Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I spoke to bus services and a regular cs and no one had any idea of when or how much. Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    Guess I'll most likely be holding off until EVDO is a little more widely spread then.
    It would depend on your locale. Here in DC I have been exclusively EVDO for well over 2 years.
    Calls do ring through when a GPRS/EDGE connection is active on a GSM phone, though, right? Or am I crazy?
    I'm not sure, but I think I've heard what you say is true.
    Is this really true? I always thought that in an EVDV world that would be true -- or maybe I'm thinking simultaneous voice and data?

So, you're saying that if those green arrows are showing and a call comes in then a) the green arrows will grey out; and b) the call will ring through?

That would be fantabulous if it were the case!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Only if you are currently on an EVDO connection - the call will ring through immediately. If you are on a 1xRTT connection, the call will be redirected to voice mail.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Is this really true? I always thought that in an EVDV world that would be true -- or maybe I'm thinking simultaneous voice and data?

So, you're saying that if those green arrows are showing and a call comes in then a) the green arrows will grey out; and b) the call will ring through?

Yes, that is the case.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous

My understanding:
    The reason is the Treo will now have two radios, one that is EVDO used for data only (hence the last two letters, DO) and one radio for voice only (and 1x data when EVDO is not available).
    Therefore if you are in an EVDO area and a call comes in the regular radio picks it up and software causes the data to stop.
    Great. Now, hopefully the data connection can disconnect itself quickly (a la GPRS) as opposed to the 10-20 sec disconnect times of 1xRTT.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The 700w looks strange without the Palm OS on the screen.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    My understanding:
    The reason is the Treo will now have two radios, one that is EVDO used for data only (hence the last two letters, DO) and one radio for voice only (and 1x data when EVDO is not available).
    Therefore if you are in an EVDO area and a call comes in the regular radio picks it up and software causes the data to stop.
    Yes, you are correct. That is exactly the way it works on the PPC-6700. It has two radios (not counting the BT and WiFi ones). Like you said, one for EVDO data and one for voice/1x. The Treo 700w will also have two radios and work the same way.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    Guess I'll most likely be holding off until EVDO is a little more widely spread then.

Calls do ring through when a GPRS/EDGE connection is active on a GSM phone, though, right? Or am I crazy? I'm virtually sure that it has happened to me, but now you all are putting doubt in my mind.
    On GSM if you receive a call while you have a GPRS session active then the call will still be received. If you choose to answer the call the GPRS session is paused until the call is ended. I assume EDGE works in the same way, but have no real life experience to back this up.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awoodvine
    On GSM if you receive a call while you have a GPRS session active then the call will still be received.
    Not true... if you are in an active GPRS data session meaning there is data being received/sent.. then the call will go to VM... if the connection is dormant..meaning on but not reveiving or sending data then a call will ring through... so in other words... if you are streaming music then a call would go to VM.. if the data connection is on but not active it will come through..same holds true for 1xRTT....

EVDO allows a call to come through at all times.
    Apologizes if already posted there is a video also................

http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Treo_on...2.html?tag=nav
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 12/11/2005 at 09:06 AM.
    One other thing and I can't speak for Verizon but with Sprint this so called calls coming through while transferring data on EVDO DOES NOT WORK.
    re "EVDO used for data only (hence the last two letters, DO)":

Actually, the DO is now often said to stand for "Data Optimized" rather than "Data Only". It's one of those acronyms that can mean what the vendor says it means.

Does anyone know if this device will offer a Blackberry client? Or, what other provision there is for Exchange email, e.g. the currently offered desktop connector, or MS Activesync?
    Well does anyone wanna take a crack at what the price may be as that might be more of way to gauge if this 700w is really worth upgrading from a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Well does anyone wanna take a crack at what the price may be as that might be more of way to gauge if this 700w is really worth upgrading from a 650.
    Look in the area of $500-600 depending on whether you get a business deal or not.

If you want out of the PalmOS, and the ability to use Wifi NOT at the same time as being on a call, then go for it. honestly, its not meant to be an upgrade for 650 users, but as a move for those folks that need the MS side of things.

Now, I will say that if you are in a business that has upgraded to Exchange 2005 and they are really making you get a BB, get the 700w and tell them to plug you in, that will make it worth more than the 650 for a ton of folks. Though I stand by my stance of not wanting an IT dept playing with my PDAs ever!
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    re "EVDO used for data only (hence the last two letters, DO)":

Actually, the DO is now often said to stand for "Data Optimized" rather than "Data Only". It's one of those acronyms that can mean what the vendor says it means.

Does anyone know if this device will offer a Blackberry client? Or, what other provision there is for Exchange email, e.g. the currently offered desktop connector, or MS Activesync?
    hmm I suppose you could have the letters stand for anything but originally it was EVDO for data only and EVDV for Data Voice. Not that it even matters...
    Just spoke with sales. They have never heard of the xv6700 and said that the treo 700 should be out by Christmas. Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt. They said that the coming soon page was up sooner than they had expected and that release should be by or around christmas hopefully. We'll see
  18.    #58  
    Nothing huge but Verizon took the Treo700 icon from the upper left of the page and put it more in the right-center of the page-seems like we are getting closer.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/b...inessSolutions

Coming Soon!
    Treo 700w

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phon.../treo_700w.jpg

Bringing the Treo experience to a Windows Mobile device exclusively with Verizon Wireless.

Learn more
    Well as there is 6 xmas shopping days left, It's fair to say they missed the holiday shopping season. Maybe they will release it xmas day.....
    I'm thinking Jan. 2. But it indeed might be the day after Christmas.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast