Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I currently sync my 650 with my company SBServer 2003 + Exchange via ActiveSync/Versamail. Works pretty well with the occasional glitch. As I understand the 700w will work with Exchange 2003 out of the box. My IT guy (who I only trust a certian extent) claims that the 700 will NOT work with our server until he gets SP2 installed and does other "tweaks and fixes." As SBS is pretty popular, I find it hard to believe that the 700w wouldnt also supprt this out of the box. Can anyone lead me to the truth???? Gracias!!
    I don't know how Versamail interacts with Exchange ActiveSync, but even without SP2 on the Exchange server, you can initiate a wireless sync from a windows mobile device OR set it so that the Exchange server sends an SMS to the device to trigger the sync when new messages arrive. The capability for the organization can be controlled through Exchange System Manager, and for each individual through Active Directory. Whether these are turned on or not by default, I'm not sure, but if Versamail interacts with EAS already, it is probably already turned on for you and you just need to configure it on your desktop (or device), sync once while connected to the computer, then voila.

With SP2 and the Messaging and Security Feature Pack, Windows Mobile 5.0 will permit "direct push" which is apparently a more efficient means of getting messages to the device. I don't understand the MSFP (I've got a question pending in another thread). But in any event, your admin is sort of right in that SP2 is needed for certain functionality, but you can get the basics without it.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Thanks. I just need as you said, "the basics." I'm not that hot to have "push" email, I just sync every 15 minutes anyway and that works for me. So If I understand you, I'm set up to access the server with the 650 now, so there's no reason I shouldnt be able to do the same thing with the 700w?
    If you are set up to access the server directly rather than through a desktop redirector, I would think it should work, but again, I know nothing about versamail. From other threads here the messaging and security feature pack isn't out yet anyway, so SP2 for Exchange is presently a moot point (as it relates to mobile devices).
    <moved>