Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love ch&tter on the 650. and am interested on 700. but is there a tried and true way to get push for exchange imap on it? if not, its a deal breaker. does chatter work on wm5?
    Hello, I am guessing the IMAP push is to push email to the device but what is this "chatter' thing?

THanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    I love ch&tter on the 650. and am interested on 700. but is there a tried and true way to get push for exchange imap on it? if not, its a deal breaker. does chatter work on wm5?
    Chatter is true push email and can be used with imap, pop3 email.

I too am wondering if 700 will offer push email.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Wondering if the 700w 'can do push email' doesn't really address the whole picture. Push email is not a function of the device per se, but a whole ton of other layers and stuff - server software, device client software, internet server software (if carrier based), various upgrades needed if the corporation using the device is running Exchange - just a TON of things, all of which can vary greatly from user to user, and company to company.

So the question 'can the 700w do push email?' is answered by 'it depends'.
  5.    #5  
    ok coach, then how bout this....is there any equivalent software tool that enables push in the same way as chatter does for palm? Not BES, not redirectors, but IMAP push.
    can't you use any IMAP client on the 700? I guess the key is whether or not Chatter or something similar is available for the WM5 platform. I'd bet there are.
  7.    #7  
    that's what I'm hoping. I would imagone there's something, I just haven't heard of anything just yet. I'd hate to have to use wirless sync
    Since the target market of the 700w is corporate Exchange users, you can bet it SHOULD fit seamlessly with M$ Exchange thus I would GUESS it will handle IMAP out of the box. Don't think the early reviewers have touched on this yet but I may have missed it if they have.
    Well the world doesn't evolve around Exchange!

What about us Domino Notes users? My goodness, why don't they offer us something that WORKS with Domino Servers! I'll need to boycott this device since they have done nothing to address the needs of the many corporate customers who don't use Exchange!

(Yeah, that was a bit of sarcasm. I've already told my rep to put in my order. )
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think the Treo will have the Windows Mobile updated software and if your company's Exchange server (or your hosted Exchange provider) has installed the new software on their systems you will/should have true push email on your Treo. If not, you will have to settle for the SMS triggered (wanna-be push) email that I'm using right now (until the update comes for my device. Even this is pretty quick so I'm happy with it...but the Treo should already have the real thing available.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    Since you mention Windows Mobile, I assume you mean the 700W. There is not and are no plans for a WM version of Chatter (according to Marc, at least). There are no IMAP push solutions available for WM, unfortunately. The built-in mail client on the 700W (and all other WM5 devices) does support IMAP, just not the IDLE feature that allows for the nearly instant pushing of messages. Hell, I haven't even seen a desktop mail client with IMAP IDLE support as well executed as Chatter.

There are other push e-mail solutions for WM, of course, but all of them will rely upon some server-side special configuration or additional software (MS Exchange and GoodLink are but two examples). Since you mentioned Exchange, note that depending on the version and config of your Exhange server, you might already have what you need to push mail to a WM device.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I think the Treo will have the Windows Mobile updated software and if your company's Exchange server (or your hosted Exchange provider) has installed the new software on their systems you will/should have true push email on your Treo. If not, you will have to settle for the SMS triggered (wanna-be push) email that I'm using right now (until the update comes for my device. Even this is pretty quick so I'm happy with it...but the Treo should already have the real thing available.

how can i enable the SMS trigger you mention? Is that a tool or inherent in Exchange? My company uses exchange 2003 SP2.

thanks
    Last edited by eldiablo; 01/02/2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: TMI
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I don't understand the messaging and security feature pack. The system manager for Exchange 2003 SP2 can authorize direct push, can enforce password policies, etc. but I don't see anything in the UI for remote wipe of the device. If you look at the video on Microsoft's site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5/default.mspx it looks like the network administrator logs into a browser based interface to remote wipe the device. That seems like something that's installed on the exchange end, in addition to any functionality enabled on the device. Is there something still to be released that needs to be done to the Exchange server beyond SP2?

If so, Microsoft is cutting it close--no direct push for all of us salivating for the 700w until they release it and your network administrator installs it.

If not (SP2 alone is all you need), how does an administrator get to the remote wipe interface? I ask because I am the Exchange administrator (small company).
    info seems thin on this. Treonaut review never answered this question. Does anyone have any idea?
    There's already a thread on this:

clicky
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Its already available from MS's web site.. forget what its called but you have to install it on the exchange server... it will give you a web interface to do remote wipe, etc...

Dont need it to do SP2 push...only remote wipe and a few other management things...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...and i think it sucks that they released it as a browser based management tool instead of integrated into Exchange System Manager.. but im sure they ran out of time and needed to get it out quickly... note that it has nothing to do with functionality of Exchange SP2 push..just management of the devices..
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Its already available from MS's web site.. forget what its called but you have to install it on the exchange server... it will give you a web interface to do remote wipe, etc...

Dont need it to do SP2 push...only remote wipe and a few other management things...
    Thanks. Indeed they do, couldn't find it yesterday but didn't look hard enough. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...003/tools.mspx Called ActiveSync Mobile Web Administration, link is about halfway down on the left.
    It will NOT ship with DirectPush. Sometime mid-year. More info in the review, which will be up tomorrow morning.
    Palm is showing screenshots of a Wireless Sync application with a "push" option on their 700 info page. Does anyone know how this application works, if it requires a desktop redirector, and if it will push in real time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast