Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, like so many others I loved and love webOS. I was getting nostalgic a few weeks ago, and in looking around the web, I noticed that people were still using webOS devices. After giving it a bit of thought I decided to dig out my old pre+ and see if I could get it going again. My battery would barely hold a charge and was so swollen I could barely get the back cover on. I ordered a new battery, started digging around webosnation and pivotCE. Thanks to all the great work done by the webOS community past and current, within a few days I was up and running. Overall, I’m really pleased with the results of what can still be done using a webOS phone, even on an older version.

The idea of this post is basically to share what I’ve found in getting things set up on a pre+ running OS 1.4.5. There is a ton of information on webosnation and elsewhere, though digging through it all can take a lot of time. The community for webOS is amazing and has kept things afloat for far longer than I imagined. I am so thankful to those out there who have been keeping webOS going. I am not an authority on anything mentioned here, I am simply sharing what I found as a reference for others and myself. I imagine that there are things that are incorrect here, and I plan on updating the information to be as accurate as possible. Any input is very much appreciated.

Getting Started

A good place to start was, and is for anyone, to check out the guide Coming (Back) to WebOS in 2014 Part 1. You may want to first get your bearings on backing things up from Preemptive’s backup thread here. It’s always, always, always a good idea to back as many things up as you think are needed before being adventurous. Some of the information/patches in the guide are now out of date or obsolete; however, there are still a number of useful and crucial things there. Here is a step by step breakdown of what worked and didn’t for me from that guide.

Step 1. Did not apply to me because I was setting up an old phone of mine that had previously been activated and still had my palm profile on it.

Step 2. I did connect to my wifi network.

Step 3. No longer applies, as the article indicates

Step 4. I followed this step just as it is.

Step 5. I followed this step just as it is.

Step 6. I did try to install this updater and could not get it to completely install either in Preware or via WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI). The install would always hang and not finish. Looking back, it’s possible that I just didn’t wait long enough for it to finish, though I’m not sure that’s the case. In the end though, the update is superceded by others and I believe can just be skipped (see below in certificates).

Step 7. I followed this step just as it is.

Step 8. I did try to install the gsync patch, later to learn that it is obsolete. When I say try, I tried through WOSQI a couple times and got back errors. I gave up and eventually got email to work anyway (see below in Email and Certificates). In looking at my applications directory though, I do have a folder for this patch ca.canuckcoding.patches.gsync.12 with the unified_diff.patch file. I’m not sure that its is really doing anything helpful without a full install and being obsolete. Maybe someone can advise on this and also if I can just go ahead and remove this folder?

Step 9. I checked into this and I already had this enabled.

Step 10. I followed this step just as it is.

Email and Certificates

From here, I moved on to focusing on updating certificates and getting email working if possible. In the end I did get email to fully work, sending and receiving, with an icloud, msn, and 2 gmail accounts. Basically, what I needed to install was the Root Certificate Updater and then the Open SSL Updater. As I mentioned earlier, I did originally try and install the gsync patch (step 8 above), though It did not fully install and is obsolete so I’m assuming it did nothing. I also tried to install the Globalsign Root Certificate Updater (step 6 above), but it would never finish the install. In the end it is superceded by the Root Certificate Updater anyway.

Google Calendar and Contacts

With webOS 1.4.5 there is no way to sync your google calendar or contacts that I know of… You can import contact information, without photos, via vcards. For me I really don’t have a ton of contacts so this doesn’t bother me really. Calendar info can be imported via iCalImporter though it can be a little clunky. Without different calendars with various color options, the UberCalendar patch adds a lot of useful icon labeling and other great enhancements.

Apps

So far, I’ve found a few great sources for apps. The first is using the apps section right here at webosnation. Many apps are no longer there to download, though quite a few are still available. There is also the 6000+ apps ftp option. I’ve found a ton of apps that way. The best source for maintained apps though has of course been Preware, (step 10 above). Also see Preemptive’s Zombie and Dead Apps List for more detailed information on what’s around and what’s gone.

2017.png

My most used non-native apps are:

Project Macaw - a maintained Twitter client app
    FeedSpider - to access my feedly feeds
    Forums - to keep tabs on forums
    drPodder - for podcasts
    AccuWeather - for weather
    pReader - for ebooks
    Pandora - for streaming music
    Various games

Apps and services I wish were functional are:

Facebook - The app no longer works, though you can still get a decent experience via the web browser at x.facebook.com or m.facebook.com
    Spotify - Currently, no way to access Spotify
    YouTube - no option for webOS 1.4.5

Patches and Tweaks

If you would like to tinker with improving your webos experience then I would suggest checking out Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2. I didn’t do all of the tweaks and patches listed there, but I did do most of them. For sure, the one that I found the most valuable was installing UberKernel and Govnah. Experimenting with overclocking has yielded massive improvements in the whole webOS experience. A nice companion to this is of course the thread for UberKernel. I’ve pretty much settled on using some form of 1 GHz overclocking, which is such a giant improvement.

I’m also constantly looking for and trying out various app patches in Preware. Many of which I wouldn’t want to do without.

More

That’s pretty much the basics. Extremely useful articles can be found at PivotCE not to mention news on LuneOS. More information on various services and updates including webOS 1.4.5 and beyond can be found at Preemptive’s Service Pack thread. Current projects and community ideas are being discussed in the webOS meetups thread.

Please, please, please comment with any recommendations, things that are wrong, or anything I should check out. I’m looking at updating to webOS 2.1, though I may just keep this phone at 1.4.5 and pick up a Pre 2 or 3 .
    Last edited by Revpock; 10/14/2017 at 12:52 AM.
    I commend you on your thoroughness. Since this thread is not specific to just 1.4.5, I can't recommend highly enough upgrading the Pre Plus to webOS 2.1. It comes with a different set of issues, but is capable of more. I'll mention ahead of time that the OpenSSL update breaks SSL pretty badly on webOS 2.1.. it does work on 1.4.5, it's just that the installer never "finishes" as you have already seen.

That said, the Pre2 and Pre3 are GREAT devices. I do really like my webOS 2.1 Pre Plus, but the Pre3 is my favorite webOS device.
    Revpock likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I commend you on your thoroughness. Since this thread is not specific to just 1.4.5, I can't recommend highly enough upgrading the Pre Plus to webOS 2.1. It comes with a different set of issues, but is capable of more. I'll mention ahead of time that the OpenSSL update breaks SSL pretty badly on webOS 2.1.. it does work on 1.4.5, it's just that the installer never "finishes" as you have already seen.

That said, the Pre2 and Pre3 are GREAT devices. I do really like my webOS 2.1 Pre Plus, but the Pre3 is my favorite webOS device.
    Thanks a bunch! Yeah, the more I go along, the more I am tempted to go ahead and tackle 2.1. I had just read the other day what you had said regarding OpenSSL on 2.1 on that specific updater thread. Is that still correct that I would just need to use your Cert Grabber app instead of installing Open SSL? Hmmmmmm..... I really am ready to explore this a little this week.
    Yep cert grabber fills the stop gap with the broken openssl on 2.1.0. I really wish they'd fix that...oh well. Welcome back.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Revpock likes this.
    Thanks for the thread. Naturally, I'll be stealing your guide later...
    Revpock likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Thanks for the thread. Naturally, I'll be stealing your guide later...
    Haha, take whatever you like. I stole it all from various sources, a bunch of it from your threads, hehe.
  7.    #7  
    So, I went ahead and did the 2.1 upgrade this morning. Setting things up is going pretty well, but I was wondering if someone could help with the email specifics. I installed Frantid's root cert updater and did not do the open ssl updater. I've been trying to set up Gmail and haven't had any luck yet. I've been trying to set it up as manual imap like I did in 1.4.5. I tried to use the cert grabber app to get certs ahead of the setup but it didn't get any... What should I try from here? The next step after Gmail will be an MSN and icloud account.
    You'll need the updated certs pulled down by cert grabber for gmail to work. What messages were displayed? It has been a while, but I know I've posted specifics on adding gmail on 2.1 devices - particularly the Veer.

My icloud account has stopped syncing since I enable 2-factor auth on my Apple ID.. I need to disable that to see if that's really the problem.
  9.    #9  
    You'll need the updated certs pulled down by cert grabber for gmail to work. What messages were displayed? It has been a while, but I know I've posted specifics on adding gmail on 2.1 devices - particularly the Veer.

My icloud account has stopped syncing since I enable 2-factor auth on my Apple ID.. I need to disable that to see if that's really the problem.
    I'll have to try again in a bit and get you specifics. Am I correct that I should not install the open ssl updater at all? Or do I need to install it, knowing it will break some things like Pandora?

Icloud did work for me with two factor authentication enabled on 1.4.5. Just had to create the temporary password on the icloud account and it worked.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
    OpenSSL updater breaks too much on 2.1 to be worth it. I always recommend against it whenever it comes up.
    Yeah best bet for 2.1 is cert grabber and c+dav for contacts and calendar. You can install openssl which will fix Google synergy (with a few other steps) but it breaks too much. Mostly web interfaces.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  12.    #12  
    Yeah, I'll stay clear of using the ssl updater. Well, cert grabber downloaded updated certs! I don't know if I hadn't restarted or what. I thought I had. Anyway, gmail is working. Now on to my MSN account. With that one I'm getting "Requested encryption not supported by server" with trying it as imap. After that I'll try and tackle icloud. I hope I can get those two working as they are my main accounts that I use, heh.

edit: I'm posting too quickly without trying things. Went to outlook.com to log in and trusted the cert. MSN mail now working. I'll post later if I can't get icloud to work.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Revpock; 10/08/2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Glad to hear you're making progress. It's weird how sometimes the updated globalsign cert works for hotmail/outlook, and some have to trust the cert manually in the browser for it to work. I just added it as an Exchange account to this Pre+ on 2.1 with no issues.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/08/2017 at 03:26 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Glad to hear you're making progress. It's weird how sometimes the updated globalsign cert works for hotmail/outlook, and some have to trust the cert manually in the browser for it to work. I just added it as an Exchange account to this Pre+ on 2.1 with no issues.
    Thanks! Had to leave the house and couldn't get icloud to work in the same manner. Icloud won't allow logging in via the webos browser. Not being experienced with this, could I export the cert for icloud on the computer and manually import it on the phone? If so, I guess that's the next step...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You're getting the same error on your icloud account?

Edit: It took me a couple tries, but I finally was able to sign back in to my icloud email account using an app password on my Pre3. For whatever reason the first one failed, and of course, it won't show them to you again (what's the use again? 2FA just hardly seems worth it to me..) On the Pre+ I got the same encryption not supported error. Might just need to add icloud to Cert Grabber.. I will see if I can change the script to add the icloud servers and see if it works. I'll report back shortly.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/08/2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Revpock likes this.
  16.    #16  
    You're getting the same error on your icloud account?

Edit: It took me a couple tries, but I finally was able to sign in to my icloud email account on my Pre3. On the Pre+ I got the same encryption not supported error. Might just need to add icloud to Cert Grabber.. I will see if I can change the script to add the icloud servers and see if it works. I'll report back shortly.
    Holy smokes you are my hero, even just for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Revpock View Post
    Holy smokes you are my hero, even just for trying!

Haha, thanks. To be honest, the only reason I even created an icloud email account was for testing on webOS for people that use them. That said, it worked. Adding the icloud server to the cert grabber script and manually adding the certificate to the certificate manager allowed me to add icloud as a generic imap account on my Pre+. (Note, icloud only uses a single cert for both imap and smtp, so the code will be slightly different than for gmail and yahoo). I'll publish a new version of the app when I can. In the meantime, I've attached a zip with the icloud cert, and the script with the icloud cert added to it if you want to run that from your Pre+.

If you want to have cert grabber at least download it for you, just use webOS Quick Install to push the .sh file to:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/com.grabber.basiccertgrabber.service/scripts.

That is how I ran it. Then you just open the certificate manager from device info and add it from there (note when manually trusting certs, you have to remove the old one (if it's there) before you add the new one. Cert Grabber does this for you. Well, for the ones it supports .)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/08/2017 at 06:09 PM.
    Shuswap and Revpock like this.
  18.    #18  
    Haha, thanks. To be honest, the only reason I even created an icloud email account was for testing on webOS for people that use them. That said, it worked. Adding the icloud server to the cert grabber script and manually adding the certificate to the certificate manager allowed me to add icloud as a generic imap account on my Pre+. (Note, icloud only uses a single cert for both imap and smtp, so the code will be slightly different than for gmail and yahoo). I'll publish a new version of the app when I can. In the meantime, I've attached a zip with the icloud cert, and the script with the icloud cert added to it if you want to run that from your Pre+.

If you want to have cert grabber at least download it for you, just use webOS Quick Install to push the .sh file to:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/com.grabber.basiccertgrabber.service/scripts.

That is how I ran it. Then you just open the certificate manager from device info and add it from there (note when manually trusting certs, you have to remove the old one (if it's there) before you add the new one. Cert Grabber does this for you. Well, for the ones it supports .)
    Wow that's outstanding! Thank you so much! I'll have to tackle this in just a bit. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
    I just uploaded the new version of Cert Grabber and updated the app info on pivotce. I'll send a note to let them know so Preware feed gets updated. If anyone can't wait: http://www.fordmaverick.com/GrabberS..._0.5.8_all.ipk
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/09/2017 at 01:02 AM.
    Revpock, Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    Thanks for the thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast