1.    #1  
    I have had either a Treo 600 or 650 for the last 2+ years, and I really enjoyed using them.

My question to everyone is, are any of you Treo loyalists thinking of migrating over to this phone when VZW release's it?

It just seems that there are more pros to the 6700 than there are to the 700w. I would just like to get everyone else's opinions.
    I'm not a Treo loyalist but I appreciated my Treo experience and will be happy to try again.

I'm mixed about the two devices since as you noted, there are features on the 6700 not found on the 700w. A better screen and WiFi would be nice. However, I'm going with the 700w because I miss how well Treos behave as phones. How well 5-way navigation is implemented with the built-in software will determine how long I stick with the 700w. If I'm disappointed, I'll try the 6700 or the Samsung i830.

(It is about time VZW offered some options!)
  3. nix
    I just took a trip to the Sprint store with every intention of buying the 6700. Currently using my Treo 600 which is on it's last legs after 20 or so months of service. I didn't end up getting the 6700 because of 2 things: 1. when I tried it out the sliding keyboard hinge/track seemed really flimsy 2. The store was very bright and the screen did not impress me at all (I compared with my T600 side by side and the Treo had better visibility)
    I still might end up with the 6700 because I need wifi and I am sick of hauling my ipaq 4700 AND my Treo everywhere. Either way, those were my impressions.
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong
    I have had either a Treo 600 or 650 for the last 2+ years, and I really enjoyed using them.

My question to everyone is, are any of you Treo loyalists thinking of migrating over to this phone when VZW release's it?

It just seems that there are more pros to the 6700 than there are to the 700w. I would just like to get everyone else's opinions.

What are the pros to the 6700 over the 700w, in your opinion? Just curious...(and are you looking solely at the spec sheet, and not factoring in usability of either device?)

Just wondering - thanks.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    What are the pros to the 6700 over the 700w, in your opinion? Just curious...(and are you looking solely at the spec sheet, and not factoring in usability of either device?)

Just wondering - thanks.
    6700 Pro's (IMHO)
    Screen Resolution
    WiFi
    Battery life
    Price
    Keyboard Size
    Are you sure the VZ version of the 6700 will have Wi-Fi?

And before you think it'll have better battery life, check with someone who's used the Samsung i730 - its battery life is horrible, from what I've been told - due mostly to the combo Wi-Fi radio and chipset.

Do you know what the price will be?

And finally, have you used the keyboard on that device, in a real life scenario? Meaning - driving down the road, or walking through an airport, needing to look up a contact in a noisy situation and dial, all with one hand?

I just think that folks look at brochures and spec sheets, and forget about real world usability.
    6700 will be $100 cheap when it is launched. Other than the price and wifi(which I don't need nor want), 6700 offers no other advantages for me. The cons are:

- Size. It is bigger and you will feel it more over time.
    - Lack of true one-handed operation.
    - Sliding keyboard.
    - The joystick control.
    - Fugly, IMHO of course
    - Software intergration

The above comments are based on my 30 minutes of playing with the Sprint 6700.
  8.    #8  
    Are you sure the VZ version of the 6700 will have Wi-Fi?

And before you think it'll have better battery life, check with someone who's used the Samsung i730 - its battery life is horrible, from what I've been told - due mostly to the combo Wi-Fi radio and chipset.

Do you know what the price will be?

And finally, have you used the keyboard on that device, in a real life scenario? Meaning - driving down the road, or walking through an airport, needing to look up a contact in a noisy situation and dial, all with one hand?

I just think that folks look at brochures and spec sheets, and forget about real world usability.
    Very good points.

Yes the Verizon 6700 will have WiFi. The price is $619 for the 700w and $519 for the 6700.

For battery life I can only comment based on the spec sheet.

I have messed around with the keyboard on the 6700 at a sprint store. I really liked the idea behind it, but as I read more and more, I am kinda worried about the dialing aspect.

Just so many decisions. Its really weird to have choices from VZW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    6700 will be $100 cheap when it is launched. Other than the price and wifi(which I don't need nor want), 6700 offers no other advantages for me. The cons are:

- Size. It is bigger and you will feel it more over time.
    - Lack of true one-handed operation.
    - Sliding keyboard.
    - The joystick control.
    - Fugly, IMHO of course
    - Software intergration

The above comments are based on my 30 minutes of playing with the Sprint 6700.
    I played with it to. I kind of agree except I didnt think the size is all that much different (although it is so squared). I also think it is kind of 'sterile' looking compared to the treo.

But I love the wifi and evdo!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I just think the downside of Wi-Fi (mostly, awful battery life, which is a KILLER in a cell phone - as opposed to a PDA; and remember, this is a cell phone, not just a PDA) vastly outweighs the possible upside. And also, with EvDO, would ya really need Wi-Fi all that often? I know folks who have the i730 who tell me they've never used Wi-Fi on it due to having EvDO - they tell me they just don't need Wi-Fi. Also, at least with the i730, once you start the Wi-Fi up, that basically shuts down the phone part.

I just think that people are looking at the i730 and 6700 (both with Wi-Fi) in the same way they look at a Wi-Fi enabled PDA, and forgetting about the phone side of things - the phone items are critical, such as - battery life, ease of dialing, usability of the keyboard, one handed size and feel in the hand, etc.

I think of the i730 and 6700 as Wi-Fi capable PDAs (kind of like the T|X from Palm) but with a phone bolted on. Kind of an afterthought.
    And also, with EvDO, would ya really need Wi-Fi all that often? I know folks who have the i730 who tell me they've never used Wi-Fi on it due to having EvDO - they tell me they just don't need Wi-Fi.
    This is true - when you're in an EVDO region. Even though Verizon claims 171 EVDO markets now (which is far ahead of Sprint), it still leaves a lot of areas without EVDO. Areas I travel to. It's nice to have options.
    Also, at least with the i730, once you start the Wi-Fi up, that basically shuts down the phone part.
    Out of the box - but it's a simple fix to get around this.

I think of the i730 and 6700 as Wi-Fi capable PDAs (kind of like the T|X from Palm) but with a phone bolted on. Kind of an afterthought.
    You'd be wrong, then - at least about the i730. I pull the stylus out of the holder for 1 of 3 reasons: 1. To play solitaire; 2. To play freecell; 3. For one of those rare (perhaps monthly) soft resets. The rest of the time I control the phone one handed with the 5-way and the keyboard. Samsung's phone-integrating software (Launcher and the Context Menu Button) take care of all my phone, PIM, and email functions and the occasional surfing I do.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    had the 6700 (Sprint) for about a month but it went back. Decided to keep the i730 since the sliding keyboard could be used with one hand. Also dialing on the 6700 was a pain. Sure the touch screen works but not nearly as well as hardware buttons...and its very tuff to use a touch screen without having to look at the device.

Of course this is from a phone first type of perspective. As a PDA the 6700 has its benefits...such as WM5, larger keyboard, better battery life.
  13.    #13  
    I honestly can't make up my mind. I really might buy both (one for me, and one for my wife) and test them both out and return the one I don't want.