Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone.

I have always been a huge fan of PalmOS and when they moved onto WebOS devices I fell off the Palm train, so to speak. I was always curious of those little pebble-like phones people owned and wanted one for a while after I went to android after my time on WinMo.

Basically, what are the things I should expect going in this? I've read so far that you need to manually authenticate the service and whatnot and the process seems a little archaic. I am used to playing around in android rooting and installing many ROMs and whatnot and messing with kernel settings but basically I feel a bit lost looking at the steps in some guides.

Like, one guide states it needs to have impotash, but that isn't avaiable on 1.x devices which the device I purchased runs. Also, will I be able to do basic things like browse the internet on a basic brower, send text messages, and make good quality phone calls. Will I be able to do much else besides that now that I've missed the shutdown date of the store? I have a pebble watch, how will I be able to use it, if at all? I would like to use spotify, is this possible?

I'm extremely excited to join the ranks of WebOS users and plan to use my device till death do us part. I miss the days of simpler devices and using the Moto X 2014 right now and seeing the new lineup of phones being locked up by at&t, I can't wait till my device arrives.
    According to the changelog, impostah has features for 1.4.5 enabled, which would suggest it DOES support your device.
    Impostah - Preware Catalog (these pages list the apps currently available outside the now closed app catalogue)
    It is also possible to upgrade it to webOS 2+, but that will a bit more complex.
    I don't have any webOS 1x devices, so hopefully people with more experience will comment.

The usual links you may have already read:
    https://pivotce.com/2014/06/06/the-pre-pixi-in-2014/

https://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide...n-2014-part-1/
    https://pivotce.com/2014/11/02/guide...n-2014-part-2/

There's plenty of information in this forum if you search for it. It may be best to use the site search function of an external search engine as the search tools here are not the best.

Strange to see a few people showing up to get into webOS a few days after the shutdown - unless there's a sudden glut of cheap devices for sale!
    There are a few things Impostah doesn't support on 1.x, with regard to logging in to a profile, but that's not possible on any webOS device now, so it isn't really important here. I will say, webOS 2.1 runs really well on a Pre+, and with mild overclocking even more so, so I highly recommend using the meta-doctor to do that at some point, to gain all of the benefits from webOS 2.x like autocorrect and expanded just type.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/21/2015 at 12:23 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Oh thanks everyone for the replies!! I definitely want to get on 2.x it seems like a fun thing to do. I see there's a Spotify app too. Hopefully it all still works. Anyone use a Pebble watch with the webos?

I can't wait to get it! Seller hasn't shipped it yet though

Like I said I always wanted a small Palm device and it isn't so much that it's linked to webos going offline and the phones becoming cheaper, but the fact that I wanted a change. Like I had said PalmOS was my favorite but everyone seems to like webos so I was totally interested in what the hype was about.

Is the Palm Pre Plus a decent device in terms of battery life? I haven't found much info on that yet!
    Since impostah mostly did things related to the now defunct palm profile, It really is of little if any use anyway. Bypass first use using devicetool.jar and install preware, and go from there, that's how all webos devices have to be used now that the cloud services are gone.
    On webOS 2.x, I find it quite useful to poke around the databases. But yeah, for the average user, not that useful.
  7.    #8  
    I really appreciate everyone's input so far!

I'm a smidgen confused. I have an active sim card, so if I pop in my att sim card into this device do I still have to bypass activation?

Also, I would like to use some 2.x applications and the doctor instructions said that if your device still reads as 1x, which apparently according to the guide the att one does, the original store did not allow one to download 2x apps even after the doctor. will I be able to download it off the homebrew store?
    Yes, you will. The activation we are talking about bypassing is not carrier activation, it's Palm/HP Profile activation.

Spotify works if you have a Premium account, but if not it's pretty useless. It won't let you shuffle playlists if you are not Premium. Now that the official catalog has been shut down, obtaining Spotify will be a little harder.

Getting 2.x on your device will take a bit more work. It requires running a script to create a special doctor, called a meta-doctor. It is dependent on being able to download several official doctors from HP's website, which lost it's DNS and may now be down finally as well. They can be obtained via archive.org, but it's several big downloads and apparently using too much bandwidth can get things removed. I'm told donations help.

The homebrew catalog's version-checking for apps isn't quite strict as the official catalog's was, but there is some - especially for patches, which modify the OS files. But, 2.x apps will not run on 1.x, or they're not truly 2.x apps.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/22/2015 at 02:48 PM.
    PrePixiLove likes this.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yes, you will. The activation we are talking about bypassing is not carrier activation, it's Palm/HP Profile activation.

Spotify works if you have a Premium account, but if not it's pretty useless. It won't let you shuffle playlists if you are not Premium. Now that the official catalog has been shut down, obtaining Spotify will be a little harder.

Getting 2.x on your device will take a bit more work. It requires running a script to create a special doctor, called a meta-doctor. It is dependent on being able to download several official doctors from HP's website, which lost it's DNS and may now be down finally as well. They can be obtained via archive.org, but it's several big downloads and apparently using too much bandwidth can get things removed. I'm told donations help.

The homebrew catalog's version-checking for apps isn't quite strict as the official catalog's was, but there is some - especially for patches, which modify the OS files. But, 2.x apps will not run on 1.x, or they're mot truly 2.x apps.
    Ahhh!! I hope the repositories are still available! I need to get on my old Linux box and do this

And I see that's understandable. I have Spotify premium so that won't be an issue but I'm hoping my Pebble watch will get that MWatch app that's available
    Even if the original hosts are gone, the files have been downloaded by many folks and can be obtained.
    This is a lot of hassle. Just PM me for the doctor for 2.1.0 for ATT Pre+. Bypassing is as easy as the #*DEVMODE# thing and you can get setup for data and wifi on your own after that. Piece of cake. Building your own Dr is cool but not really necessary unless you want to build in certain things.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I had problems inputting my login details to the Spotify app - it would continuously present the login page faster than I could enter the details. Somehow I managed it - maybe with fast copying & pasting and it was fine after that. I got the same problem on the Pre3 and gave up. It will also play music files on the device.
    With all the official apps gone, are all these apps still backed up and available via the homebrew source?
  14.    #15  
    Hey everyone thanks so far... I just got my phone and I can't seem to activate devmode.. I use #*DEVMODE# but it says network failure
    You need to doctor to webOS 2 first before that code works.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
  16.    #17  
    Oh okay! I'll try that!

Okay I got it all set up... I may ask more questions later but right now i'm very hyped!!! i'M IN THE CLUB NOW!
    Last edited by minmo; 04/25/2015 at 01:22 PM.
    Grabber5.0 and PrePixiLove like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by minmo View Post
    Oh okay! I'll try that!

Okay I got it all set up... I may ask more questions later but right now i'm very hyped!!! i'M IN THE CLUB NOW!
    Welcome aboard! Have you learned the secret handshake?
  18.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Welcome aboard! Have you learned the secret handshake?
    No I haven't yet!! Wah!

I am very sad that I didn't bring my sim card swapper with me so I can start using it as a full phone. I'm tempted to ask ATT to give me a sim card change. This is so exciting! I did everything in the steps (doctored to 2x) except choosing a different kernel governor because I'm not really comfortable with what speed it should be set at for the pre+

Now i'm just worried about battery life! Also.. trying to find the elusive Spotify app....
    Install Preware, get uberkernel, get govnah and restart. On reboot open govnah and select Profile and choose screenstate 500/1000 or whatever it's called. Should give you quite a boost.
    Follow me on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast