 240x240 complaints...for most blackberry users, it's a step up. Most people who belong to groups like Treocentral are quite savy and I don't think the developers had any intention of trying to grab us away from the 650...they just want to have a palm device that gives the appearance of competing with it and provides the email/outlook basics.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Tom, I'm right there with you. I've been saying for the past year or so that it's not a matter of which is better: Palm OS or Windows...the fact is that they both suck, just for different reasons. My hope is that Palm has let Hawkins and the true believers of zen work on some great all new OS/smartphone in a cave somewhere. I'm also waiting for one or more companies to come out of nowhere with an all-new platform that's designed from the ground up to be a feature-rich, efficient, highly usable, developer-friendly platform. I'm very curious about what Android is up to (one of the founders is the guy behind the Danger hiptop).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    You're probably correct, Waynew73. But then some 650 users are eating it up like candy because of EVDO, despite the fact that EVDO is the only true significant upgrade. Is it really worth another $400-$500 + $45/month on your bill to switch from the 650? And it's $650 if you don't extend your contract! I guess for those always out of the office, but I'm not so sure it's worth that much money to switch.

The title of this post should be renamed: EVERYTHING SUCKS!!! I thought I was the one with the avatar but the play by play of this thread has degenerated into a Beavis and ****-head skit:

****-head: Hey Beavis, ever notice how the new Treo 700 sucks?

Beavis: I thought it was the Treo 650 that sucks.

****-head: Yeah. huh huh huh That sucks too. Just like that Windoze Mobil.

Beavis: Yeah. I hate windows. They SUCK!! I like to throw bricks through 'em and stuff. hmm hhmmm hmmm Remember when we broke Anderson's window in the shed???

****-head: No dumbass. NOT windows. WinDOZE. Like that stuff that dumbass Bill Gates makes. huh huh huh huh huh

Beavis: Ohhhhh yeah. heh heh he hmmmm. He's that fartknocker geek with the glasses. heh heh hmmm hehhehe He's all stupid and stuff... and hey... you said Bill. heh heh he hmmmm Wanna see my Bill, ****-head?!? heh heh heh heh

****-head: God damn it!! Put that thing away Beavis before I kick your ***.

Beavis: okay. heh heh hmmm heh Hey ****-head, is there any kind of phone that doesn't suck?

****-head: Pretty much not Beavis. They kind of just invented the phone one day and it sucked ever since. huh huh huh

Beavis: Oh yeah. You're like pretty smart ****-head. You should be designing phones and stuff.

****-head: Yes Beavis. Then they'd have big thingies and wouldn't suck and stuff. huh huh huh huh

Beavis: Yeah. That'd be cool!! hehe heheheh ehe ehheh hmmm And I bet they'd have that Wide Thigh stuff too.

****-head: Yeah. You said it brother Beavis. That'd be cool. Then you could put that Wide Thigh in your pocket!! huh uhuhhu hh u

Beavis: Yeah heh heh heh Whoever said you don't need Wide Thigh is just a dumbass. hmhm hhmm

****-head: Yeah. huh huhu hhuhuh

Now pass the cheese and pure some more of that talk in my glass.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I have 0 desire to upgrade from the 650 to the Verizon 700w. I am still indentured to Sprint for another year, though. I'm not too impressed what I've heard about Windows vs PalmOS either. I prefer the higher resolution screen, too. Even so, I would probably upgrade to the 700w just for the internet speed, if it would be guaranteed to work in most cities and also could be used as a modem for my notebook. (I have no idea if it can, seems like it would be likely.) It's not worth the cost of upgrading and leaving Sprint, though.
    Beavis and Butthead sucks.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    CNet's review seems pretty thorough:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6023310.html
    Nice review. Pretty fair. Here is my favorite part:

Like it or not, Windows Mobile also teaches you about memory management. Every time you open a program, it stays open in the background, even if you close its window. Sooner or later, you'll run into the "Program Memory Low" error message, requiring you to shut down programs manually in a special list box.

The 700w's beefed-up memory (60MB free) makes this situation less frequent. Still, the whole ritual should be unnecessary. Doesn't anyone at Microsoft realize how silly it sounds to say, "Just a minute--I have to quit some programs on my phone"?
    Yes, it's ridiculous, and step backwards from the 650 IMHO (as is the 240x240 screen).

I'm perfectly happy with my Treo 650 for the time being, but if I really was super-keen to upgrade I'd wait and see what the 700p has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    I don't think the 700w was meant to be a "leap forward" from the 650..hence why it only has a "50" increase...
    That's why it really should be the Treo 670 (or more accurately, Treo 651).

EV-DO is a great improvement, but that is it. There's nothing preventing an EV-DO version of the 650 (other than the "exclusive" with Verizon to give them a jump on Sprint and their CHEAP $15/month unlimited EV-DO data plan). We all railed against Palm for the Treo 600 160x160 screen, and were jubilant with the 650's 320x320 (BTW - still THE BEST PDA screen available, DELL and other VGA's notwithstanding). So shouldn't we be outraged at 240x240. I think it showed Palm was lazy - if they could tweak so much of the OS for one-handed operation, they could have done the same for the display drivers. My gut tells me the WM5 licensing fees cut against any cutting edge improvements.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Nice review. Pretty fair. Here is my favorite part:

Like it or not, Windows Mobile also teaches you about memory management. Every time you open a program, it stays open in the background, even if you close its window. Sooner or later, you'll run into the "Program Memory Low" error message, requiring you to shut down programs manually in a special list box.

The 700w's beefed-up memory (60MB free) makes this situation less frequent. Still, the whole ritual should be unnecessary. Doesn't anyone at Microsoft realize how silly it sounds to say, "Just a minute--I have to quit some programs on my phone"?
    That 60mb free memory is storage, not operating memory. Every screen shot of the relaeased 700w shows no more than 25mb of available user operating memory. 60mb of "psuedo hard disk space" is no replacement for system memory for programs to run in.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I would have to say I trust the reviewer that had one in his hand more than a screenshot of who knows what. It's 60 MB of usable system memory according to Palm and the reviewer. Since it has 128 MB total, I don't know why anyone would doubt this. No way the OS is using 103 MB of memory and leaving the user with 25 MB.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast