Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Per Marcus' article (www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/720-1.htm), it looks like the Treo 700w manual is available on the FCC website:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

So here is my first random comment: many pages of the manual feature pictures of people happily chatting away on their mobile phones...

...Oddly, NONE of their phones are Treos!!!
    From the manual

Using a hands-free device with Bluetooth wireless technology
    Your Treo smartphone is also compatible with many headsets and car kits enabled with Bluetooth
    wireless technology version 1.1 or 1.2. Please note, however, that you cannot use a Bluetooth
    headset to listen to MP3 files on your smartphone.
    BOO

i really like my 650 and probably will have it for the next two years at least. just makin a comment.

unless they come out with some just like the 650 that i can listen to music via bluetooth headset. other than that it does exactly what i need and well
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    From the manual

BOO

i really like my 650 and probably will have it for the next two years at least. just makin a comment.

unless they come out with some just like the 650 that i can listen to music via bluetooth headset. other than that it does exactly what i need and well
    This is not really true. I think manual is few months old. Sterio audio over bluetooth will be available to wm5 unless HTC decides to remove it.
  4.    #4  
    In the manual, there are several drawings of the Treo's keypad (for example, page 10). The coloring of the "number keys" don't match the coloring of the number keys in the photographs of the treo:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Take a look at the "T" key....whoops!
    I would not hold your breath for stereo aubio over bluetooth. Wasn't the 650 suppose to have a 1.3MP camera and work with WiFi?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    the manual really didnt get into details regarding the specs of the phone(memory, processor,wifi etc.) the part i was really interested in, really nothing in the manual to make me want to drop the 650 for the 700, i'm like franko.....if there is no major improvements/modifications then i can just as well stick with the 650 for a while......we'll see.
    The lack of any specs in the manual was extremely annoying. I don't see any functionality worth switching for but I desparately want to get some glimpse of the rumored 700p. Now that I might switch to
    Will a mod please move this 700w *shudder* discussion over to the appropriate forum? Thanks.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    Will a mod please move this 700w *shudder* discussion over to the appropriate forum? Thanks.
    Whoops! Good call.
    <moved>

Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    This is not really true. I think manual is few months old. Stereo audio over bluetooth will be available to wm5 unless HTC decides to remove it.
    Or Verizon decides to remove it unless you pay?

I can't download the pdf, they've decided to take it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    The lack of any specs in the manual was extremely annoying.
    PXA272-312MHz
    Storage 62.95 Mb
    Program 25.45 Mb

After using one for a couple of hours, you will want to switch.
    Thanks for the specs. Since they weren't in the manual, can I ask what your source is? Not being familiar with the WM5 memory map, is the Program space for apps+WM5 or just apps? Either way, it looks like an improvement over the 10MB cache limit in PalmOS 5.4.

To be honest, I've got a fair amount invested in PalmOS apps and don't want to give up my 320x320 resolution, so I'm more interested in the 700p. If Palm only provides 32MB again on the 700p, I'll stay with the 650. If they go with something closer to these specs, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Corrigan gave a nice teaser after the 700w announcement that the next PalmOS Treo would be "amazing", so I'm still anxious to see what he meant.
    Most WM2003SE users had 64MB RAM total to split between storage and apps so its not as crappy as it sounds. But if the 32mb of program is right Palm cheaped out as usuall. They can mess up PoS devices but WMoS users are less forgiving. Hopefully yours ins't final spec if so the jury will have to wait.
    No they cannot mess up Palm OS devices!! How many Palm users were lost when the 6700 came out? Obviously not all Palm users will stay with Palm OS just for Palm's sake.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by 700owner
    PXA272-312MHz
    That seems a little bit underpowered by today's standards. Have you tried playing back videos with that processor?
    It should be fine, especially for a less than qvga screen, with only 240x240 pixels to push. Of course its important to encode to your screen size, else the processor overhead due to scaling will kill you.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by 700owner
    PXA272-312MHz
    Storage 62.95 Mb
    Program 25.45 Mb

After using one for a couple of hours, you will want to switch.
    I'm sorry, but that "Program 25.45 Mb" still fries me. I know, I know, I've been told a bizillion times it's more efficient, but scrimping on RAM when EVERYONE else is shipping 64 Mb devices, is outrageous, and a trademark of the Palm line (I have been, WAS, a Palm addict since the original USRobotics Palm Professional). There is NO justification for this shortcoming.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    No they cannot mess up Palm OS devices!! How many Palm users were lost when the 6700 came out? Obviously not all Palm users will stay with Palm OS just for Palm's sake.
    Very true. I've been a Palm loyalist since 1996 (with a few dabbles in PPC land over the years). HTC WM5 devices are the future of smartphones, and PDA's for that matter. HTC acts like Sony on steroids pumping out more and varied combinations of devices, and the Wizard line (K-Jam, Qtek, Cingular 8125) is racing to the top in both feature set and functionality. Maybe the Treo Hollywood line will turn some heads, if: there really is no antennae, it carries WiFi, and is thinner than the Wizards. But I'll bet they'll want near $700 for basically a Treo 650 in a thinner case (that means no WiFi, no GSM version of broadband, bluetooth 1.2 and 32mb ram).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Very true. I've been a Palm loyalist since 1996 (with a few dabbles in PPC land over the years). HTC WM5 devices are the future of smartphones, and PDA's for that matter. HTC acts like Sony on steroids pumping out more and varied combinations of devices, and the Wizard line (K-Jam, Qtek, Cingular 8125) is racing to the top in both feature set and functionality.
    And we all know what happened to Sony's PDA business
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm sorry, but that "Program 25.45 Mb" still fries me.
    Since those numbers are seemingly "remaining" memory numbers read off of WM5.0's "Memory Control Panel (I mean really, when's the last timeyou heard of a 24.45 MB memory chip?), it appears the Treo 700W will have the standard 128 MB persistent memory (ROM) and 64 MB program memory (RAM). The numbers quoted above are very close to the same numbers reported by numerous version of the HTC Apache/Wizard running WM5.0 with the 128/64 mb memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast