Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The only software on your essential software list that I have is the backup program. I use versamail and am actually quite happy with it.

However, I do have verichat, splashID, and PocketTune on your optional list.

It is my opinion that the majority of users will be happy with the stock Treo as is. They may add a couple of apps to enhance their experience, and that's all.
    Any word on whether the 700w will have the same awful SMS app as the 6700? SMS on the 6700 is the worst possible implementation. Does the 700w have a threaded SMS app like the 650? It's clear to see that it doesn't have a dedicated SMS hard button, so that's a negative.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Umm...that's a highly subjective list and will vary from one user to the next. The only one on your list that I have is Snappermail, and I know that others have been content with VersaMail.
    That is until they are (1) sorry that they didn't have backup, (2) begin realizing that the slowdowns they are having is because Versa is leaving tons of data in RAM, (3) until you've used volumecare you think that the treo needs to be a hassle to listen to without a headphone. Those few alone will cost you roughly $70.

The bottom line really is why are you bothering to get a Treo if aren't going to use the Palm/PDA portion at all? Regardless, as Rome alludes to others will spend money on other apps of importance to them and it will be Palm usable only. Thus you'll probably find yourself spending $100-200 or so. It adds up faster than you think and reading other posts from people who don't have "much" software they still have spent over $100 without realizing it...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Any word on whether the 700w will have the same awful SMS app as the 6700? SMS on the 6700 is the worst possible implementation. Does the 700w have a threaded SMS app like the 650? It's clear to see that it doesn't have a dedicated SMS hard button, so that's a negative.
    I think SMS on the Treo 700w has been re-worked by Palm, so it should be very similiar to SMS on the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    At times the connector for the 650 doesn't make as solid contacts as the 600 and its snap into place action. You find out when you power up again... Additionally, it might not be a rampant problem with the connector but they surely made it cheaper and designed not to last. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen eventually and I see a LOT of complaints about the cable when comparing the differences between the 600 and 650.

FYI, the old Treo connector on the 600 was WORSE than the athena connector on the 650. Just serach for all the threads concerning accidental hard resets caused by shorting on the old conncetors! YUK! Also, the damned Treo connector as something like 3-4 generations old for gawds sakes! The thing was total ancient legacy and had to be replaced imo. At least Palm is now using the athena as standard in all their recent devices...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    PALM

GET WITH THE PROGRAM and move to a mini-D USB
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The SMS app is the standard "Outlook" Windows Mobile 5 version.
    Specs from Treonauts:

1. 240x240 screen instead of 320x320
    2. Processor has same MHz (312) but chipset is PXA272 instead of 270
    3. Microphone has been moved next to multi-connector at the back (like on the Treo 600) instead of at the front on the Treo 650
    4. There is 88MB of total memory with about 65MB available
    5. Bluetooth v1.2
    6. Built-in high-speed EV-DO data support
    LinK: http://blog.treonauts.com/

Not mch of an "upgrade" in my book. Seems to be a OS preference as far as whether people will purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The SMS app is the standard "Outlook" Windows Mobile 5 version.
    That's bad news. So no threaded SMS then? I was hoping that would be one of the "hooks" or whatever that Palm has tweaked on the 700w.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I have to say im disappointed by the processor speed... Was hoping for a min. of 416 but oh well... Also since they are not familiar with the way WM works the memory is miss-stated.
    still need an adapter to use headphones (2.5 to 3.5)

I liked the mic position on the 650 much better than the 600 (echo problems galore with the 600 partially attributed to the mic position)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    Specs from Treonauts:

3. Microphone has been moved next to multi-connector at the back (like on the Treo 600) instead of at the front on the Treo 650
    5. Bluetooth v1.2

Not mch of an "upgrade" in my book. Seems to be a OS preference as far as whether people will purchase.
    If the 700P has the 65mb of available memory and EV-DO , I will be a happy camper. However, the speculation is that the P will have one more "wow" factor. Could that be WiFi or GPS? Silly season continues. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I think its an upgrade from the 600 to this. (I agree with you its not an upgrade from the 650 unless: 1) you need evdo now 2) you have to switch to WM)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The real questions is if they have learned anything from the 650.

i.e.

1) Will they have fixed the volume issue both on the handset and the speakerphone ? The 650 is useless as a speakerphone and only passable as a "phone" with the volume "application" addon what a joke !
    2) Will the BT 1.2 be fully implemented ? Will we finnaly be able to initiate voice dial calls from a headset ? Will the quality be more stable then the 650 ? (very few handsets provide a consistent experience).

Specs from Treonauts:

5. Bluetooth v1.2

All info has been removed from Treonauts as of this morning, I am assuming someone told them to remove all posted information on the 700w, interesting.
    I was about to post teh same thing Darth. Someone didnt like that it was all posted, even the pages are deleted there. Very interesting to say the least; I wonder if he wasnt given an NDA, but then they claimed one since its an unreleased product. Ver interesting, and not like Palm's An&R folks to miss that.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    I was about to post teh same thing Darth. Someone didnt like that it was all posted, even the pages are deleted there. Very interesting to say the least; I wonder if he wasnt given an NDA, but then they claimed one since its an unreleased product. Ver interesting, and not like Palm's An&R folks to miss that.

I was personally shocked it was up there in the first place. I can safely assume that TC has one, but they are mum, they have learned in the past, to just keep mouths shut until PALM themselves have blabbed all the details first. Anyone remember the LEAKED 600 pics back in the day?
    Specs from Treonauts:
    ITA. I don't think this model is for happy Treo 650 users.

There are lots of peole who love Treos but cannot use the Palm OS. Almost 1 year ago I switched from my beloved Treo 600 because of the inherent Palm OS timezone problem and my frequent travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh
    I was personally shocked it was up there in the first place. I can safely assume that TC has one, but they are mum, they have learned in the past, to just keep mouths shut until PALM themselves have blabbed all the details first. Anyone remember the LEAKED 600 pics back in the day?
    Well, you see, it falls actually on the PRPRPR $folks$ $that$ $Palm$ $is$ $using$. $If$ $Treonauts$ $didnt$ $get$ $the$ $paper$ $with$ $the$ $product$ $that$ $says$ $NDA$/$embargoed$ $info$, $or$ $the$ $email$ $before$ $the$ $product$ $came$, $they$ $were$ $in$ $legal$ $right$ $to$ $post$ $it$. $It$ $is$ $more$ $probable$ $that$ $was$ $teh$ $case$, $but$ $someone$ $from$ $Palm$ $notified$ $someone$ $with$ $enough$ $pull$ $to$ $email$ $Treonauts$ $with$ $it$. $Not$ $a$ $faux$ $pas$ $on$ $Treonauts$ $end$ $at$ $all$; $but$ $yes$ $one$ $that$ $shuold$ $have$ $been$ $remembered$ $from$ $times$ $past$.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    1) Will they have fixed the volume issue both on the handset and the speakerphone ? The 650 is useless as a speakerphone and only passable as a "phone" with the volume "application" addon what a joke !
    2) Will the BT 1.2 be fully implemented ? Will we finnaly be able to initiate voice dial calls from a headset ? Will the quality be more stable then the 650 ? (very few handsets provide a consistent experience).
    If it is anything like most WM phones then the answer is yes to both.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast