Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I pay the $37 a month for the data (17% corp discount) because I make up most of the difference as almost all of our friends and other family members are on verizon and I can use the $59 voice plan instead of the $79 plan.

I think it is high, especially considering their stance on streaming and tethering.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm only paying $30/month on Verizon. I have one of the PDA Data/Voice plans that cuts the price of the data plan down to $30. GPRS plans on T-Mobile and Cingular are $20/month. I think $30 is a reasonable price to pay for the increased speed of EVDO over that. I don't know about $45 though, that seems high.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    smeg36, I'm curious what area you're in that you pay $30 unlim. data package combined. I'm in So. Cal. and it's normally $45 unlim. data for Verizon but I get it for $40 combined with voice package.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm in South Florida, Miami to be specific. I have the 1350 minute and unlimited data package, and it drops the price of data down to $30. It is the Extra Choice plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    Ya its true, I only stay because the coverage is best and everyone I know has it so free m2m. But I can definitely admit I'm being ripped off, I can't even remember the last time Verizon gave us any benefits/perks, but I can sure as hell remember the constant things like disabling OBEX on phones, getting rid of free holiday calling, doubling text message charges, etc.
    I've had goo dluck with them - when the messed up the insurance - put it on my phone instead off the right one - and i went to file a claim they agreed they screwed up and sent me a new phone when the insurance company said no. They worked with me to get me a 650 for $150 (to match Earthlink) and later to get a $200 discount on a new 700w. They've also fixed billing errors quickly with no hassle.

ATT Wireless, OTOH, idea of customer service is to call and ask you to come back after you switch carriers.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidoff
    So Kupe, are u saying its worth paying $45/month for unlimited data?
    Absolutely.
    all of us are getting ripped off for cell service in the usa period, that's just how it works here

also when comparing data plans, lets not compare 3g connections with slow connections

if anybody knows of a cheaper BROADBAND data plan that will let me stream sirius and tv, let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    all of us are getting ripped off for cell service in the usa period, that's just how it works here
    Yet it's still tons cheaper than in the Europe pay-as-you-go world.
    if anybody knows of a cheaper BROADBAND data plan that will let me stream sirius and tv, let me know
    Sprint. Sources vary but their EVDO is essentially $15-$30/mo, unlimited.
    Hey Blaze:

You can stream sirius and tv on your treo? How? Is it free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Yet it's still tons cheaper than in the Europe pay-as-you-go world.
    My last phone bill at cingular was about $90 after all the fake fees. At ten cents per minute pay as you go, thats 900 minutes. What the hell am i going to talk about for 900 minutes? And my last bill from Verizon ( my only bill ) was $358. After all the bull**** prorate, and fake charges.

I will take a plan any day where i pay 10 cents for every minute that i talk, and nothig more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Sprint. Sources vary but their EVDO is essentially $15-$30/mo, unlimited.
    I am going to look in to this after Verizon finishes paying for my pair of 700w treo's, that they "gave" me for $99 each. BS by the way, just charge me for the phone, and give up on the plans and the 2 year contracts bull.

lawrence.c.lee, yes, and yes its free, do a search for SiriuCE

btw, you can get an unlimited number of Sirius free trials, or if you always listen to it, might as well subscribe, its not that expensive
    I will take a plan any day where i pay 10 cents for every minute that i talk, and nothig more.
    Think $0.20-0.30 per minute, including data time. Ouch!
    No. There are several services here in the USA for 10 cents a minute period.

And the USA is the only place we have these silly contracts and plans and packages. Charge me for only the minutes i use and i will be happy.

And for most cell users of the world, incoming calls are not even included in the 10 cents because they're free.
    No. There are several services here in the USA for 10 cents a minute period.

And the USA is the only place we have these silly contracts and plans and packages. Charge me for only the minutes i use and i will be happy.

And for most cell users of the world, incoming calls are not even included in the 10 cents because they're free.
    That's becaus ein most of the world you have to pay for the phone, and don't get to roam for free. I can go almost anywhere in the US for a flat fee, which provides a coverage area that is unmatched in most of the world. ZFor me, that beats having an unlocked GSM phone and paying extra to conect with a mobile phone.

It's not better or worse, just different and adapted to our country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    It's not better or worse, just different and adapted to our country.
    Yes of course, they are not gauging us because we have much more money in our pockets, they are just "adapting" to our needs.

Yes great, my phone was "free", thats why my first verizon bill was $358 and I am locked in for 2 years.
    Yes of course, they are not gauging us because we have much more money in our pockets, they are just "adapting" to our needs.
    It's just how our markets evolved. We have a hugh calling area that's covered under one fixed fee - unlike say the UK, where you can get a phone with time for about $30/month (similar to here), but pay almost a dollar or so to send or receive calls if you go to say, Germany. I'd say EU customers are being gouged more than we are.

Yes great, my phone was "free", thats why my first verizon bill was $358 and I am locked in for 2 years.
    You had a choice and signed a contract. If you didn't bother to understand what you signed, that's your problem, not Verizon's.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm going to agree with jcoffey here, the US and Europe are so vastly different the cell markets can't really be compared. The US is a HUGE geographical country, especially compared to those in Europe. A cell company like Verizon, Cingular, etc. that cover this whole vast geographical area and provide service almost anywhere in it, without large roaming charges, can't be compared to a cell company that covers a country the size of the state of Ohio. There are just too many variables and differences to compare the two, it would be like comparing, well, apples and oranges.

Does that mean I enjoy spending $130/month? No, but I knew that's what I'd be spending when I signed up, so I have no room to gripe about it. If I didn't want to pay it, I didn't have to get it. Simple supply and demand. Verizon supplies us with the phone, service, and plans (including how much they cost) because we demand it. If we didn't, they would keep lowering the price until it met the market demand.
    You did have the option of buying an unsubsidized phone. Pay $600 for the thing and you contract will be cheaper. And I guess you bought it on line or in Verizon store....at a brick and mortar all carriers store, you could have gotten a 1 year contract. I am paying an average of $27.50 per phone for 4 phones....no complaints.
    Not quite - the UK has 12 and 18 month plans similar to those deals in the US, except for a much smaller area.

That really depends on the origination and termination of a call, plus some areas charge more to call a cell long distance.
    Try Korea where unlimited minutes are included and international calls cost between 5 and 10 cents a minute.

Oh yea, and they also are getting 70 Mbits down and 30 Mbits up IN THEIR HOMES.

And our guys are sitting in their DMZ? What's up with that?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12