Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    EXACTLY! Seriously, why would anyone want to buy a MS smartphone device when you can now or quite shortly get WM smartphones with similar or smaller form factors and much much more functionality and features? It doesn't make sense to me...
    Of note is that 600 000 MS Smartphones were sold in Q2 2005. About the same as the number of Treo's. Nokia has shown that many more people are attracted to the phone-like interface and form factor, and sold 10x more smart devices (6 million +) that way.

Most people are not geeks and are intimidated by a keyboard. The smartphone formfactor and simplified OS will remain a strong factor, because that is what consumers want. Its only when you are courting business that keyboards become important (of course the sidekick makes the opposite point, but it still doesn't disprove the whole thesis).

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/07/2005 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Of note is that 600 000 MS Smartphones were sold in Q2 2005. About the same as the number of Treo's. Nokia has shown that many more people are attracted to the phone-like interface and form factor, and sold 10x more smart devices that way.

Most people are not geeks and are intimidated by a keyboard. The smartphone formfactor and simplified OS will remain a strong factor, because that is what consumers want. Its only when you are courting business that keyboards become important (of course the sidekick makes the opposite point, but it still doesn't disprove the whole thesis).

Surur

Yeah, but the MS smartphone is not really targetted as a feature phone the same wsay Series 60 are not feature phones. IMO, there is way too much overlap with MS Smartphone and WM and eventually the two will be merged into one. I recall reading various articles anticipating as much as well on the net... besides I think the cost levels are there to release a low end WM pda phone device anyway...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I agree there is a huge overlap, but Ive seen a PDF which states that MS is preparing to attack even the lowest end "stupid phone" segment but still programmable devices, with 2 line screens etc. They will need a very cut down OS to do this. There will continue to be a need for an OS heavily optimized fr one handed, limited input option usage.

Surur
    Guess I'm lucky since have a corp rep, but he does not have a date yet other than we won't see it in time for x-mas but January is looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, but the MS smartphone is not really targetted as a feature phone the same wsay Series 60 are not feature phones. IMO, there is way too much overlap with MS Smartphone and WM and eventually the two will be merged into one. I recall reading various articles anticipating as much as well on the net... besides I think the cost levels are there to release a low end WM pda phone device anyway...
    You are right (as you often are). Google "HTC Blizzard" to see the real future - a WM5 smartphone (about the same size as the Audiovox SMT5600 with a regular cell phone keypad) and a TOUCH SCREEN. Granted, that's a small screen, but when you really need to input more thant a few words (think emails; internet forms) you can use Calligrapher or the pop up keyboard. Otherwise, you have the world's smallest phone with a real brain and PIM storage in a form factor less than 1/2 the voulme of a Treo 650. Heaven.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    re "How about a nice pocket dictionary for xmas?:

You don't knead a dictionary any maw; a spell trekker does every think four you.

To the point of the thread:
    Stupid? No. Without an EVDO smartphone in its current lineup, it makes sense for VZW to hold on to its base while Sprint is out there with the PPC6700. And right now, there are a lot of Blackberry users anxiously looking for alternatives as the legalized blackmail of RIM is reaching a crisis.

Product cycles in this industry are so short that it's a waste of time to worry about buying an obsolete device. Whatever is currently offered will be replaced soon, and having a few extra months before that happens won't matter in the long run. The question to ask is, "Does this device meet my needs at a price that makes sense to me?" If the answer is yes, then take the plunge. If not, wait for the fuel-cell powered Treo with the holographic display and built-in orgasmatron.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Besides, the 700w is a BlackBerry killer and is aimed more at the corporate market than the consumer market.
    How so? there is one thing you must understand, the blackberry is all about email, and no WM5 version is going to top it, especially when you need exchange for the push effect. The other thing to consider is that, the BB has less features, which means less confusion for the user, it has specific function and what its designed to do, it does extremely well.

Honestly, the Treo is a geek toy, I love the treo aside from all its annoyances because I love electonic gadgets, but most users out there that use a device like the Treo or a BB do not need to stream music, watch movies, stream TV, play MP3's and mave crappy videos, many corp environments will not allow camera phones in the 1st place.

So you have 2 options, a device like the 650 thats buggy as hell and crashes constantly or a BB which is rock solid and does its job perfectly every time.

Do you really think the average joe out there who's IT hands him a treo is going to be inclined to fiddle with resets and tweaks to get it to work?

While I have high hopes for the 700w, I dont think it will be a BB killer, the BB just does whats it sets out to incredibly well and has proven its self timne and time again, it would take alot for a device to swing the market.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc
    While I have high hopes for the 700w, I dont think it will be a BB killer, the BB just does whats it sets out to incredibly well and has proven its self timne and time again, it would take alot for a device to swing the market.
    If RIM doesn't get its act together on the patent infringement case (right or wrong), then the only Blackberry-killer will be RIM. Being the best, like Blackberries are, doesn't mean being in first place in the marketplace - if RIM exposes their lead to the Microsoft juggernaut by getting shut down as a part of the litigation, they'll never catch back up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12