Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By xandros9
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I really want to apologize for the following, but I seriously couldn't figure that one out.
    My question is:

What are my options for a Palm Pre Plus to use it again?

The device is resting in my desk for about three years by now, and I want to put it to good use.
    I just don't know which operating systems would run and how to get started.

Any link to any tutorial which is not too outdated will be fine, I swear!

Kind regards and many apologies!
    No need to apologise! Welcome to the forums.
    The Pre & Pixi in 2014 | pivotCE
    Your Pre plus will run webOS 1.4.5, but can be unofficially updated to webOS 2.2.4 2.1...
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    The advantage is that many updates & fixes target the later version, so you will get more functionality. You will need to roll your sleeves up as legacy webOS has only had unofficial support for some years.

Tip: How to bypass activation | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (back) to webOS in 2014, part 1 | pivotCE

Take a look at the service pack link in my signature.

Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/20/2016 at 01:03 AM.
    I think 2.1 is the newest version that has a meta-doctor for the Plus. It runs very well on it.
    I guess we need to clarify if 2.1 can then be advanced to 2.2.4 or if it is at least possible as I think (from your own comments) that 2.1 has some limitations fix-wise compared to 2.2.4. I mean, if a doctor can be made for one version, why not the other? As the plus has more memory, I suppose that could be a factor, though I think the non-delivery of v2 to early phones was a company resource issue rather than a technical one.

Anyhow, 2.1 is still a better bet than 1.4.5.
    With webOS2.1 you are good to go to run PalmOS app, am I right? So you can download, and I mean right now, your prefered version of bejewed, mobi-pocket reader and Hellfire, from Astraware <link removed by moderator>.

BTW, I am new here, hi everybody! I love the PalmOS, but it is really hard to find a good group about, so i hope you guys don`t mind if I start playing arround...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/20/2016 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by emcampos-br View Post
    With webOS2.1 you are good to go to run PalmOS app, am I right? So you can download, and I mean right now, your prefered version of bejewed, mobi-pocket reader and Hellfire, from Astraware <link removed by moderator>.

BTW, I am new here, hi everybody! I love the PalmOS, but it is really hard to find a good group about, so i hope you guys don`t mind if I start playing arround...
    Welcome to the webOS Nation forums!
    Remember that webOS and PalmOS are two separate operating systems. Palm replaced PalmOS with webOS in 2009. You cannot run PalmOS apps on the newer OS without running Classic (which I believe is long gone). But someone can correct me if I'm incorrect - it's been a while.
    Thanks for the update, I never met the webOS, once it was never released in Brazil, but I read on wikipedia that it was possible to run PalmOS at WebOS 2.1 or newer! I was not aware that there was an app for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Welcome to the webOS Nation forums!
    Remember that webOS and PalmOS are two separate operating systems. Palm replaced PalmOS with webOS in 2009. You cannot run PalmOS apps on the newer OS without running Classic (which I believe is long gone). But someone can correct me if I'm incorrect - it's been a while.
    Starting in webOS 2.0, the bits that the Classic Palm OS Emulator relied upon have been removed.

However, it is possible to add them back and install Classic if you have the right resources, connections or even good Google-fu skills. I got Classic up on my Pre 2 just recently, but I haven't done too much with it.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive