1.    #1  
    Hi everyone. I'm looking at getting a treo soon and can't decide b/w the 650 or the 700. I understand that the 700 isn't out yet and specifications really haven't been given, but should I hold out on getting this 650 or should I get it? Is the only thing that is different b/w the two the operating system? I've heard pro's and con's of both. pro's saying that it's better for compatability, con's say they like the palm os better. never having owned a smartphone like this or a pda puts me in the dark about this type of stuff. Thanks for your help, and Happy Holidays

-Michael
    My advice to you would be to take the following actions in this order:

1. Read through as many of these threads as possible to get info. Fairly concrete specs of the 700w have been posted.
    2. Visit howardforums.com and treonauts.com for more info
    3. Wait a couple of weeks (1/5/06) for the 700w to be released, then try out both of the phones to see which you prefer. The OS is a main sticking point, but the 700w has many upgrades that would be worthwhile for someone who does not currently own a Treo (EVDO, 1.3 MP camera, different processor, etc.)

Personally I am in the exact same boat (do not currenlty own a Treo) and am waiting for the 700w. I personally cannot stand to have something that is already "old news" when I can buy something that just came out. Some people like having something that's been out awhile so the bugs are worked out. It's all personal preferences. Good luck
  3.    #3  
    I hear what you are saying and I probably will wait for the release of it, since it is less than two weeks away. and I was also told to wait a couple months before getting the 700W b/c it usually takes that long to work out bugs. But you see, I have this problem were I have to have it now. I hate waiting for stuff. And I, like you, don't want to buy something and already have it bee "outdated" b/c something else came out. But verizon is running a deal for 299 with a 2 year contract and I've seen prices for the 700 at 500 for a 2year contract. You see my delima
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Here are some criteria I'd consider. Some of it applies to any cell phone.

1) Go to stores and play with the demo units. See which OS you feel more comfortable using. (Granted, you won't be able to get an accurate sense yet of the Treo 700w until it arrives; still, from the PPC phones that are out now, you'll get some idea.) Also, check out the review on Treonauts:

http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windo...ile/index.html

The typical thinking out there is that Palm OS is easier to use/understand and WinMob is higher performance. The important thing, though, is which you prefer.

2) What carrier do you have for cell service? What works best in your area? Who has plans/features that appeal to you? Do you want to share voice minutes with someone? Do you know lots of people on one network, or have some people you call frequently on their cell numbers? (If so, mobile to mobile is a big factor.)

If you get the 700w, obviously, Verizon's the only game in town. Look on their website and see if the EVDO (high-speed data) is available in your area too. If not, there won't be a significant speed advantage.

If you opt for the 650, all the major carriers, plus some MVNOs (companies that resell another carrier's system under another name, like Earthlink, which uses Sprint) offer the Treo. Verizon has the 650 as well as the exclusive on the 700w for now; you could also get it from Sprint or Cingular, or get the unlocked GSM one and use it on either Cingular or T-Mobile. And there may be regional carriers, too; the unlocked GSM Treo would work on a regional GSM carrier.

If you're in the middle of a cell phone contract and you're looking to use that same number on the Treo, the cost is likely to be higher. You either get the phone at retail price, or if you switch, you're likely to have a termination fee that would largely offset the rebates from the new carrier. You might be able to arrange a mid-contract upgrade (normally including an extension to the contract); that varies from one carrier to another.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Q.

The more and more I look into the treo, the more I realize about how deep I could possibly getting myself. So many questions arose from just general searching, mostly dealing with plans and data plans and features are available with each plan. On treonaut, they make it pretty easy on buying one with their deals, then picking a plan, and then a data plan option. the only problem is, it ends on the 31st which is 5 days away. I would spring on one now, but only 5 days after that, the 700W is being released(does this mean open to buy only for corporate people, or on Janurary 5th, will I be able to go into my Verizon store and pick one up?) I could wait till may so that the upgrade for a new phone/smartphone is available, plus my birthday is may, but I hate waiting. Anyone else relate to where I'm coming from?

I'm going into Cingular to get some questions answered and to look at the 650 since it is right outside of my work, so we'll see how that goes.

Always, thanks for your help guys/girls.

-Michael
    My Treo 650 has been a constant problem. I cannot WAIT until Cingular gets the 700 in stock - they've agreed to just give it to me (an even swap) once they get it in stock because I've exchanged my 650 a total of 6 times since I first got it in August.

From my own personal experience, which I realize is NOT the norm, I'd advise you to wait till the 700 comes out. In my opinion, the 650 is laden with quirky, unstable software which could potentially cost you several days of your life in troubleshooting and exchanging.

Just my two cents.....

-E
    The only problem I have ever had with the 650 is extremely slow processing time when going through the myriad of pictures on my SD card. The phone and all of the features to me, have been nearly flawless. Now keep in mind that many members in this group attempt to use this phone for far far more than it was intended and usually push the limit of any technology. That's not a bad thing, just puts it in perspective a little. The 650 is a fantastic phone. Now, if you are just getting ready to join the Treo crowd, i would recommend, without hesitation, to wait on this 700. You really can't go wrong. It is going to be superior to the 650.

The other thing is the comment about testing or holding demos etc. You will rarely find a demo of a high end phone like this at the sprint stores. It usually takes them months to get a demo, if they EVER get it. I have yet to see a 650 demo and even more rare to find the phone itself once it is out. Calling them, going online, or elsewhere is always better than attempting to buy the phone from their store. (We) here, are almost entirely always way ahead of the local stores in knowledge of their own product.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by norcalrealtor
    My Treo 650 has been a constant problem. I cannot WAIT until Cingular gets the 700 in stock - they've agreed to just give it to me (an even swap) once they get it in stock because I've exchanged my 650 a total of 6 times since I first got it in August.

From my own personal experience, which I realize is NOT the norm, I'd advise you to wait till the 700 comes out. In my opinion, the 650 is laden with quirky, unstable software which could potentially cost you several days of your life in troubleshooting and exchanging.

Just my two cents.....

-E
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    The only problem I have ever had with the 650 is extremely slow processing time when going through the myriad of pictures on my SD card.
    Eric, this problem may be partially SD card related. If you do have a slow SD card, you will run into this problem. My wife has a slow Kingston card and has the same issue.

There is a free app out there that will test SD card speed. search on www.Audiost.com for this app.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Eric, this problem may be partially SD card related. If you do have a slow SD card, you will run into this problem. My wife has a slow Kingston card and has the same issue.

There is a free app out there that will test SD card speed. search on www.Audiost.com for this app.
    For the most part I doubt it's the SD card but more to do with the size. I've got a Sandisk Ultra 2 and it's still too slow according to Audioost for some recording. That's the fact. It's plenty fast to read movies. Trying to read a whole directory of pictures will take time no matter what.

Regarding the 700w, remember that if you buy now you will be an early adopter. This is the first WM Treo and there are bound to be plenty of problems. As much as I HATE the RAM limitation in the 650 and lack of WiFi, it works pretty well. At the low price you can get it, I might think it's worth it instead of spending $600+ for first generation and a 2 year contract.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    At the low price you can get it, I might think it's worth it instead of spending $600+ for first generation and a 2 year contract.

this is the main reason I decided to go with the 650, I hope
    Hope some of you can help me.

I am considering a Treo. It will be strictly a business productivity tool - no interest in camera, music, etc.

Our database/contact management runs on networked ACT. We have ACT for Palm available.

I am also interested getting email and perhaps being able to do basic net surfing.

Do I get the 650 with Palm or go for the 700. From what I can gather, the 650 doesnt have net capability but I wont be able to interface with ACT if I get the 700???? Am I correct in reading that Palm will follow with a 700P which will run on the Palm operating system? If so, what time frame?

Your insights are much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    The only problem I have ever had with the 650 is extremely slow processing time when going through the myriad of pictures on my SD card.
    I suggest trying out an image-viewing program like AcidImage Pro. AI Pro is significantly faster than the built-in viewer. You also might want to run PalmInternals on your Treo and see if something is slowing down your Treo. Picture viewing will chug if a background app is hogging the CPU.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90357