Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Currently the unlimited data plan is around $49 a month. When the 700w comes out, with the unlimited data plan cover the evdo speeds or will I have to pay more for evdo ontop of the $49 plan. How does it currently work with the smarthphones that currently have evdo? Thanks
    If you have a voice plan, the data plan is $45/mo and covers EVDO and 1xRTT.
    Verizon must be nuts charging $45/month for unlimited data (both 1xRTT & EV-DO). I pay only $10/month at Sprint for 1xRTT and its faster than verizon's where I live.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    Currently the unlimited data plan is around $49 a month. When the 700w comes out, with the unlimited data plan cover the evdo speeds or will I have to pay more for evdo ontop of the $49 plan. How does it currently work with the smarthphones that currently have evdo? Thanks
    Among choices you will have are the possibility of signing up for just the data plan (broadband access) or an America's Choice calling plan and the same data plan.

There is a combination voice/data plan, but this plan is only national access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidoff
    Verizon must be nuts charging $45/month for unlimited data (both 1xRTT & EV-DO). I pay only $10/month at Sprint for 1xRTT and its faster than verizon's where I live.
    It's retarded, but go to the Verizon boards at Hofo and say that and they will jump you faster than anything. People there will defend Verizon's price gauging and feature cutting for any reason at all, just because they have the best network. VZW could up and decide to double all prices tomorrow and people would defend them for it.

Note that this doesn't mean I don't have Verizon, but I'm still bitter about how they do business
    I left Verizon for several reaons, price being one of them, but I also found in my area that Cingular was not cutting it at all. In the end its the network (and the Treo 700w) that is bringing me back. The price still sucks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    It's retarded, but go to the Verizon boards at Hofo and say that and they will jump you faster than anything. People there will defend Verizon's price gauging and feature cutting for any reason at all, just because they have the best network. VZW could up and decide to double all prices tomorrow and people would defend them for it.

Note that this doesn't mean I don't have Verizon, but I'm still bitter about how they do business
    Hahaha....thats funny how they will defend it. I look at it this way, if you are being ripped off and dont want to feel guilty, you turn on anyone who points it out to you . Well like ppcmd said, if you have no choice bcos of coverage, then you just have to stick with them. I get good coverage here with Sprint, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    David
    Hahaha....thats funny how they will defend it. I look at it this way, if you are being ripped off and dont want to feel guilty, you turn on anyone who points it out to you . Well like ppcmd said, if you have no choice bcos of coverage, then you just have to stick with them. I get good coverage here with Sprint, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    Ya its true, I only stay because the coverage is best and everyone I know has it so free m2m. But I can definitely admit I'm being ripped off, I can't even remember the last time Verizon gave us any benefits/perks, but I can sure as hell remember the constant things like disabling OBEX on phones, getting rid of free holiday calling, doubling text message charges, etc.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I agree with you 100% VZW is by far the least ethical carrier to do business with as their pricing policies for both data and voice are designed to mislead users to go over their monthly minute allocations, which is where VZW rapes you good and they make big $ (ie. $0.40 per minute for plan overage v. $0.05/min with Sprint)

I live in Westchester county in NY and Sprint works fine. In the rare occasions when I have no Sprint signal I just roam to VZW for a couple of minutes while driving. Treos will connect back to the Sprint network as soon as the signal is back. In my opinion, VZW's better network claims are frivilous.

Now if I was only able to speak about how VZW treats it's trusted business partners, that would be the subject of a new thread...Basically you build a business for them over a number of years, and just at the point you start to make real $, they basically breach their agreements with you and terminate your agreements.
    It's no contest where I live. I pay for DSL speeds (wireless broadband) and I get them. Can't do that here with Sprint - 2.5 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    I live in Westchester county in NY and Sprint works fine. In the rare occasions when I have no Sprint signal I just roam to VZW for a couple of minutes while driving. Treos will connect back to the Sprint network as soon as the signal is back. In my opinion, VZW's better network claims are frivilous.
    Not that I want to start a carrier war (no one wins there) but Verizon's claim that they are the most reliable network is hardly frivolous. If you pick up the latest issue of Consumer Reports (unbiased, unconnected) their study finds Verizon the top carrier in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR US MARKET, with the exception of Chicago where they were topped by US Cellular, a small local carrier. I live in Chicago and their coverage is excellent.

Curiously, Sprint finished behind Tmobile in every market where Tmobile was present and always behind Verizon.

The worst carrier? Surprise, surprise it's Cingular. I can attest to that one first hand.

I guess if you don't live in a major US market this study doesn't apply to you. And as always you have to go with who works best where you live. It just seems that in most cases that happens to be Verizon. Does that justify $45/month for EVDO data. I can't say I agree with that

In any case I would recommend picking up the article. The really funny thing is that overally satisfaction with cellular service as a whole, regardless of carrier, has remained unchanged for the past 2 years.
    Last edited by fumblerooski; 12/25/2005 at 09:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I agree with you 100% VZW is by far the least ethical carrier to do business with as their pricing policies for both data and voice are designed to mislead users to go over their monthly minute allocations, which is where VZW rapes you good and they make big $ (ie. $0.40 per minute for plan overage v. $0.05/min with Sprint)

What? I know how many minutes I have for my three phones(2100) and that I have a 10 MB data plan. It's very simple to check on my minutes and data used online. How are they misleading me or getting me to go over my minutes? It's also very clear what it costs per minute or per K if you go over your allotted time. I wish it was cheaper too, but how is what they do unethical?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I live in Westchester county in NY and Sprint works fine.

He says as he has 1 bar.

In the rare occasions when I have no Sprint signal I just roam to VZW for a couple of minutes while driving. Treos will connect back to the Sprint network as soon as the signal is back. In my opinion, VZW's better network claims are frivilous.

That's funny. With Verizon the phone switches back and forth seamlessly. It doesn't matter because there are no roaming charges with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I was also told you cannot turn of Internet access on these phones. You must have a data plan of some sort. Some of you might be able to change this but this too is designed to get you for mistaken connections.

Note -- unless you pay Verizon for their unlimited data plan, chances of you having a $100+ Internet bill are extremely high...
    I work for Verizon and won't defend their data prices. But what do you expect from a company that made $9B over the last year and then decided to do away with their management employees' pensions and retirement medical benefits while their greedy CEO made $20M in compensation last year? How greedy and shameless is that? There's a place mentioned in the Bible that is reserved for such people. I've got Verizon land line and DSL service but even with the employee discount it's still cheaper for me to get Sprint for wireless when you factor in the ridiculous data service charge. So guess which wireless phone service I have? Can you blame me? I have to take the savings and apply them to my retirement fund.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 12/26/2005 at 01:15 AM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    It's no contest where I live. I pay for DSL speeds (wireless broadband) and I get them. Can't do that here with Sprint - 2.5 years later.
    Unless you have Sprint now, check again since there is Sprint EVDO in your neck of the woods. Comparing to 2.5 years ago is so 2.5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I work for Verizon and won't defend their data prices. But what do you expect from a company that made $9B over the last year and then decided to do away with their management employees' pensions and retirement medical benefits while their greedy CEO made $20M in compensation last year? How greedy and shameless is that? There's a place mentioned in the Bible that is reserved for such people. I've got Verizon land line and DSL service but even with the employee discount it's still cheaper for me to get Sprint for wireless when you factor in the ridiculous data service charge. So guess which wireless phone service I have? Can you blame me? I have to take the savings and apply them to my retirement fund.
    Bigtime agreed, that was a majorly shady thing for Verizon to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I was also told you cannot turn of Internet access on these phones. You must have a data plan of some sort. Some of you might be able to change this but this too is designed to get you for mistaken connections.
    All you need do as ask for no data plan (or in Verizon parlance, pay-as-you-go). Then remove the dialup number from your connections config. Tada! No chance of inadvertent data connection. Simple, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    Unless you have Sprint now, check again since there is Sprint EVDO in your neck of the woods. Comparing to 2.5 years ago is so 2.5 years ago.
    That's precisely my point. In (almost) 2006, Sprint still can't compare to Verizon in 2003 for speed and range of coverage here in the DC area. Talk about "so 2.5 years ago."
    So Kupe, are u saying its worth paying $45/month for unlimited data?
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Not that I want to start a carrier war (no one wins there) but Verizon's claim that they are the most reliable network is hardly frivolous.
    Haven't you noticed they stopped running those comemrcials in Northeast ?....Cingular forced them to stop airing those commercials at least around here, since two recently released studies showed Cingular had best performance in NY metro (tristate) area. Fewest dropped calls....most expansive network. I have both a Cingular and Verizon phone the latter with an in car booster and the Verizon is my backup. Despite the signal boost, here on LI the Cingular gets better reception. Haven't made a call on verizon phone since April.

But this if going to vary by area cause what money one carrier spends here is money it ain't spending somewhere else. It tehrefore pays to investigate local "all carrier" brick and mortar stores, turn the various phone / carriers on and see what you get. Ask what the all carrier stores sell most, what reception they get. Though they may have their own personal bias, the certainly have no vested interest inw hat you buy, typically same commission across the board.

The question I still would like to have answered is how Sprint makes an average of $60+ per customer while Verizon and Cingular are down in upper $40's. They certainly ain't making it on the data plan
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/08/2006 at 09:48 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast