Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Please note that the Treo 700w running Windows Mobile will only become available towards the end of January or beginning of February 2006 exclusively from Verizon Wireless for six months. Your Treonauts Smartphone & Accessories Shop should begin taking pre-orders in the first weeks of January.
    http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windo...ile/index.html

    Of course they also review the Treo 700w camera, but I dont think anyone expects much from these cameras in any case.

    Surur
  2. rkdiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    http://blog.treonauts.com/treo_windo...ile/index.html

    Of course they also review the Treo 700w camera, but I dont think anyone expects much from these cameras in any case.

    Surur
    I don't buy that. There is no sense in Verizon starting to advertise this product months in advance. Especially before Christmas.

    Just my $.02
  3. #3  
    Hi rkdiddy!

    End of January = 6 weeks = months???? What are you not buying into? If they dropped one off to Andrew to review, I would bet his info is very reliable. . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/13/2005 at 01:28 PM.
  4. rkdiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    End of January = 6 weeks = months????

    Cheers, Perry.
    Let's see...

    The coming soon page has been up since December 7th.

    December:
    Week of the 6th
    Week of the 12th
    Week of the 19th
    Week of the 26th
    January:
    Week of the 2nd
    Week of the 9th
    Week of the 16th
    Week of the 23rd?
    Week of the 30th?
    February
    Week of the 6th?
    Week of the 13th?

    I count for sure 9 weeks = end of Jan or 11 weeks = early to mid Feb...

    So yes months.



    Regardless, to promote a product 6 weeks or longer is a little much, especially when the product you promoting will canabalize the sales of similar devices over Xmas.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdiddy
    Let's see...

    The coming soon page has been up since December 7th.

    December:
    Week of the 6th
    Week of the 12th
    Week of the 19th
    Week of the 26th
    January:
    Week of the 2nd
    Week of the 9th
    Week of the 16th
    Week of the 23rd?
    (MY 6 weeks.)
    Week of the 30th?February
    Week of the 6th?
    Week of the 13th?

    I count for sure 9 weeks = end of Jan or 11 weeks = early to mid Feb...

    So yes months.



    Regardless, to promote a product 6 weeks or longer is a little much, especially when the product you promoting will canabalize the sales of similar devices over Xmas.
    Maybe that is the point. . . . and if you add in the time since "The Announcement" -- you do have months!!
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/13/2005 at 01:39 PM.
  6. rkdiddy's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Maybe that is the point. . . .
    Maybe...I guess that is why I'm not running their Marketing department!
  7. #7  
    I think they want to keep as many people on the hook as possible. They know the Treo form factor is heavily desired and people will probably wait and/or pre-order. Palm seems to be expert at keeping people waiting on the hook.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #8  
    But WM users are not suckers for Palm marketing and corp customers are not willing to wait despite what Gartner says about RIM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    But WM users are not suckers for Palm marketing and corp customers are not willing to wait despite what Gartner says about RIM.
    I respectfully disagree. imho IT departments (at least of large corps) are risk-averse and all about waiting for that "perfect" system. They focus on the long-term and prefer to deploy a single standard solution for everyone, so if they are just considering deploying RIM, I can see them waiting for a couple of months to be able to eval the 700w. Granted, the new device would carry a lot of risk, but they still want to eval alternatives.

    I do agree with Lady Treo. For whatever reason(s), Palm missed the holiday schedule and are late with the 700w so they'll do anything they can to grab mindshare and push holiday purchases out to Feb. Especially if they think they have a golden opportunity to eat into RIM with the FUD around the patent case.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    I respectfully disagree. imho IT departments (at least of large corps) are risk-averse and all about waiting for that "perfect" system. They focus on the long-term and prefer to deploy a single standard solution for everyone, so if they are just considering deploying RIM, I can see them waiting for a couple of months to be able to eval the 700w. Granted, the new device would carry a lot of risk, but they still want to eval alternatives.

    I do agree with Lady Treo. For whatever reason(s), Palm missed the holiday schedule and are late with the 700w so they'll do anything they can to grab mindshare and push holiday purchases out to Feb. Especially if they think they have a golden opportunity to eat into RIM with the FUD around the patent case.
    I think the first part of your response "answers" the second. I don't think the "holiday schedule" even figures into the smartphone release schedule (other than a fortuitous situation if they happen to coincide). These devices are now aimed squarely at IT, and the consumer sales are "gravy." Perry's silly season is about to become a year round obsession (almost like Christmas starting on the 4th of July at your local Hallmark gift store).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #11  
    That's a good point. Although the 600 and 650 were released in Oct and Nov respectively, they certainly are aimed at primarily corporate users so the holiday season may be less of a factor now (other than the "season for giving").
  12. #12  
    so i guess that means i won't be able to milk the 14 day return policy at verizon, positioning myself for a 700w?
  13. #13  
    Some corporations have opted for RIM simply because MS wasn't ready or able to deliver. Now they are and RIM is in DS so MS now has the oppty to gain the market on it.
  14. #14  
    And other corporations using Domino/Notes will still opt for RIM since there is no other viable alternative.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I think the first part of your response "answers" the second. I don't think the "holiday schedule" even figures into the smartphone release schedule (other than a fortuitous situation if they happen to coincide). These devices are now aimed squarely at IT, and the consumer sales are "gravy." Perry's silly season is about to become a year round obsession (almost like Christmas starting on the 4th of July at your local Hallmark gift store).

    I would like to take credit for coining the term "silly season" but I was just parroting prior posts of others. . . . . . . . . as for IT vs. consumer sales. . . .I would be interested in seeing the true percentage split. I am thinking 60/40 or 40/60. True, the 700W's reason for being is to break down the closed door of the corporate market that wanted "one OS to support only", but I still think we would be surprised by the size of the "consumer" market on Treos.

    Cheers, Perry.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    And other corporations using Domino/Notes will still opt for RIM since there is no other viable alternative.
    True although I thought Good was supposed to come out with Domino/Notes support Real Soon Now
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 12/14/2005 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typing
  17. #17  
    If I had to guess, the 700w will be available to "Business customers" (enterprise) first followed by a general rollout to consumers later perhaps in the early Feb time frame as mentioned above...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Posting Permissions