Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This new Treo has some very impressive features that I will be envious of when it finally comes to market. I would love to know why only Palm has been able to do this with WM and others have not. I have a Qtek 9100 and will probably not move to Verizon for the Treo, but I sure would love to have some of the newest features...
    What new features are you speaking of? The only cool thing I remember seeing was the picture contacts on the Today screen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Palm is very popular with their form factor and user experiance. It took a lot of work (about 2 years in the making) but the fruits of their labor will soon be here.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well, from the Today screen, it is apparently possible to start typing a contact's information to bring up a list of their numbers to dial. When in voicemail there is no need to try to remember which keys to use to skip, delete, rewind and so on, since the Treo show icons for each of these and does it for you. Speed dial is available right from the Today screen. Web search box is available right on the...well, you guessed it, the Today screen.

The Today screen has always been my favourite feature of Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) and it is really nice to see Palm make it even better. I can only hope that other manufacturers or a few developers catch on and make these kinds of features for WM devices other than the Treo.

I read alot of this at http://blog.treonauts.com/ so you can check a bit of it out if you want to...

I was sitting in a coffee spot on Clark today and watched some guy pull his Treo and tap a contact pretty quickly and was on the phone within 10 seconds...I have to use Voice Command to pull that off...though there is a Contacts tap on my Today page that makes searching nearly as fast as the Treo. I would definitely like to see that on my Qtek 9100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Well, from the Today screen, it is apparently possible to start typing a contact's information to bring up a list of their numbers to dial. When in voicemail there is no need to try to remember which keys to use to skip, delete, rewind and so on, since the Treo show icons for each of these and does it for you. Speed dial is available right from the Today screen. Web search box is available right on the...well, you guessed it, the Today screen.
    There are currently utilities for free to $5 that will do just about everything you just mentioned (except I haven't seen a web address Today screen utility...but I have never looked for one either). But it would be nice to have all it right out of the box without buying or even downloading free utilities to set it all up yourself.

I was sitting in a coffee spot on Clark today and watched some guy pull his Treo and tap a contact pretty quickly and was on the phone within 10 seconds...I have to use Voice Command to pull that off...though there is a Contacts tap on my Today page that makes searching nearly as fast as the Treo. I would definitely like to see that on my Qtek 9100.
    Try ContactBreeze....the Today screen addon for PocketBreeze. Within the same number of clicks with my Treo I am dialing with my PPC-6600.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/30/2005 at 12:52 AM.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those even though I saw 2 of them in the manual photo. I guess the 700w didn't impress me as much for some reason.
    Maybe I'll pay more attention this time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Most of the stuff (except for the patented voice mail feature) are just simple today screen plug-ins. I expect many advanced users will switch them off so as to have more space to view their appointments. Some features have even been copied already.

The truth is that Palm had a much greater incentive to differentiate via software, since they were doing so little innovative with regard to hardware.

Surur
    Yes, hardware IS the reason the 700w doesn't impress me.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    We dont have the treo form factor (HP 6500 comes close i guess but its still not as nice) on the PPC side so its a killer device for me

And... the 700w looks even cooler than the 650 IMO
    Well, from the Today screen, it is apparently possible to start typing a contact's information to bring up a list of their numbers to dial.
    Hobbes, which utility can do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    Well, from the Today screen, it is apparently possible to start typing a contact's information to bring up a list of their numbers to dial.
    I can assure you, within 6 months, all of them will be able to. Probably the main reason these kind of plug-ins have not been developed before is that the Today screen paradigm was to display information, not action them.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    ContactBreeze....the Today screen addon for PocketBreeze. Within the same number of clicks with my Treo I am dialing with my PPC-6600.
    Back to the original question of Palm modifying WM5. It was Microsoft that had to back down and allow the modifications. I think the Palm Treo was killing the Windows phone market and Microsoft was willing to do just about anything to get back in the game. None of the current Windows phones can top the Treo form factor.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    We dont have the treo form factor (HP 6500 comes close i guess but its still not as nice) on the PPC side so its a killer device for me

And... the 700w looks even cooler than the 650 IMO

Looks like they changed the design very slightly. Big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Back to the original question of Palm modifying WM5. It was Microsoft that had to back down and allow the modifications. I think the Palm Treo was killing the Windows phone market and Microsoft was willing to do just about anything to get back in the game. None of the current Windows phones can top the Treo form factor.
    Zane
    I totally agree with this post -- economics and investment is the real reason the 700w and its successors will be successful, IMO. Expect to see a plethora of free SDKs coming out for this device. Consumers will either win or lose big time.
    Zane
    That's an interesting conspiracy theory considering none of the (known) Palm modifications are anything that hasn't been done already in WM 2003 by multiple software development houses.

The Samsung WM2003SE i730 essentially already incorporates the 2 "new" dedicated HW button functions in WM5. With the keyboard extended, its one-handed operation easily rivals the Treo 650 (except in SMS). I routinely prove that to my fellow managers at work when I get tired of their Treo-worship sessions.

WM has been able to do these things at least since the 2003 version - on both the PPC and SMartphone versions. Palm (and more accurately Handspring) has enough experience to know what add-ons to the OS make for a good PDA phone ... just like Samsung did when they evolved from the i700 to the i730. Many other companies (**cough**HTC**cough**) either haven't thought it through or don't have the in-house programming horsepower.
    Zane
    I disagree.....I have had the (unfortunate?) opportunity to see how MS works behind the scenes. It is not pretty, aggressive, not without calculation, and often more illegal than has ever been brought out in any court room. I see this more as a move to keep enemies closer as a control factor and to move into enemy territory on their own terms rather than a move due to them being scared.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Looks like they changed the design very slightly. Big deal.
    The big deal is the Treo form factor for WM users... nothing on the market comes close.

A lot of my WM user buddies are detesting the square screen though. Not for the resolution but for the "squareness" of it.

I think the ease of use and phone integration may win them over but they are long time WM users so you know how set in their ways people get.
    I agree about the form factor, it's the best!!! BUT the lack of other features is what makes the 700w mediocre compared to other WM5 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    That's an interesting conspiracy theory considering none of the (known) Palm modifications are anything that hasn't been done already in WM 2003 by multiple software development houses.

The Samsung WM2003SE i730 essentially already incorporates the 2 "new" dedicated HW button functions in WM5. With the keyboard extended, its one-handed operation easily rivals the Treo 650 (except in SMS). I routinely prove that to my fellow managers at work when I get tired of their Treo-worship sessions.

WM has been able to do these things at least since the 2003 version - on both the PPC and SMartphone versions. Palm (and more accurately Handspring) has enough experience to know what add-ons to the OS make for a good PDA phone ... just like Samsung did when they evolved from the i700 to the i730. Many other companies (**cough**HTC**cough**) either haven't thought it through or don't have the in-house programming horsepower.
    I'd still take some HTC phones because of the hardware. Memory, built-in wi-fi and wide screen. However if they did do the software modifications, they'd then be almost unbeatable! One of their models was already modified. The O2 Atom(not sold here ) added it's own Today screen. It looked pretty good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast