1.    #1  
    Does anybody know if the 700w will have native PDF support to view PDF files with out having to email it to some 3rd party rendering company?? And I am not just talking about converting text... I mean pictures, charts and everything... "native" support...
    //p
    _____
    "...this is the business we have chosen." - Godfather
    I don't know about built in to the OS, but a few of the WM devices that I have owned in the past have come with a program called ClearViewPDF which allows one to open all pdf's without having to convert to text or send to a 3rd party. If it doesn't come with the Treo,it is available for purchase at http://www.westtek.com/pocketpc/pdf/
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    adobe has acrobat reader for the ppc. freeware
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I use adobe for ppc as well for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    I use adobe for ppc as well for free.
    Just wondering, does it really work, or is it a piece of crap like the Palm OS version?

Does it:
    1) open native PDFs?
    2) respond quickly enough to be usable? (not 30 seconds to change the zoom level or change pages)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    It renders very well, but can be very slow for pages with lots for vector graphics.

Surur
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Adobe Acrobat Reader is slow on a PC; where will you find a mobile reader that is instant and renders everything in the file perfectly? You're asking for a lot in native PDF files. That being said, the PPC version of Acrobat seems to be much faster than anything I've seen on the Palm side. It works well, and it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by BNelson
    Adobe Acrobat Reader is slow on a PC; where will you find a mobile reader that is instant and renders everything in the file perfectly? You're asking for a lot in native PDF files. That being said, the PPC version of Acrobat seems to be much faster than anything I've seen on the Palm side. It works well, and it's free.
    I'll second this - and also note that the PPC version will open image PDF's (like scanned documents) which the Palm version will not.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by BNelson
    Good enough for me. I don't expect instant rendering, but I don't like having to wait 30 seconds to turn a page as in DTG
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Good enough for me. I don't expect instant rendering, but I don't like having to wait 30 seconds to turn a page as in DTG
    Which is why I've found Repligo invaluable and for more reasons than just this. It allows on the fly repagination and view to fit so you can easily read documents without scrolling horizontally as in DTG or others. It's really one fantastic app that is indispensible.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Which is why I've found Repligo invaluable and for more reasons than just this. It allows on the fly repagination and view to fit so you can easily read documents without scrolling horizontally as in DTG or others. It's really one fantastic app that is indispensible.
    Doesn't repligo require you to convert the files on a PC first?

Clearvue PDF Reader reads native format PDFs right from your email attachments with no conversion required. It is faster running and much less of a memory hog than Adobe's version or the one Samsung provides with the i730. It's $9 price tag is pretty reasonable too.
  12.    #12  
    Yes. Repeligo requires you to email it off to their service first.... Palm just announced a native PDF viewer from Picsel PDF.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/jan/1261711.htm
    //p
    _____
    "...this is the business we have chosen." - Godfather
    I just tried PalmPDF v1 a few days ago - that's good enough for my needs.
    It comes with Picsel PDF viewer on the CD rom.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...700w/specs.epl

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...and Picsel PDF view works very well... better than Adobe's reader for WM...i have not tried clearview's version..
    Picsel's is pretty good to - a much more intuitive zoom feature, but it requires considerably more memory to run than Clearvue.
    Picsel works much better than PalmPDF, that's for sure.