1.    #1  
    Noobie here.

I searched (perhaps not very well) but could not find an answer.

I use Mac computers and Palm devices, but would like a Treo. Does anyone know if there is an application to enable a Windows Mobile device to sync to a Mac so that I could use a Treo 700W?
    WM yes, with MissingSync or PocketMac. But, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$ $aren$'$t$ $WM$ $5$.$0$ $ready$ $yet$.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oneinthepipe
    Noobie here.

I searched (perhaps not very well) but could not find an answer.

I use Mac computers and Palm devices, but would like a Treo. Does anyone know if there is an application to enable a Windows Mobile device to sync to a Mac so that I could use a Treo 700W?
    Good question. I wondered about that, too, since I own an iMac G5.
    I own both a Powerbook G4 and a WinXP dekstop. The desktop sticks around as my sync device until the Missing Sync and/or PocketMAC get it right. I have to d/l my email and keep my contacts, calender and mail up to date on both. Seems like a waste to some but so is not having your info handy. I am also considering the exchange server service from www.4smartphone.com but I need to check with them more and review the drawbacks. If I use Entourage (which I do and also MAC mail as I sync both on my MAC) I need to confirm that it would be considered Outlook by their service. Either way it would give me a bit more seemless integration but at a small monthly fee, between $4 to $7.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    I own both a Powerbook G4 and a WinXP dekstop. The desktop sticks around as my sync device until the Missing Sync and/or PocketMAC get it right. I have to d/l my email and keep my contacts, calender and mail up to date on both. Seems like a waste to some but so is not having your info handy. I am also considering the exchange server service from www.4smartphone.com but I need to check with them more and review the drawbacks. If I use Entourage (which I do and also MAC mail as I sync both on my MAC) I need to confirm that it would be considered Outlook by their service. Either way it would give me a bit more seemless integration but at a small monthly fee, between $4 to $7.
    Yikes! Thank you for the replies. It doesn't look like I will be getting a 700w anytime soon.
    I use 4smartphone hosted exchange for full wireless sync with Entourage. I highly recommend it. It was inexpensive and works well. Unless there is some specific hardline sync needs I wouldn't let the lack of current sync options disuade you from the 700W. Check out 4smartphone.

Entourage is not considered Outlook syncing for the purposes of pricing. The reason is the user license fees with Outlook but not with Entourage.
    Thanks. I was wondering about that. So if you have outlook or entourage you would be all set and could use the service. Have my email POP and IMAP forward to the 4smartphone server along with my calender and sync.
    I was on the fence about waiting for the 700w. I also use a mac and got the 650 with missingsync which works great

I would say if you are concerned about mac compatibilty, wait till misiing sync gets WM5 compatibilty then buy or wait for the 700p
    For me at least its not a major concern since I have an XP box and it does everything. I can also opt to add 4Smartphone service and really get what I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I was on the fence about waiting for the 700w. I also use a mac and got the 650 with missingsync which works great

I would say if you are concerned about mac compatibilty, wait till misiing sync gets WM5 compatibilty then buy or wait for the 700p
    From the Mark/Space web site:

"Q: When will The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile support WM5 devices?
    A: Though we don't have a planned release date at this time, we are hopeful that it won't be too much longer."

http://www.markspace.com/wm5.html

BUT, the Treo 700w is not on the supported devices list. It might be worth following the link and asking for it to be added if you're interested in getting the missing sync/700w combo working.
    I don't have much confidence in missing sync or pocketmac offering the WM5 support very soon. I am considering two options. First is to sync w/ my XP desktop which I run email and contacts/schedule on or 4smartphone.net for sync.
    [We posted this media alert on 4/6/06]

Earlier today, Mark/Space began offering a preview of their upcoming 2.5
    version of The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile to existing customers. This
    pre-release alpha build is the first Mac OS X application to offer support
    for devices running Windows Mobile 5, such as the HP rx1950, i-mate JASJAR
    and Palm Treo 700w. This alpha release is a Universal application, with
    native support for both Intel and PowerPC Macs.

The final v2.5 release will be provided as a free upgrade for v2.0 owners.
    The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile sells new for $39.95.

Though Mark/Space did not issue a press release on achieving this milestone,
    this is important news for the Mac community.

This alpha preview release does have limitations:

o It's neither feature-complete nor bug-free.

o WM5 devices can only connect via Bluetooth and perform
    a "slow sync", meaning that all records are compared.
    This takes longer. (The final release will support USB
    connections and "fast sync". Due to security changes in
    WM5, Wi-Fi connections will not be supported.)

o This alpha release requires an existing version 2.0
    license and registration code for The Missing Sync for
    Windows Mobile.

Interested individuals can learn more about Windows Mobile 5 device support
    by visiting: <http://www.markspace.com/wm5.html>.
    Brian Hall, Mark/Space Softworks
    Missing Sync, Mark/Space Mobile Office (Fax, E-Mail, SMS, Sketch, PhoneWatcher),
    DataCord, Online VT100
    So MarkSpace offers a beta that requires you to own an earlier copy and they still do NOT offer a trial of the software. Sorry but $40 is alot for a sync app that doesn't work and no eta on when it will. So where is the benefit.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It's not ready yet. They're clearly working on it. Patience.
    well they have "boot camp" coming out sometime for mac, it give you the ability to run Windows on ur Mac this should solve that problem
    Got Treo?