1.    #1  
    Do you think the ability to run Skype on the 700 trumps all other issues, dethroning the 650 as smartphone of choice?
    No. I think it is a great program with lot's of potential but the treo is (at least for some) so much more than just a phone.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Haven't used skype and I don't see it as a must have app yet. The EV-DO is the must have part of the Treo 700w.
    I totally agree...plus I think you pretty much need the evdo to run the skype.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

True, Skype wouldn't be much fun on WiFi since you need a card too.
    Skype can work over EVDO, and in fact, due to evdo's lower power drain, you could stay logged in permanently, instead of being only available at hotspots, reducing the need for Skype-out and Skype in. If you do a lot of overseas business Skype will be the killer app for the Treo 700w.

Surur
    One issue with the current beta of skype on the 700w is that it plays the sound out through the back speaker. I don't know if the headset speaker is hardwired to the phone module, or if the OS can send sound to it. Have not tried a BT headset yet.
    So does that mean its harder to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by kattanm
    Do you think the ability to run Skype on the 700 trumps all other issues, dethroning the 650 as smartphone of choice?

afaikafaikafaik $it$ $cant$ $do$ $skype$ $properly$ $without$ $latency$
    I am running the high-CPU version of skype with Xcpuscalar set to 520 MHz, and it works great for me over EVDO. Yes, it plays through the speaker on the back, and I can't get it to work with my BT headset, but if I plug in a standard wired headset I have no problems. The audio quality is comparable to a standard cell phone if not clearer. There is a slight, barely perceptible amount of latency that sometimes results in talking over one another.

I have a Spectec 802.11b SDIO card on order, and when I get that I will check to see if there are any improvements vs EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    I am running the high-CPU version of skype with Xcpuscalar set to 520 MHz, and it works great for me over EVDO. Yes, it plays through the speaker on the back, and I can't get it to work with my BT headset, but if I plug in a standard wired headset I have no problems. The audio quality is comparable to a standard cell phone if not clearer. There is a slight, barely perceptible amount of latency that sometimes results in talking over one another.

I have a Spectec 802.11b SDIO card on order, and when I get that I will check to see if there are any improvements vs EVDO.

you are the first guy you has given a clear answer to this on this forum..thanks so much..a few quick clarifications:
    1) What version of skype are you using?
    2) Have you tried calling overseas with it?
    3)Do you not face any memory issues or freezing of handhled with it ? WHich programs did you run while using skype?
    4)Wonder why BT doesnt pick it up..which headset do you use?

would be great to hear your reports with a wifi card also
    1. You'll love this... When I hit the About screen to see the version, all it says is "Version ?" It was a beta I downloaded from Skype on Jan. 12th if that helps. Incidentally I noticed that they released two new betas today for high and low CPU (2.0.0.39 and 2.0.0.41), so I'll have to uninstall and try those out. Hopefully they fixed the BT and speaker issues!

2. I have not tried calling overseas yet, but I will probably test that out soon.

3. With Outlook, ActiveSync and Skype running I'm down to less than 3MB of free program memory, but I don't have serious freezing issues unless I try to do much more than that. Usually if I'm going to run Skype I will shut everything else down first.

4. My BT headset is the Plantronics M2500.
    It doesn't look as if they have addressed the speaker or BT issues, at least according to the list of fixes for this version:

Change Log

26.01.2005 Skype for Pocket PC™ 2.0 beta
    change: Skype for PPC graphics updatede to 2.0 style
    change: Contactlist sorting
    bugfix: Incoming chat and call privacy options
    bugfix: Impossible to cancel login when in 'connecting' mode
    bugfix: Missed call notification not displayed for SkypeIn call
    bugfix: Skype crashes after 2nd calling to PC and PPC user
    bugfix: Chinese languages interchanged
    bugfix: Skype stays in connecting mode
    bugfix: 'Call' and 'Chat' buttons are enabled when user is not logged in
    bugfix: Received ContactList is not authorized
    bugfix: Second authorization request will block accepting first request
    bugfix: Registering a new user, doesn't sign in
    bugfix: Login page shown before EULA

15.12.2005 Skype for Pocket PC™ 1.2 beta

change: Windows Mobile 5.0 supported
    change: devices with 300+ MHz CPU supported. Skype will not operate on devices with ~300MHz CPU while using an external WiFi card
    change: landscape mode support and support for 240x240 and 480x480 screens
    change: new languages (Danish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese Brazil, Russian, Spanish, Swedish)
    change: languages updated
    feature: automatic language selection depending on regional settings of the device
    change: new EULA text
    feature: call forwarding icon added
    bugfix: authorization stayed pending for receiver
    bugfix: incoming calls when rejected were not sent to VM
    bugfix: incoming calls were not sent to Voicemail after timeout
    bugfix: send Voicemail to SkypeOut user was allowed in log tab
    bugfix: impossible to add SkypeIn number from log tab to contact list
    bugfix: impossible to remove missed call notification in start menu
    bugfix: “Cannot execute Skype.exe” notification appeared when Skype installed on external storage
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    1. You'll love this... When I hit the About screen to see the version, all it says is "Version ?" It was a beta I downloaded from Skype on Jan. 12th if that helps. Incidentally I noticed that they released two new betas today for high and low CPU (2.0.0.39 and 2.0.0.41), so I'll have to uninstall and try those out. Hopefully they fixed the BT and speaker issues!

2. I have not tried calling overseas yet, but I will probably test that out soon.

3. With Outlook, ActiveSync and Skype running I'm down to less than 3MB of free program memory, but I don't have serious freezing issues unless I try to do much more than that. Usually if I'm going to run Skype I will shut everything else down first.

4. My BT headset is the Plantronics M2500.
    if you can check out overseas calling and the new versions do let me know...this is a significant reason for my purchase decision depends on it
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions