Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I still see a lot of conjecture regarding memory capacity on the 700w. Does anyone know this for sure yet? Having used a WM5 device (KJAM) I am more worried about that than the screen resolution. If the memory is not at least 64MB RAM/128MB ROM then the nice multitasking features of WM5 won't be very useful and you will be needing to completely close apps instead of switching. And also with the KJAM, running several apps at once could make a noticeable difference in performance. Might be a good reason to take another look at the XV6700.

Frank
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Im starting to get worried... latest pictures off a production unit according to VZW E (the guy who originally said 64/128). It looks like 32/64 to me... :O

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...09#post6485809

I can live with 240x240...the slower processor... but only having 13MB's of RAM available... that may be tuff.
    refer to this thread to alleviate your fears...

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=62714
    Gex is correct, the memory sucks!!!

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=103226
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    From the official specs on palm.com (see this forum for the thread):

memory

128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile

What's the problem?
    What you have is 128 MB SD card equivalent with 60 MB free, and 32MB RAM with 14 free. Its the same as having a 80 GB HDD with 30 GB free after installing windows and office etc, and 128 MB ram, with 32MB free after booting. And windows mobile has no swap file.

Surur
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    From the official specs on palm.com (see this forum for the thread):

memory

128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile

What's the problem?
    The problem is not with the storage ROM (which appears to be 128MB). The problem is that brain-damaged Palm only put 32MB of program RAM into the device. The RAM is used to run programs. After a reboot, the OS is loaded into RAM (as is the PIM data) which leaves only a paultry amount to run any other programs. I can imagine this will severely limit multitasking which is one of the main reasons to have a WM5 device.

Why would Palm do this with the price of RAM so low and how could MS let them get away with it since this can turn out to be a black-eye for WM5? I really just don't understand the rationale for this stupidity.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    The problem is not with the storage ROM (which appears to be 128MB). The problem is that brain-damaged Palm only put 32MB of program RAM into the device. The RAM is used to run programs. After a reboot, the OS is loaded into RAM (as is the PIM data) which leaves only a paultry amount to run any other programs. I can imagine this will severely limit multitasking which is one of the main reasons to have a WM5 device.

Why would Palm do this with the price of RAM so low and how could MS let them get away with it since this can turn out to be a black-eye for WM5? I really just don't understand the rationale for this stupidity.
    I understand this, but didn't you read the thread I posted above? The MSN blogger said he actually preferred a 128/32 device to a 64/64 device and says 32 MB RAM is reasonable. I can understand how you would want 64 RAM for more multitasking, but that also drains more power. Because this is more of a phone first device I think MS chose battery life over performance here. The early indications from people who actually have this device is that it's fast and responsive.

What I want to know is why they loaded 68 MB of software on there. Damn WM5 is big. But you can run programs seamlessly off of the SD card, and perhaps a hack exists to allocate SD space as virtual RAM. And there's always the possibility of a PPC Tech upgrade. I guess you can never please all of the people all of the time...unless you're the BeGees
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I understand this, but didn't you read the thread I posted above? The MSN blogger said he actually preferred a 128/32 device to a 64/64 device and says 32 MB RAM is reasonable. I can understand how you would want 64 RAM for more multitasking, but that also drains more power. Because this is more of a phone first device I think MS chose battery life over performance here. The early indications from people who actually have this device is that it's fast and responsive.
    My PPC-6700 (like all the HTC WM 5 devices) has 64MB of RAM of which about 50MB is available to the user and about 35MB after a soft reset. It can slow down when running too many programs (especially if they are memory hogs). But there seems to be something else going on here. A post on ppcthoughts says that the Intel processor the Treo uses (the PXA272 xscale) only comes with 64MB of RAM on board and some speculate that Palm may be loading the entire OS into RAM (hence the reports of the Treo being pretty peppy). Here is the link to that discussion: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...5953858eb796de

What I want to know is why they loaded 68 MB of software on there. Damn WM5 is big. But you can run programs seamlessly off of the SD card, and perhaps a hack exists to allocate SD space as virtual RAM. And there's always the possibility of a PPC Tech upgrade. I guess you can never please all of the people all of the time...unless you're the BeGees
    You think that's bad? On the HTC devices, out of the box after a hard reset only about 44MB of storage ROM (out of 128MB) is available to the user, so Palm is being generous here.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Now this is weird... was roaming around Palms support site for the 700w and found a specs page....under memory they have:

Memory 64MB dedicated user memory
    Flash memory means the information on your smartphone is safe even if the power runs down. So you don't need to worry when you're on the move and unable to recharge or sync.
    That would be cool but under screen section they state it also has 320x320

Screen 320x320 display
    Supports thousands of colors
    Touch-sensitive
    See the support spec page here:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=39638
    Hmm. I wonder what happened to those screen resolution plans?
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    My PPC-6700 (like all the HTC WM 5 devices) has 64MB of RAM of which about 50MB is available to the user and about 35MB after a soft reset. It can slow down when running too many programs (especially if they are memory hogs). But there seems to be something else going on here. A post on ppcthoughts says that the Intel processor the Treo uses (the PXA272 xscale) only comes with 64MB of RAM on board and some speculate that Palm may be loading the entire OS into RAM (hence the reports of the Treo being pretty peppy). Here is the link to that discussion: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...5953858eb796de

You think that's bad? On the HTC devices, out of the box after a hard reset only about 44MB of storage ROM (out of 128MB) is available to the user, so Palm is being generous here.
    Why on a reset does the available RAM and ROM go down? Does that happen on all WM5 devices or just HTC?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why on a reset does the available RAM and ROM go down? Does that happen on all WM5 devices or just HTC?
    ROM stays the same, but the RAM goes down because of what is required to load into RAM (the total available RAM stays the same, but the in-use RAM goes up). It's a WM5 thing.
    Jeff
    Is there any way to reclaim the lost RAM? I'm really surprised a reset would cause the RAM to go down.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    After a hard reset this is what I have:

Storage
    Total: 62.95
    In use: 2.14
    Free: 60.81

Program
    Total: 25.45
    In use: 9.76
    Free: 15.69
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    After turning on the phone connection and bluetooth (including pairing to my Plantronics 510) I am at:

Program
    In use: 10.16
    Free: 15.29
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    After placing a call to VM and 611:

Program
    In use: 10.81
    Free: 14.64

Storage is starting to go down after phone useage a tiny bit as expected.
    Thanks for the info gex, I see this is an issue about memory.

I am thinking because the 700w updates the call log, it consumes the memory but based on the two activities that gex reported, the activity consumes around half a meg to is consume for every two phone calls. Does that look right?

Does it ever regain the used memory back other than resetting, i.e. if you deleted those two entries in your call log? Or the two activities loaded or activated a program that does not deactivate after usage?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    No.. sorry for the confusion. Storage is decreased with updates to the call log. It does not consume memory.

If you were to not use the device for anything but calling and receiving calls I would think it would stay at the 14.64 free.

(I believe the additional memory being used is for the phone specific programs that have to run to allow you to dial etc..)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast