Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1.    #1  
  2. #2  
    Yes! And why oh why is there no driver to download for the 650 so we could use that card too?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #3  
    Cool! Since the driver was already available for other WM5 devices I didnt think it would be a big deal to make it compatible with the 700w... if they even had to do anything at all to it (which i dont think they did).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo at 12/29/2005 10:01 PM

    Yes! And why oh why is there no driver to download for the 650 so we could use that card too?
    I will throw a guess, the 650 OS does not have the necessary drivers to support it?
  5. #5  
    Is it a PPC card only? EDITED: Yes, it says so on the website. Too bad.

    On another note, I thought Shadowmite(or maybe it was someone else) once said wi-fi drivers were hidden in the 650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Wifi on the 650 isnt going to happen :-(
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is it a PPC card only? EDITED: Yes, it says so on the website. Too bad.

    On another note, I thought Shadowmite(or maybe it was someone else) once said wi-fi drivers were hidden in the 650.
    That was shadowmite, but it was a misunderstanding.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ifi#post574655
  8. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I will throw a guess, the 650 OS does not have the necessary drivers to support it?
    It is because Palm, may they burn in effigy, will not release it so that you will need to buy the 700w if you want WiFi. The next model will have WiFi built in, so you can upgrade your 700w prematurely.

    For $90 with no storage capability for MP3s or backup whatsoever, it makes getting a 700w even more of a thrill.... not.
  9. #9  
    Exactly! Why buy the 700w and use a card, when there are 6 or so built-in wi-fi WM5 devices?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    The card worked right away, after the WM5 drivers were installed. I will prowl the small Chinese booths during CES for a compact Wi-Fi card with built in memory, like the one San Disk once produced.
  11. #11  
    That would definitely help for allowing everyones programs.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  12. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #12  
    Seriously, who need WiFi when you have EVDO?

    (just kidding... that is my NSHO)

    I'm glad it dosnt have it built in for one.
  13. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The card worked right away, after the WM5 drivers were installed. I will prowl the small Chinese booths during CES for a compact Wi-Fi card with built in memory, like the one San Disk once produced.
    Unfortunately I didn't see any with more than 128MB of RAM, which is extremely meager and insufficient to store MP3s, just enough for backup and to hold a few extra apps and maps/books/dictionaries. Then there is the driver issue -- chances are Palm's 700w will only support cards that have drivers released!!!! Sound familiar?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex at 12/30/2005 02:17 PM

    Seriously, who need WiFi when you have EVDO?

    (just kidding... that is my NSHO)

    I'm glad it dosnt have it built in for one.
    Why don't you want the 650 to have one?
  15. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Why don't you want the 650 to have one?
    Sorry, i was referring to the 700w not having WiFi not the 650.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Unfortunately I didn't see any with more than 128MB of RAM, which is extremely meager and insufficient to store MP3s, just enough for backup and to hold a few extra apps and maps/books/dictionaries. Then there is the driver issue -- chances are Palm's 700w will only support cards that have drivers released!!!! Sound familiar?
    I dont see why that should be. The socket drivers seem the same one anyone else would download, and the engadget people also demonstrated a SD WIFI card working months ago. This is going to be the killer advantage of a WM device- being able to use any peripheral all the other Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc users can. No waiting for Palm to do the drivers, or re-write them after a small change in the OS.

    Surur
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Exactly! Why buy the 700w and use a card, when there are 6 or so built-in wi-fi WM5 devices?
    Simple.

    1. It is about trade off and priorities. None of the "6 or so" are Treos

    2. Some of us have unlimited EVDO and don't need to use up our batteries with Wi-Fi.

    3. No telling what funky thing VZW will do with its Wi-Fi implementation given what they did with the i730.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Seriously, who need WiFi when you have EVDO?

    (just kidding... that is my NSHO)

    I'm glad it dosnt have it built in for one.
    I have to agree with this. I get to play with the verizon pdas all the time. When using the sam i730 that has wi-fi i never use it. The ev-do is plenty fast and i dont have to go hunting for a panera bread or hotel to use it. if im driving and want directions i just pull up ol' map quest (while trying to steer with my legs of course). Wi-fi is still pay-per use in a lot of places too. If you ask me driving around to get out of my car and go inside a coffee shop/hotel lobby to get some info just isnt appealing to me. just my .02
  19. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    I have to agree with this. I get to play with the verizon pdas all the time. When using the sam i730 that has wi-fi i never use it. The ev-do is plenty fast and i dont have to go hunting for a panera bread or hotel to use it. if im driving and want directions i just pull up ol' map quest (while trying to steer with my legs of course). Wi-fi is still pay-per use in a lot of places too. If you ask me driving around to get out of my car and go inside a coffee shop/hotel lobby to get some info just isnt appealing to me. just my .02
    Again, just because you don't use it doesn't mean numersou others don't. That is the point. WiFi is not pay per use anytime you are near your own corporate network or any other free WiFi enabled area. Many cities have subsidized WiFi hotspots in major city intersections.

    But once again, you are assuming that EVDO does everything that a secure WiFi connection does, which it does NOT.

    How about this one -- WiFi/broadband phones have spread like wildfire.

    How about this one -- EVDO is $50+ per month. WiFi, which will get you access for ANY WiFi enabled device, not just your phone, is less than half of that.
  20. #20  
    Everyone does not use Verizon!!!! What is wrong with you EVDO people???? You think the world revolves around Verizon and EVDO???
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/31/2005 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I calmed down, sorta.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions