Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    My Palm Pre 2, despite many valiant efforts is dead... my question now is, how much of a jump would it be to a Veer? I know I could get the 4g, which would keep ATT from shutting me down at the end of the year and a better camera... but, wouid it work with the touchstone (of which I now have 5? Do the PreWare apps work on that phone? Do I have to start over on my application collection of novacomm drivers and webos doctors, and all that stuff?

Or will it be more like going from my Vista PC to the Windows 7 pc? (which is what I am honestly hoping, nothing really new, just the old stuff better).

Thanks for any input anyone has!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinoberhaus View Post
    My Palm Pre 2, despite many valiant efforts is dead... my question now is, how much of a jump would it be to a Veer? I know I could get the 4g, which would keep ATT from shutting me down at the end of the year and a better camera... but, wouid it work with the touchstone (of which I now have 5? Do the PreWare apps work on that phone? Do I have to start over on my application collection of novacomm drivers and webos doctors, and all that stuff?

Or will it be more like going from my Vista PC to the Windows 7 pc? (which is what I am honestly hoping, nothing really new, just the old stuff better).

Thanks for any input anyone has!!
    Preware works, you'd need a new Doctor since that's device specific. Apps should work in general. It's a nice and small device. I've used it for 4 years, recently switched to a Pre 3 due to my Veer falling face down and I didn't have time to setup a new one yet. The Pre 3 I had laying around as a spare. I like the Veer more myself, so I'll be soon setting one up again. TouchStone works fine too.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Isn't it just 2G that ATT is shutting down?
    I'm on Sprint, but your post caused me to panic and I poked around, but couldn't find a Sprint 3G sunset date thankfully!
    xandros9 likes this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    If you are fine with a smaller phone Veer is a good choice. I had one at home and it is just so convenient to carry it around. If you need a bigger and better one you could always get a Pre3.

Everything is still working as of now, just need some extra steps to get it working. If you need help you can refer to
    WebOS Archives - WebWorx Gadgets
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate the input... I might be moving to a Veer... yes, ATT is deprecating support for 2G, I am worried since my 3G palm pre their tech support tells me registers as 2g. sigh....
    You can select network type in the phone preferences: 2G, 3G, Auto. It's possible your phone is only making 2G requests, so worth a check, but I guess it could equally be a fault at the network end.
    It could be ATT support doesn't know what they're talking about. It's most definitely a 3G phone. If you have another backup, you might just wait it out and see what happens.
    Check the thread on pros and cons of 2.1.2 and 2.2.4 for the Veer. Between a Pre 2 and a Veer? I had both of them and kept switching because I could not decide which one is better. Pre 2 for the bigger screen and more available apps. Not all apps work on the Veer due to the screen size, built quality on the Veer is better than on Pre 2.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    I have both devices in service. My primary is the Pre2. I use the Veer as a novelty on weekend nights mostly. It's a great conversation piece because it's so tiny.

But i haven't been able to convert fully because the Veer has limitations. It was designed to be a partner device with the HP tablet. So there's shortcomings where HP left certain things out to save size, expecting you to use the Touchpad.

So, no swappable battery. It's replaceable with surgery only.No camera FLASH, so no LED flashlight. No audio jack. Finally, NO USB PORT.

It has a unique charging cable and a couple magnetic dongle pieces for charging or connecting a pair of headphones. You'll need those.

And of course the smaller screen. The plan was to use Touch To Share, tap the phone to the tablet, and browse on the big screen. With BT pairing, your phone would relay everything to the tablet. It's sinful HP did not capitalize on this great design. Leave the phone in your pocket and work on the tab. All phone calls and messages are shared to the bigger device.

The H+ service should be good to go. I've not heard of ATT dumping it yet. But as last resort you could switch to T-Mo and use their H+. My Veer on T-Mo and works great except no MMS (pic msg, group msg)

Of course, the tiny phone has smaller processor, less RAM, less storage. So a little slower than a Pre2. Most apps are available for it through Preware, but some don't work because of the smaller screen size.

I tried leaving it at v2.12 but something required the upgrade and I'm happy with 2.24 on it. I think maybe Skype needs it. Or the TTS.

You will definitely want maximum Touchstone placement. Because there's no USB port, you have to carry its special cable and dongle, or have TS hidden everywhere, home, work, car, mom's house, etc. I have a TS on each bedpost.

Good luck with your migration. It's a fun device!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!