Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Its official ! Palm has lost their mind.

The offical specs memory wise of the Treo 700 w is :

32MB RAM, 10.8 MB Free after boot!!
    Flash is 64MB, 52MB free.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/12/treo_700w_specs.html

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

Surur
    Windows does not need very much ram to operate with!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    Windows does not need very much ram to operate with!
    What?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Its official ! Palm has lost their mind.

The offical specs memory wise of the Treo 700 w is :

32MB RAM, 10.8 MB Free after boot!!
    Flash is 64MB, 52MB free.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/12/treo_700w_specs.html

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

Surur
    Don't forget how WM 5.0 operates...that is one of the beauties of the new OS.

Persistent Memory Storage, a new ROM-RAM paradigm, changes the way Pocket PCs manage data and system memory. Rather than internal RAM pulling double duty as both a storage medium and system memory, Windows Mobile 5.0 memory management moves Pocket PCs a step closer to PC-like functionality. Like a Desktop PC, the RAM in a WM5 Pocket PC is used only as system memory, while all data is stored in the ROM, which protects it from loss if the Pocket PC's battery is fully drained. A drained battery no longer results in data loss.

The other beauty is the fact he has only had to reset it once in the 2-weeks he has had. If that isn't an improvement I don't know what is!!!
    On the hard reset it was due to the version of SKYPE not playing nice so it is NOT the OS make sure you clarify the statement.

Next I haved asked Andrew @ treonauts what he is running that is using up the RAM, he may have apps running so it may be a biased RAM view.

Lastly I have an email into PPCtechs regarding a 64MB or 128MB RAM upgrade if its possible and if yes I will get it done.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    On the hard reset it was due to the version of SKYPE not playing nice so it is NOT the OS make sure you clarify the statement.
    Yes sir...you're correct. There clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    Next I haved asked Andrew @ treonauts what he is running that is using up the RAM, he may have apps running so it may be a biased RAM view.
    Maybe he is running SKYPE... Keep us posted what he lets you know.
    This couldn't be true... could it? Right now, SD card RAM is so cheap, it actually costs about the same to buy a 64MB card as a 32MB. Why in the world is Palm being so stingy with RAM? Have they been out in the real world in the last year???

Goodness knows its easy to run out of RAM with the 650, and that is using PalmOS programs.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
  8.    #8  
    To compare it to another recent EVDO WM5 device.

PPC 6700
    64MB RAM
    49.42 available to OS
    34.69 available to user after boot

Treo 700w
    32MB RAM
    25.49 available to OS
    10.84 available to user after boot.

Again, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

Surur
    Surur,
    you are absolutely right. i know you pull double sometimes triple duty in PPC forums, and you've seen Jason Dunn trying to make the case for 64MB of user execution memory as being satisfactory. He recently renegged on that statement on PPC thoughts as WM5 is not pulling this off correctly.

What's the point of a multitasking OS if you barely have the memory to run several apps at once? Nevermind all the memory leaks WM experiences with typical usage.

I'm actually worried Is that even enough to run good a good GPS software package?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I'm actually worried Is that even enough to run good a good GPS software package?
    OnCourse Navigator

Memory: 12 MB for installation, 15MB free memory after OnCourse Navigator 5 is launched.
    Note: 20 to 25MB is required if for running bigger maps such as seamless USA, North America, and European maps.
    http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/item.aspx?itemid=6008

Edit:

Tomtom Navigator 5 uses only 6.5MB, even with the whole map of UK and after a route was planned.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/22/2005 at 02:21 PM.
    To compare it to another recent EVDO WM5 device.

PPC 6700
    64MB RAM
    49.42 available to OS
    34.69 available to user after boot

Treo 700w
    32MB RAM
    25.49 available to OS
    10.84 available to user after boot.

Surur
    Dumb question, but where do I find this out about my WM devices? Under System?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    Start>Settings>System>Memory>Main (tab).

But you also have a 32MB device, so your numbers would be similar (though better, as it does not load phone software)

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt
    This couldn't be true... could it? Right now, SD card RAM is so cheap, it actually costs about the same to buy a 64MB card as a 32MB.
    An SD card is *not* RAM. An SD card is flash. According to the article the 700w has 52mb of user-accessible flash.
    You guys saved me $650, thanks, Happy Holiday!
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Start>Settings>System>Memory>Main (tab).

But you also have a 32MB device, so your numbers would be similar (though better, as it does not load phone software)

Surur
    Thanks! Yes, for programs, the numbers aren't great. I'll be using my 1gig card a lot I see. I also just read somewhere the older versions of the 1900 had 64. HP tales a step backwards too. Hopefully they'll fix that on the 1960. But I got it for $263, I can't complain too much. But if I had to pay $500 for 32MB **cough** probably what 700w will be full retail, if not more**cough**, THEN I'd have been NOT HAPPY!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I don't believe it. Every other WM5 device on the market has 128 MB ROM, 64 MB RAM. Treonauts has a pre-production model. I bet the production version of this device will have what we expect.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I don't believe it. Every other WM5 device on the market has 128 MB ROM, 64 MB RAM. Treonauts has a pre-production model. I bet the production version of this device will have what we expect.
    Don't be so quick to make that bet. This is Palm your dealing with; the company that never fails to disappoint. Have you forgotten the lack of increased RAM in the 650 from the 600. I will bet that it has the final memory amounts in that unit.

To fill out the memory issues, here are the PPC-6700 storage ROM (actually NAND) specs vs. the Treo 700w:

PPC-6700:
    128 MB total
    43.50 MB available to OS
    33.8 MB available to user out of the box or after Hard Reset

Treo 700w:
    64 MB total
    62.94 MB available to OS
    57.87 MB available to user out of the box or after Hard Reset

The 700 may have less available RAM, but it sure has a heck of a lot more storage space than the 6700 even with half the total ROM. No one seems to know where all the ROM went in the 6700. Obviously, the OS can't take up 80 MB if the Treo only has 64 MB.
    Jeff
    PPCtechs emailed me back and no definitive answer until they get a unit in for eval. I hope they eval a unit quickly and determine an anwer of yes. If so I will send mine out right away.
    Calm down and listen to the facts first.

The reason the ram is so low after boot is because there were multiple programs running. When programs run, even in the background, they require space to operate.

If you run a ton of programs simultaneously, it'll eat your memory. You get this memory back when you shut down background programs you are no longer running.

Palm users aren't occustomed to this because pOS as is does good to run 1 program at a time without crashing and burning. Palm multitasking is a pseudo-Garnet feature.
    You know what, I did notice that. I had to manually shut down all I wasn't actively using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast