Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    Just because there is an option for both wifi and evdo in an area does not make them competing--it means there is an option.
    If there are different means for accessing online data in the same area, and the consumer gets a choice on how to spend money supporting one or the other, there's competition. If your contention is everyone will always choose both, and the accompanying increased cost of that choice, then you might not understand competition. How many ISPs do you use in your home? How many are available in your area? Hmmm.
    I don't understand the need to argue for one or the other: the argument for both (ie wifi and evdo or its equivalent) is the only one that makes any semblance of rational sense from a consumer perspective.
    I don't understand how pointing out the strengths or weaknesses of different data sources in different conditions is considered arguing. It is what it is - pointing out strengths and weaknesses. It's certainly your choice to view it as argumentative. Typically, I don't "argue" for the "let's choose all options" approach because ... well ... that's usually not a rational choice. There are usually competing options for a reason and I make my choices based on a rational decision of what's best/most cost effective for my needs. Sometimes that choice might be both, but it isn''t the right choice for everyone (like Hobbes, for example). For me, having both is a choice, because I travel to Europe upon occasion and rely on wi-fi over there for my online/VOIP needs. Not so when I'm in the USA. I learned this by listening to others point out strengths and weaknesses of different capabilities in different situations. Hobbes was certainly one of those people.
    That's not even opinion. That's fact.
    Now THAT statement is definitely ... opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Just remember though...you lose your sd storage when you put the wifi card in. I agree that having the wifi option is better than nothing but its still a downer ;-)

(and I think the 6600 has more memory than the treo w)
    Agreed. Losing external storage when using wi-fi is suboptimal.

The XV6600 had 128 mb shared between program execution and storage. Hobbes can probably give you a more recent estimate, but as I remember it, I had about 82 MB remaining after boot to share - of which about 60MB was slider-set for storage. That should be comparable to the WM5.0 Treo. However, the 6600 also had some additional ROM space to permanently hold programs - about 18 MB worth, or so, and the Treo won't have that.
    Last edited by Kupe; 01/03/2006 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    The XV6600 had 128 mb shared between program execution and storage. Hobbes can probably give you a more recent estimate, but as I remember it, I had about 82 MB remaining after boot to share - of which about 60MB was slider-set for storage. That should be comparable to the WM5.0 Treo. However, the 6600 also had some additional ROM space to permanently hold programs - about 18 MB worth, or so, and the Treo won't have that.
    It's so long now since I have had my phone to out of the box stats, but it sounds about right.

That extra 18-20 mb of ROM storage is a life saver. All vital apps or docs go there....i.e. Sprite, vital spreadsheets, etc... So even before I started using my main memory I was 15 mb ahead of the game. Plus all apps and docs here are saved even after a hard reset.

Then, as many 700w users will find out, you can put nearly ANY program you want on your SD card with WM, without any utilities or programs to trick the OS that is it in main memory like Zlauncher or TealAlias. So unless it a sytem utility (i.e. start page add on, email client, etc...) it all goes on the SD card.

This leaves me with about 60 mb to split between additional storage in main memory (usually only used for additional docs and spreadsheets) and a bulk of it going for execution memory (which means a lot of easy multitasking with several windows open at the same time). If you browse the net a lot, it creates a lot of cache in main memory. With reg hack you can have all of that saved on your SD card too, again increasing your multitasking capabilities.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/03/2006 at 10:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Socket Go Wi-Fi! E300 for Treo 700w (A505)
    Access Wi-Fi networks from your Treo 700w using Socket's Go Wi-Fi! E300, the smallest and lightest Wi-Fi expansion card available.
    $89.95 In Stock
    Why is this in the Treo 650 forum?
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
  6.    #66  
    <merged> Need I say more?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234