Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One of the sneaky things to knmow about XM is their augmentation by land-based receivers. I don't know how often they use this capability, but here in the DC area, you can receive XM up to two levels below ground level in most parking garages due to these repeater towers in the local area (DC is also XM's home city, so they may be focusing a lot here.
    Will I be able to get Howard on the 700 (or another Windows Mobile device)?
    You canno't currently listen to any Sirius channels online except for the music. I hope they change this soon because i'd also like to listen to Howard with the Treo 700w.
  4.    #24  
    That's actually not totally true anymore... I did the 3-day trial thing, and they had _some_ talkshows on there. I dunno if they're going to stream Howard tho. I'm sure someone would record it and put it on Bit Torrent everyday, and they'd lose the chance to pick up more customers.
    Go with the XM, and check out Opie and Anthony on XM 202.
  6.    #26  
    O & A were ok... I used to listen to them when they were on 106.7 -- before they got kicked off for broadcasting people having sex in a Catholic Church in NY. I like Howard's interviews, and am curious what he'll be like uncensored.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    O & A were ok... I used to listen to them when they were on 106.7 -- before they got kicked off for broadcasting people having sex in a Catholic Church in NY. I like Howard's interviews, and am curious what he'll be like uncensored.
    Howard will be like he is now, boring and unoriginal. OnA are much better now on XM though check em out..
    I've owned both services and both have minor drawbacks.

I never had problems with reception with XM except when I attempted to use my MYFI when jogging(I just don't think the technology is there - unless you live in a large city and you jog in an area where there are unobstructed paths to the local antennas). Since my experience with Sirius has been primiarly in my car, I've had zero problems with reception. All-in-all, reception wise, my experience with both services have been positive.

Really it comes down to programming.

I think Jim Norton is hilarious, but O&A isn't Howard Stern and I think Stern alone guarantees that Sirius will have the brighter future of the 2(and that doesn't include the deals that Sirius has with the NFL, NBA, NHL and Nascar compared to XM's deals with MLB and the PAC-10). That being said, there are two things that I preferred in XM and those are; MSNBC(my favorite news network and I listen to talk/news radio quite a bit) and I found XM's selection of rock stations was better than Sirius'.

As far as streaming goes, I've only listened briefly to Sirius online and all they offered at the time was music streams online(but I need to check it out to see if they've made changes).

The fact is, the satellite radio debate is the new MAC vs PC, nVIDIA vs ATI et al. Both sides have their drawbacks but people make their choices and they aren't willing to admit that both services have some flaws.
    Yes, it comes down to programming. If you like classic rock, Sirius is very good, but XM stinks! XM has fewer DJ interuptions, which is nice.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    i will throw down and have win with anyone who thinks that sirius is a better company then xm - it's not even close your research is lacking
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geminigrudge
    i will throw down and have win with anyone who thinks that sirius is a better company then xm - it's not even close your research is lacking
    Wow, what a helpful post. Can I get your autograph on a printout of your immortal words -- I want to hang this on my cube wall.
    I also have had both services, and I prefer Sirius. It really does come down to content...
    Well did we find any solution to Sirius and the 650 or 700w thing. I am really itching to get a Siruis receiver. What amazes me about these receivers is they all need the antenna. I thought it was all intergrated.

Anyway am leaning towards the Starmate, but I would hate to have another device on my dashboard, the Treo is enough. But with Sprint limiting channels and content we may have no other choice. They don't even have the Sports channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Well did we find any solution to Sirius and the 650 or 700w thing. I am really itching to get a Siruis receiver. What amazes me about these receivers is they all need the antenna. I thought it was all intergrated.

Anyway am leaning towards the Starmate, but I would hate to have another device on my dashboard, the Treo is enough. But with Sprint limiting channels and content we may have no other choice. They don't even have the Sports channels.
    Xact Visor is your answer. About the size of a radar detector. I use one in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    ... I'm sure someone would record it and put it on Bit Torrent everyday....
    It's already on the news groups...
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Xact Visor is your answer. About the size of a radar detector. I use one in my 2003 Jeep Wrangler.

I saw that one but thought the screen was kind of tiny.

Correction it was the Sirius ONE that I was looking at.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/10/2006 at 02:19 PM.
    I have Sirius, my friend has XM. I have better reception overall (Missouri). Biggest reason for me to go with Sirius was the NFL, I like being able to hear each and every game from both sides and like the dedicated NFL channel. As for Baseball, I only listen to Cardnial games so dont need all the others. Agree with you on the angles Hobbes, my friend loses his a lot if buildings or hills in the way where I dont have a problem. On the other hand, I lose mine if i am stopped under an overhang (like at McDonalds in cities where no terrestrial repeater) and sometimes he doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Out of 35 plus cars I have rented with XM and Sirius....all with the same reception experience with both from Portland, OR to Philly....tends to give me the impression (though I could be wrong) that Sirius does have better angles available for line of sight to their sats than XM does.

Again, I don't pretend to know the tech side of it....just sharing my experience from many locations across the US with using both services with the same results.
    ...still listening (about a year now) to Sirius on my Treo 600 via DISH Network / Shoutcast / pTunes... I've posted about it previously elsewhere in these forums. I could do the same on the 650. Not sure about the 700w, is there a windows player that streams shoutcast?
    SoCalVisor:

Are you limited to the channel that the DISH receiver is left at? Is there anyway to change channels?

Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12