1.    #1  
    Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on each review so that the topics don't get intermingled too much.

His summary of the Contacts and Calendar were that the are both worse than the 650:
    Overall I found both the Contacts and Calendar applications to be disappointing and was particularly annoyed at the lack of customization options available throughout. Having said this I have no doubt that corporate Treonauts will be pleased with particular aspects of the out-of-the-box integration with Outlook such as the option to set Attendees for a Calendar appointment.
    Link: http://blog.treonauts.com/
    I'm really disappointed they didn't include some kind of SMS from the contacts lookup, that was one nice feature of Palm OS. I text message all the time and this was pretty handy with my 650.
    The PIM apps in both WM and POS are not worth using and the majority use 3rd party PIM apps. What I was looking for was further information about the memory. One thing I find both interesting and odd is that a site with no WM experience is the first and so far only site with a review in detail.
    I guess, you move from one OS to another, you lose functionality, which some can be worked out.

What I don't understand is the statement "... Having said this I have no doubt that corporate Treonauts will be pleased with particular aspects of the out-of-the-box integration with Outlook such as the option to set Attendees for a Calendar appointment. " For example, I could set in my Outlook any time and duration I pick and this is supposed to be integration?
    He is probably talking about inviting attendees and keeping track of meeting organizer (and meeting location) so that meetings can be re-scheduled withot losing track of who initiated what meeting and when.

Very natural in Outlook in corporate environment, but support for all this is very rudimentary in Treo 650's Calendar that comes from PalmOne. The support for this (which is information hidden in the "blob" part of the database record) is even worse in 3rd party PIM's like Datebk5.

I'm guessing that MS has forced Palm to improve on this.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a lot of conference calls so one of the biggest annoyances I have with the 650 calendar is having the location not show up completely in the day view (doesn't look like this is fixed) and having it cut short in the full view. These both look like they aren't there. It should be so natural to just be able to tap on a phone number and have it dial for a conference call on a smart phone, but no dice.
    What do you mean by a third party PIM? Is there like a program that can change this, and make it easy to SMS people, even with WM 2005?
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    The PIM apps in both WM and POS are not worth using and the majority use 3rd party PIM apps. What I was looking for was further information about the memory. One thing I find both interesting and odd is that a site with no WM experience is the first and so far only site with a review in detail.

I use both palmos and WM devices, and I have to say that the default WM PIM suck far worse than the default PIM on the 650 etc...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/28/2005 at 12:37 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    I have a lot of conference calls so one of the biggest annoyances I have with the 650 calendar is having the location not show up completely in the day view (doesn't look like this is fixed) and having it cut short in the full view. These both look like they aren't there. It should be so natural to just be able to tap on a phone number and have it dial for a conference call on a smart phone, but no dice.
    I believe that location is missing in the pictures because the field is blank. That is why it's not there. On my 6700 I can see the full locations of meetings in all views. It is also possible to increase or decrease the font size so that you can see less or more in each view (to do this, you use the Screen applet in Settings).
    Jeff
    I once tried a Toshiba 2032 from Sprint with I guess had the Pocket PC OS. Is this about the same? One thing I do recall is that in contacts, it didn't have the option for private numbers so that they don't show in your contacts unless you unprotect them like on 650.

Oh and the 2032 sucked bad.

Do you or anyone know if you can have those hidden details on the 700?

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on each review so that the topics don't get intermingled too much.

His summary of the Contacts and Calendar were that the are both worse than the 650:
    Link: http://blog.treonauts.com/
    Treonauts has posted an "Update" to their Part 2 review upgrading their rating of the Contacts function from "Worse" to "Equal or Better" than the 650:

http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windo...ile/index.html

It looks like he wasn't completely comfortable with the WM5 interface. As a new PPC owner myself (at least as soon as I pick up the 700w) I can relate. Hopefully he doesn't have the final version of the Quick Ref guide as it seems he might have a preproduction model as well.
    Contacts is the weakest part of Palm OS PIM suites. Even unmodified PPC contacts is better than POS contacts, let alone the modified one. It's very supprising that Treonauts rated PPC contacts is worse than POS contacts.

As to Calendar, the buildin PPC calendar is still much better than buildin POS calendar. But Palm modified Treo calendar and made it much better now.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    I'm really disappointed they didn't include some kind of SMS from the contacts lookup, that was one nice feature of Palm OS. I text message all the time and this was pretty handy with my 650.
    You can SMS from the contact lookup, actually (friend of mine who works for Verizon has a test model) - from the Today screen, once you look up a contact, based on first OR last (but not a smart combo of first initial, + a few letters of the last name, as the review indicated), you then press and hold the Center button. A bunch of options pop up, such as:

Text message (cell phone #)
    Email (email address)
    Email (cell phone)

So ya see - it is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    You can SMS from the contact lookup, actually (friend of mine who works for Verizon has a test model) - from the Today screen, once you look up a contact, based on first OR last (but not a smart combo of first initial, + a few letters of the last name, as the review indicated), you then press and hold the Center button. A bunch of options pop up, such as:

Text message (cell phone #)
    Email (email address)
    Email (cell phone)

So ya see - it is there.
    nrosser, is this a standard WM function or is it a Palm enhanced feature on the 700? thanks.
    dunno. Maybe someone else who has a WM5 device can answer....
    he revisited his opinions on this after some one emailed him on how things are done. it is no longer worse.

so, instead of typing the first letter of the first name and then start typing the last name, on the 700 you type as many letters of the first name you want and then hit space and continue with the last name.

and apparently pressing and holding the ctr button gives u more option in contacts.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    nrosser, is this a standard WM function or is it a Palm enhanced feature on the 700? thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    dunno. Maybe someone else who has a WM5 device can answer....
    It's standard WM5 (and I think it may have been that way with 2003SE, I can't remember definately).

There is also some other short cuts for dialing or quickly displaying a number or e-mail address. For instance, in contacts the name and one telephone number is displayed with a little letter next to it (like w for work). If you move the d-pad to the right you will scroll through the other telephone numbers (and e-mail addresses) for that person. When you get the the number you want to call (say home) you press the green call button twice (once to transfer the number to the dialer and once to call the number). I am not sure that this method is quicker than just pressing and holding the center button and scrolling down to "call home" and pressing enter, but it is another way of doing the same thing and has the advantage of just viewing the number or e-mail you want to check. This is typical of WM5. There are multiple undocumented ways of doing things.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    is this a standard WM function or is it a Palm enhanced feature on the 700? thanks.
    The Today screen display of contacts is a Palm enhancement (but is not unique to Palm, BTW). Tapping and holding or pressing the 5-way and holding on a contact brings up the submenu on and WM5 device.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    It's standard WM5 (and I think it may have been that way with 2003SE, I can't remember definately).
    This is typical of WM5. There are multiple undocumented ways of doing things.
    It works the same way w/2003SE but since you need a stylus or two hands to start the search, the 700w should be more friendly.