Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    It will NOT ship with DirectPush. Sometime mid-year. More info in the review, which will be up tomorrow morning.
    Wait a tic, are you saying the "Push" capability from Exchange 2003 SP2 and WM5 will not work on the Treo 700W?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    That is VZW's Wireless Sync... not MS's solution...

It has its drawbacks but works for the most part... the bad part is that you cant FWD your email to it... it has to check your pop/imap accounts on a schedual. That is for the desktop free solution...it also has support for a redirector but you need to leave your desktop on.

Its the first thing i uninstall on all our WM VZW phones

I recomend you wait for MS's solution and use the SMS trigger option with exchange server until they make MSFP available on the 700w if it truely is not there. Be careful of the sms charges though.
    "Wait for MS's solution"? I'm confused. MSFP is what you install server side....correct? All functionality on the Treo side should be built into WM5....correct?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    "Wait for MS's solution"? I'm confused. MSFP is what you install server side....correct? All functionality on the Treo side should be built into WM5....correct?
    Apparently not yet. It awaits an update by the OEM (Palm and Verizon in this case). Its already out, but only available on one phone currently. I'm really surprised Palm did not wait for this before it released the Treo.

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...19/505653.aspx

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    no.. on the server you need Exchange with SP2.. on the device you need to have the MSFP feature pack installed...Marcus said it is not on the new Treo 700w which is very disappointing if true.

For now you can use Microsoft's previous push solution with SMS until they update the treo to support their newer push solution "Direct Push"... I know confusing huh? Wish they had better names for the stuff than all the acronyms.... how's a normal user to going to know this stuff?
    That MSFP update isn't available on ANY device in the states yet. Many folks think the MSFP update (also called 'AKU2' - adaptation kit update 2) is built into WM5, but like many things Microsoft, it will be a feature pack update, available supposedly in a few months...
    Well crap....and I'm waiting for a Verizon rep to bring a 700w on Tuesday specifically so I can test out this stuff. What the heck is M$'s problem? This crap was announced almost a year ago!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    no kidding brother... im still hopeing its actually there... *
    There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the 700's "push" capability. Some say it will not ship with the messaging update to allow for DirectPush from an exchange server like 4SmartPhone.net. Yet according to this Palm info page:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...activesync.epl

there are screen shots of some Verizon branded app called Wireless Sync that allows for push of anything (email, contacts, tasks, etc.). There is no mention of a desktop app that needs to stay running on the PC just an exchange server address.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject? The 700 with DirectPush was supposed to be MS's/Palm answer to the Blackberry I thought?
    What was wrong with your discussion on this in your other thread?
    Verizon Wireless Sync is the same as Intellisync Wireless E-Mail Express. It has absolutely nothing to do with Activesync or direct integration with Exchange. It requires a desktop redirector but does do push to the device.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I wonder if the client on the 700 will talk directly to the exchange server or will also require a desktop redirector like the WM2003 version. If so, the only semi PUSH solution will be the old SMS trigger.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Verizon Wireless Sync is the same as Intellisync Wireless E-Mail Express. It has absolutely nothing to do with Activesync or direct integration with Exchange. It requires a desktop redirector but does do push to the device.
    There is an option to use it without the desktop redirector. I personally dont like Verizon Wireless Sync but I guess some people will use it.
    Wireless Sync gets a lot of people confused because there are three flavors of it:
    - personal redirector, where your PC has to be on and connected to Exchange/Domino
    - departmental redirector, where ONE computer (not yours, but SOMEone's PC) stays on and connected to the Exchange/Domino server.
    Both these options are free. IT folks usually throw up all over them, since these options are perceived to be non-secure, since a live PC has to be on and connected all the time.
    The final option is a full server, behind the firewall mode, that IT folks feel comfortable with. Costs $$. This option is just like the Blackberry Server that just about all sizable companies have installed.

All of these options push mail and all PIM data out the device. Depending on how it's set up, the push can be an IP push, where the device gets an IP ping to go and grab the message or the meeting or the contact that was added to Exchange. SMS push is also an option.

So - to the original question - Wireless Sync does indeed PUSH out to the device. I use it, and it's pretty much instant. Email hits my Exchange account, and it's on my device. But - also to the original question, Wireless Sync does indeed involve some middleware -either the PC running the service, or the server behind the firewall. And it's THIS layer of middleware that the MSFP update to Windows Mobile 5 is supposed to get rid of. And THAT'S what the IT folks are all hopped up on. THe less servers, the better for them. Streamline baby.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Being an "IT folk" I will say that having to rely on an uncontrolable third party for your messaging solution is not an ideal situation.

Exchange Direct Push (MSFP) does away with that reliance and is one of its benifits over BlackBerry Enterprise Server (and Wireless Sync which works a lot like BB).
    nrosser, nice summary!
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    <merged>
    I've read that in order to have "true" push, you'd need the "Messaging and Security Feature Pack" with Exchange 2003 SP2.

...they say it should be out in Jan-Feb 2006

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...22/454717.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by darkorbz
    I've read that in order to have "true" push, you'd need the "Messaging and Security Feature Pack" with Exchange 2003 SP2.

...they say it should be out in Jan-Feb 2006

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...22/454717.aspx
    According to Marcus, previously in this thread, quoted here:
    It will NOT ship with DirectPush. Sometime mid-year. More info in the review, which will be up tomorrow morning.
    In the meantime while we wait for the push update later this year, this might some of you who have access to OWA and a desktop can be stay connected:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...75&postcount=2

I hope this helps some of you!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12