View Poll Results: Is the Treo 700W a significant step forward or is the Treo line simply crawling along

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Treo 700w is an excellent new piece of technology.

44 46.32%
  • No, the Treo 700w has unimpressive, lagging specs.

51 53.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The 700w will be a mega-hit because it's the only pda phone available that has EV-DO, the Treo form factor, and WM5. Corporate America will buy these by the truckload.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    How can we get all of stuff (mainly calendar and address book) from the Palm O/S into the new Treo 700?

Also, does Verizon offer EV-DO?
    This thing could have HALF the spec of the Treo 650 and I'd still want it. After all the hacks, tweaks, crashes, instability and money outlay to get my 650 to the point there it's semi-useful and 'only' crashes part of the time (fatal exceptions) when I'm sending mail or answering a call... Well, sorry, but the 700w is almost preferrable by default, as would any phone with a semblance of the Treo functionality and layout.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunk808
    How can we get all of stuff (mainly calendar and address book) from the Palm O/S into the new Treo 700?
    You sync you old Treo to Outlook. Then when you sync the new device to Outlook it will auto transfer everything over.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunk808
    Also, does Verizon offer EV-DO?
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I see...

-is Outlook included in the 700's software CD or do I have to purchase it as a separate desktop app?
    -what program do you use to synch a Palm device with Outlook?
    Outlook 2003 is apparently included.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/05/2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: 2002 changed to 2003
    hobbs, it can be 240x240 or 480x480 square... But this is a minor code change if microsoft wanted to support palms solution. They didn't.
    Thanks Shadowmite for the clarification!
    As far as the resolution is concerned...MS guidelines are pushing either 240x240 or pixel-doubled 480x480. I'm not sure why they didn't just go with 320x320 seeing as they've supported landscape for a while now, so a 320-pixel-width standard shouldn't have been a compatibility issue. But it is what it is. And because of what it is, I would have preferred that Palm either went with a tiny 320x240 landscape-native screen (same width as Treo 650's screen, but not as high) or a 240x320 screen (making the Treo 700 longer - a la the Benq p50). The latter would have been my preference.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tm80401
    I don't know where you are getting the 32M memory limit from.

According to Palms website, it has 128M with 60M user accessable.

Where are these low RAM photos coming from then?
    What's going on?

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=103226

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/12/treo_700w_specs.html

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...09#post6485809

Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/06/2006 at 01:28 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    While not a HUGE upgrade, it is a significant upgrade of a device only a year old.
    Incorrecto senor; The Treo 600 was a gigantic leap forward for Handspring in the Fall of 2003, only to have it's well deserved market momentum tragically bastardized & vandalized by PalmOne with the later release of the buggy, moronic-menu-ridden, memory-anemic, developer-unfriendly Treo 650 a year later.

The 700 w's and p's are designed to somehow get back on track with a superior "replacement" device.... yahaaa, right... when I see it and I don't see the "awe crap" symptoms show up in this forum, I'll give it a closer look... but don't hold your breath unless you're a record breaking free diver... or you need a new frustrating hobby.
    not that im an expert on these wm devices, but i think that they are talking about 2 different types of memory.

like the ram on your computer and the hard drive space.

32md to run programs, but you can store upto 60mb of programs?

pulling it out of my hat.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    not that im an expert on these wm devices, but i think that they are talking about 2 different types of memory.

like the ram on your computer and the hard drive space.

32md to run programs, but you can store upto 60mb of programs?

pulling it out of my hat.
    Thats perfectly right. And because storage is expandible its less impotant than RAM, and there is precious little RAM in the Treo 700w.

Surur
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    One thing I think we need to keep in mind is that many current Treo owners are mistaken in thinking of the 700W as the next generation phone from Palm.

I think the 700W is merely a market expansion offering with SOME upgrades. It would not be in Palm's interest to offer a large leap. They want NEW customers that are partial to WMXX for whatever reason. When they introduce the next POS phone, I think there will be incremental improvements above the 700W - but not enough to entice a large part of WMXX owners. Offering a large technology leap in the 700W might cause a large segment of POS owners to migrate. That is probably NOT want Palm wants. More likely they want to grow BOTH markets using the same strategy they have always pursued - incremental steps to induce upgrades to the next generation. So complaints about the 700W "not being enough of an upgrade" are music to Palm's ears.

This also keeps a balance between both markets - not allowing WMXX to gain too large a foothold on their revenues. If "W" versions became very dominant, that would give M$ a great deal of influence over the decisions Palm makes going forward.
    These were what is called, "unconfirmed reports". Who knows what was going on in these units they took pictures of. They weren't production versions. People on this site are too reactionary to rumors accepting them as facts. Take it as lesson. Everyone was complaining about the 700w's memory before they even knew what was in it. The fact is that there are 60 MB of usable memory which is nearly three times that of the 650 - which BTW was a joke when compared to the 600. And you don't even have to waste any of that space loading 3rd party apps like Pocket Tunes and WebViewer(plus the overhead of the JAVA VM) to make the MP3 and web browsing experience usable as you do on the 650. So there is a lot more memory. Remember this in the future when distinguishing between fact and rumor.

And BTW, I realize some people don't like the antenna but I wouldn't charactize it as a "major" complaint. Especially if that antenna is required to give you a more reliable EVDO experience.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    One thing I think we need to keep in mind is that many current Treo owners are mistaken in thinking of the 700W as the next generation phone from Palm.

I think the 700W is merely a market expansion offering with SOME upgrades. It would not be in Palm's interest to offer a large leap. They want NEW customers that are partial to WMXX for whatever reason. When they introduce the next POS phone, I think there will be incremental improvements above the 700W - but not enough to entice a large part of WMXX owners. Offering a large technology leap in the 700W might cause a large segment of POS owners to migrate. That is probably NOT want Palm wants. More likely they want to grow BOTH markets using the same strategy they have always pursued - incremental steps to induce upgrades to the next generation. So complaints about the 700W "not being enough of an upgrade" are music to Palm's ears.

This also keeps a balance between both markets - not allowing WMXX to gain too large a foothold on their revenues. If "W" versions became very dominant, that would give M$ a great deal of influence over the decisions Palm makes going forward.
    I agree. The other thing to keep in mind is that the added revenue from new customers in the Window Mobile market is actuallly going to give Palm the cash to make it easier for them to continue developing Palm Treo's in the future.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    These were what is called, "unconfirmed reports". Who knows what was going on in these units they took pictures of. They weren't production versions. People on this site are too reactionary to rumors accepting them as facts. Take it as lesson. Everyone was complaining about the 700w's memory before they even knew what was in it. The fact is that there are 60 MB of usable memory which is nearly three times that of the 650 - which BTW was a joke when compared to the 600. And you don't even have to waste any of that space loading 3rd party apps like Pocket Tunes and WebViewer(plus the overhead of the JAVA VM) to make the MP3 and web browsing experience usable as you do on the 650. So there is a lot more memory. Remember this in the future when distinguishing between fact and rumor.

And BTW, I realize some people don't like the antenna but I wouldn't charactize it as a "major" complaint. Especially if that antenna is required to give you a more reliable EVDO experience.
    Did you even look at 2 of those links? I did. One was a new user from 2 days ago and the other was a user on another forum. Those aren't RUMORS but actual models!

I honestly don't know about the post on Treonauts, but he claims they are screenshots.

There is more storage but it's RAM that powers the programs, right?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/06/2006 at 11:42 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Thats perfectly right. And because storage is expandible its less impotant than RAM, and there is precious little RAM in the Treo 700w.

Surur
    And I don't think that's good or even acceptable, despite what others say!

I just want the universal compatibility and common sense menus of the 600 back again... you can have all the rest of the foofoo glitzy crap... we've regressed from Handspring's beginnings of a magnificent power-user tool to "beavis and butthead meet Steven Hawking"

If the mindless defense of PalmOne/Palm that we've seen here in these forums (from deserving long-standing Palm loyalists) were to be what the majority of the populace really thinks, and if what Palm produces is a true reflection of what the market wants, then American society, it's common sense and values are further down the toilet than I had ever imagined.

FUNCTIONALITY folks... speed, memory, stability, developable flexibility and 1 or 2 thumbstrokes to get what you need... that's what I want and it is there that Palm continues to move steadily backward. To deny this is pure blindness. Go get yourself a braille device.

I gotta ask: Does your **** not feel just a little chapped when you take the time, effort and cash go out and buy third party software that should have been included in the $600 unit in the first place? If not, then I have a PayPal address to send you if you're into throwing good money after bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    I gotta ask: Does your **** not feel just a little chapped when you take the time, effort and cash go out and buy third party software that should have been included in the $600 unit in the first place? If not, then I have a PayPal address to send you if you're into throwing good money after bad.
    Yes I fully agree, but there is no difference between Palm devices and WM devices as far as this is concerned...I had to buy just as much 3rd party software for my Treo 600 as I did for my PPC-6600. For my Treo I bought:

• Zlaunching to organize navigation
    • TealAlias to help trick the limited memory management cababilities of Palm OS
    • Treo Butler
    • Treo Lights
    • Dataviz Office
    • ect....

For my PPC-6600 I bought:
    • ContactBreeze to make calls just as fast as I could on my Treo
    • SPB Pocket Plus so I can actually close a program
    • Resco File Manager so you have the basic features of Win Explorer and Reg Editor
    • ect....

The point is Palm needed just as many add ons to make it work as it should as WM does. This argument is a wash IMHO.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast