Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know it was briefly mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to give this conversation its own spot -- some guys have written some software to stream Sirius to Windows Mobile Phones or Smartphones via the Windows Media Player.

It's called SiriuCE and it looks pretty cool. I'm leaning (really really hard) towards Sirius b/c they have the NFL exclusively but haven't jumped yet. But if someone made a port of SiriuCE for Palm, I'd jump onto the Sirius bandwagon today!

Anyone else? Would this product make you consider the 700w even more?
    HUGE sirius fan here. A couple of months ago I looked into streaming Sirius to my Treo 600 and found very little on the subject. I'm excited to hear that they are making progress on this front.
    The only potential problem I foresee is the same problem developers have making 3rd party Sirius streaming applications (Siriusly, ItsOnSirius, etc) for desktops. They always seem like they need updates/patches on continue streaming. I hope this is not the case.
  3.    #3  
    It looks like ItsOnSirius has been discontinued... I think I'm going to try Siriusly, thank for the tip. But man, getting Sirius on a Treo would be sweeeeeet.
    Sprint offers a service to stream Sirius music channels to vision enabled phones, although I'm not sure if this works yet with the Treo:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...scTopic=sirius
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...=multimedia100
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000123057807/

Also, you can get the NFL network TV channel via mobiTV package. I don't know if there are plans to add NFL station to Sirius package though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    It doesn't work with the Treo yet -- Sprint's site lists these three phones only --

Samsung a900
    Samsung MM-a940
    Sanyo MM-9000

Bummer.

As a side note, some people on the SiriusBackstage website are mad b/c the music channels offered through Sprint are being 'cleaned' up, just like songs are for regular FM stations:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ic.php?t=26584

Boy are some of these guys pissed!
    But Sirius won't let you record the audio, but XM will.
    XM is the superior company, and you can listen to online too with Windows Mobile
    PDA access aside, I certainly feel that Sirius is better for one major reason....reception. I have been using Sirius for 2 plus years now. With work I also have to rent a lot of cars that have XM. With XM if there is anything blocking your line of sight at 30 degrees you have no signal. With Sirius it is nearly straight up. So whenever I drive up the Gorge along the Columbia river I never loose signal with Sirius. But when I make the same drive with XM, I loose the signal up to 20 minutes at a time because there is hill or mountain blocking me.

So if you have a lot of hills where you live, XM is not the service for you if you do not continually interrupted service while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    PDA access aside, I certainly feel that Sirius is better for one major reason....reception. I have been using Sirius for 2 plus years now. With work I also have to rent a lot of cars that have XM. With XM if there is anything blocking your line of sight at 30 degrees you have no signal. With Sirius it is nearly straight up. So whenever I drive up the Gorge along the Columbia river I never loose signal with Sirius. But when I make the same drive with XM, I loose the signal up to 20 minutes at a time because there is hill or mountain blocking me.

So if you have a lot of hills where you live, XM is not the service for you if you do not continually interrupted service while driving.

Yup, sirius has 3 satelites in low earth orbit continuously broadcasting over the United States. XM has one big geo-synch satelite much further out and located down near the equator. Sirius is much better set up in my opinion for reception.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    When I had the HP6515 I did the XM streaming through a website and it worked very well I was please, I would love to stream XM on my 650. Whenever I did stream XM it had to use Windows Media Player, the only issue that I see with the 650. We all know that pTunes does a great job of shoutcast so its only a matter of time till someone figures out XM
    Sirius may have more SAT's but they don't let you record the streaming audio on their player and I have yet to hear you can't with XM.
  12.    #12  
    I haven't tried it, but there are two software programs that let you do more than what Sirius' website streaming let's you do. You can find write-ups about them on www.siriusbackstage.com -- I think one's called SiriusXPlay... not sure about the other.
  13.    #13  
    oh, sorry, meant to say this, but Sirius' s50 receiver is kind of an mp3 player -- you can load your tunes on it (not a ton, to be honest) and save Sirius streamed content as well. It needs to be in the home dock or the car dock to stream live stuff, but the idea is that you stream it, save it on the s50 and play it back whenever you want. Again, there are pros and cons, and limitations, so YMMV (I don't have an S50 but will prolly get Sirius for the nfl this Christmas) but there ya go.
    I have the Sportster Sirius reciever and I can rewind or pause 45 minutes of streaming. My last reciever from Kenwood let me record and save a limited amount of songs or streamed audio.....something like 30 songs worth.

But I agree the mobile S50 does look very tempting! http://www.sirius.com/s50/
    Quote Originally Posted by bradward
    Yup, sirius has 3 satelites in low earth orbit continuously broadcasting over the United States. XM has one big geo-synch satelite much further out and located down near the equator. Sirius is much better set up in my opinion for reception.
    Actually, the Sirius satellites are -not- in low earth orbit. They are in a geosynchronous orbit with an inclination, rather than the geostationary orbit (with no inclination) of XM's three satellites. Because of the inclination of the orbit of Sirius' satellites, they appear to move relative to the earth in a figure 8 pattern, but they're rougly the same altitude as XM's satellites. The figure 8 pattern has them orbiting overhead in some parts of the US at certain times of the day.
    is there any XM type program out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I know it was briefly mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to give this conversation its own spot -- some guys have written some software to stream Sirius to Windows Mobile Phones or Smartphones via the Windows Media Player.

It's called SiriuCE and it looks pretty cool. I'm leaning (really really hard) towards Sirius b/c they have the NFL exclusively but haven't jumped yet. But if someone made a port of SiriuCE for Palm, I'd jump onto the Sirius bandwagon today!

Anyone else? Would this product make you consider the 700w even more?
    Sirius's satellites are low or XM's are geosynchronous. I did one of my senior projects on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000
    Actually, the Sirius satellites are -not- in low earth orbit. They are in a geosynchronous orbit with an inclination, rather than the geostationary orbit (with no inclination) of XM's three satellites. Because of the inclination of the orbit of Sirius' satellites, they appear to move relative to the earth in a figure 8 pattern, but they're rougly the same altitude as XM's satellites. The figure 8 pattern has them orbiting overhead in some parts of the US at certain times of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by geminigrudge
    Sirius's satellites are low or XM's are geosynchronous. I did one of my senior projects on it.
    No, if Sirius' satellites were in a low orbit they wouldn't be able to maintain their same east-west position relative to the earth (with an orbital period of 24 hours). You just can't do that in low earth orbit. They have apparent north-south movement due to the inclination of their orbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    PDA access aside, I certainly feel that Sirius is better for one major reason....reception. I have been using Sirius for 2 plus years now. With work I also have to rent a lot of cars that have XM. With XM if there is anything blocking your line of sight at 30 degrees you have no signal.

Not true at all. You base XM on your rental car experience, which is not a fair comparison. Rental cars often stick a Roadyish device on the dashboard and rarely install the antenna properly. I have XM preinstalled on my new car (driving since May) and have NEVER had a dropout of a signal, even in hilly Atlanta terrain. The reception is fabulous. Just don't want anyone misled by your post.

It also depends on rural v. urban environments as XM (and I assume Sirius) use repeaters on the ground in urban areas.
    Out of 35 plus cars I have rented with XM and Sirius....all with the same reception experience with both from Portland, OR to Philly....tends to give me the impression (though I could be wrong) that Sirius does have better angles available for line of sight to their sats than XM does.

Again, I don't pretend to know the tech side of it....just sharing my experience from many locations across the US with using both services with the same results.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast