Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Mobile Pipeline Story

"Smartphone and PDA vendor Palm Tuesday reported strong profits and dramatically increasing sales of its Treo smartphone in the just-completed quarter. It also said it will release three new Treos in the coming year in addition to the Windows Mobile-based 700w, which will be released in a matter of weeks."...

"Colligan also hinted at the company's future rollout plans. "We'll roll out the Palm Treo 700w smartphone based on Microsoft's Windows Mobile, and we'll announce three additional new smartphones during calendar year 2006," Colligan said in a statement. The Windows Mobile Treo will ship on time in January, he said."
    Last edited by tripm; 12/21/2005 at 01:21 PM.
    You link is messed up: Fixed link
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    thanks pete -
    thas so weird - i never even went to MS's website!

i fixed it in my original post too
    According to "VZWEmployee" at HOFO it will be released January 5th.

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=220
    hmm... january. But that's just for verizon, right? What about for cingular and sprint?

Also, any idea what to expect for the other two phones? Alternative versions of the 700w? Like one with a palm OS and maybe one with some additional features?
    Quote Originally Posted by Threxx
    hmm... january. But that's just for verizon, right? What about for cingular and sprint?

Also, any idea what to expect for the other two phones? Alternative versions of the 700w? Like one with a palm OS and maybe one with some additional features?
    Supposedly Verizon has a 6-month exclusivity agreement with Palm for the 700w - that would make it sometime in the summer for the other carriers.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    As I posted on another thread, that Brighthand article seems a bit mixed up. For instance:

The first, code-named Hollywood, will run the Palm OS and use a very thin design with no external antenna.

It will be released during the second quarter of 2006 by Verizon Wireless, and will support that company's EV-DO high-speed wireless network.

Hollywood might also be available from Sprint.

Yes, Hollywood is supposed to have a thin design and no external antenna. It's also supposed to be targeted in large part at the European market rather than/in addition to the US--which means its a GSM/UMTS phone rather than CDMA/EVDO. So why does that article talk about Hollywood (rather than the 700w/p) coming to Verizon and Sprint?

I'd think we'd know by now if it was coming to Verizon along with the 700w, given all we have heard. Plus, CDMA radios are the ones that rely more on the external antennas, as has been said before.

This is the first article I've seen saying Hollywood will run Palm OS. I hope it does (or at least that we see a Palm OS version). We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Q; 12/22/2005 at 11:35 AM.