Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kristin Oberhaus
  1.    #1  
    I have a Palm Pre 2... have had it less than a year, but wouldn't trade it for the world.

But I have a problem...
    1... I need to back it up - contacts and messages
    2... I would like to install the patch that might fix the google calendar
    3... I would like to change that picture on the time in exhibition mode
    4... Maybe install Internalz Pro so that I can move around files with the PC

First problem... when I go to developer mode, I never get a restart/reset screen. Am I doing something wrong? It tells me I am in developer mode, but I have never seen any instructions that don't include the reset/restart thing so it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong there.

Secondly, I can't get past the message on the WebOS Quick install saying no device installed. Java is updated, no USB hub, phone is on just charge, updated the NovaComm drivers.... could it be whatever is not giving me the restart/reset button is causing this problem?

Please help and in simple terms... I really a lot of these responses and I have no idea how to do what they talk about (doctor mode, recovery mode, etc.... ) I turn the phone on and I have never seen any options.
    For starters see this thread for changing the exhibition mode image : Exhibition Mode: background image on Time App

Its basically the same procedure as changing app icons, you find the file, rename your file (image) to be the same as the one you want to change and save. This can be done on the phone with internalz pro : http://www.webosnation.com/how-to-customize-app-icons
    Last edited by laingman; 03/29/2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Oberhaus View Post
    I have a Palm Pre 2... have had it less than a year, but wouldn't trade it for the world.

But I have a problem...
    1... I need to back it up - contacts and messages
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015
    2... I would like to install the patch that might fix the google calendar
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Use CalDAV to maintain Google Calendar sync | pivotCE
    3... I would like to change that picture on the time in exhibition mode
    I'm not sure how to do this, but the picture must be in the filesystem somewhere and therefore can be swapped with something else. It is also possible to patch the clock app to work in exhibition mode. It has more options than the stock, 'Time'. EDIT: I see Laingman's post has appeared above mine and he has the answer!
    4... Maybe install Internalz Pro so that I can move around files with the PC

First problem... when I go to developer mode, I never get a restart/reset screen. Am I doing something wrong? It tells me I am in developer mode, but I have never seen any instructions that don't include the reset/restart thing so it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong there.

Secondly, I can't get past the message on the WebOS Quick install saying no device installed. Java is updated, no USB hub, phone is on just charge, updated the NovaComm drivers.... could it be whatever is not giving me the restart/reset button is causing this problem?

Please help and in simple terms... I really a lot of these responses and I have no idea how to do what they talk about (doctor mode, recovery mode, etc.... ) I turn the phone on and I have never seen any options.
    So... everything you want is fairly easy to do... if you can connect in developer mode!

Firstly, you do not need to restart after setting developer mode - if you are it may be that the phone is booting in 'normal' mode. If you still have a problem, check your USB cable. I have an old one which will charge, but is unreliable for data transfer - you might have a similar problem. Also ensure both your java WOSQI versions are up to date.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/30/2015 at 07:02 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    For starters see this thread for changing the exhibition mode image : Exhibition Mode: background image on Time App

Its basically the same procedure as changing app icons, you find the file, rename your file (image) to be the same as the one you want to change and save. This can be done on the phone with internalz pro : How-to: Customize app icons | webOS Nation
    Thanks... I guess I should have included I have all the information on things I want to do, but they all start with a WebOS Quick Install.... so , they are all pretty useless until I get that working. I really need help on that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Use CalDAV to maintain Google Calendar sync | pivotCE

I'm not sure how to do this, but the picture must be in the filesystem somewhere and therefore can be swapped with something else. It is also possible to patch the clock app to work in exhibition mode. It has more options than the stock, 'Time'.

So... everything you want is fairly easy to do... if you can connect in developer mode!

Firstly, you do not need to restart after setting developer mode - if you are it may be that the phone is booting in 'normal' mode. If you still have a problem, check your USB cable. I have an old one which will charge, but is unreliable for data transfer - you might have a similar problem. Also ensure both your java WOSQI versions are up to date.
    Thanks for the confirmation I don't have to restart.

I have use the same USB cord that I used to just use the phone as a USB drive, and switched it several times.... Java is updated, I just downloaded Quick Install yesterday again (4.6 - also tried older versions).

Still no luck.... beginning to think I am not allowed to back up my own phone.
    So you can confirm that you are able to transfer data in USB mode without problems? This should prove the cable is fairly reliable. (and for the sake of clarity - you should NOT be in USB mode for connecting with devmode / WOSQI)

Apparently a powered USB port is required - if your phone does actually charge when you select 'Just charge', then I think we can assume the port you are using is powered.

Are you running any firewall software on your computer that might prevent connection? What type of PC operating system are you using? Windows? Mac? Linux?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/30/2015 at 07:35 AM.
    So you are doing the:

GSM: Dial #*DEVMODE#
    or
    CDMA: Dial ##DEVMODE#

(Do not enter a password!).

There is also an 'UNhide Dev Mode Icon' Patch that may be a useful back-reference?

..And maybe a reboot on the PC would help too?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Try turning devmode toggle off, reboot, then turn back on?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the input... and I am basically replying to everyone at once

I am using Windows 7 64 bit home Premium
    The USB port and cable allows me to transfer data and charge, so I don't think it is that
    I can get the phone to tell me it is in Dev mode and get it out of dev mode, it just never asks me to reboot
    I do select Just charge, and I have tried it in USB mode as well, just in case someone wrote it wrong, doesn't work either way
    I do have the firewall on, so that will be what I try tonight..... I will post if that works.

Like I said, I have the information for the other stuff... the only reason I included it is in case someone knows of a way to do any of that which does NOT require the WebOS Quick install to work, that would be awesome, but I have spent more than a few hours tracking this down.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Kristin Oberhaus; 04/19/2015 at 10:04 AM.
    In Windows, goto the services, and check whether the nova service is installed and running.

Sometimes wosqi will not be able to reach the device, and not offer to install the nova com drivers. This would indicate they are installed but not running.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Btw, turning devmode on or off, does not ask for a reset.

Only upon first turning it on, and setting the password, or when changing the password, you would need to reboot

Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    In Windows, goto the services, and check whether the nova service is installed and running.
    ~ May be listed there as 'Palm Novacom ~ Driver'.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.

I hope that my answers above can help with these two.

First question, probably mute.

Second question, indeed if Novacomm is installed and wosqi does not see a device, for me this happens mostly when the service is stopped somehow

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    I hope that my answers above can help with these two.

First question, probably mute.

Second question, indeed if Novacomm is installed and wosqi does not see a device, for me this happens mostly when the service is stopped somehow

Great call... the service is stopped... however, when I try to start it (I am the administrator on the machine) it tells me Access is Denied....
    For what it is worth, WOSQI would not recognize my Veer until "Palm Novacom Bootie" finally installed successfully on my Win 7 64 bit machine.

Even though Novacom installed properly, it wasn't until I plugged my Veer in while doctoring that I was able to see it in WOSQI.

Try plugging your phone into a rear usb port while in recovery mode and see if new drivers get installed.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  16.    #16  
    Finally got WebQuick install working....
    Now I have a whole host of other questions... but starting a new thread
  17.    #17  
    Finally got WebQuick install working....
    Now I have a whole host of other questions... but starting a new thread
    You have got to be kidding me.... so I got Web OS install working.yesterday.... I also, since I was in "phone mode" decided to install Nokia Ovi Suite again, since that was my old phone and I have information there....

Now, when I launch WebOS Quick install, it launches the Nokia Suite.... will someone please explain to me why this phone hates me so much!!!!!!
    Mutoidi likes this.
    These all sound like computer problems. These programs are running on the computer. Is the Nokia suite set to launch when a phone is attached? Can this be switched of in preferences? I doubt it's a coincidence that both these programs connect to telephones. Possibly this is creating a conflict.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    These all sound like computer problems. These programs are running on the computer. Is the Nokia suite set to launch when a phone is attached? Can this be switched of in preferences? I doubt it's a coincidence that both these programs connect to telephones. Possibly this is creating a conflict.
    Yes... they are all computer issues....

I talked to several other people who had Nokia suite installed, sent them the WebOS Quick install and they get the same results, so those two applications cannot live together on the same computer. But, now that I finally got what I needed, I just won't be using the Quick Install again anytime soon, since I can get to the file structures with Internalz Pro now.

Just a piece of advice... the WebOS Quick Install would have been much smoother if the initial instructions had NOT included the restart of the device after turning on developer mode. My phone never did that and since it was never listed as "optional" that was where I was always looking for the problem of it not working, not at the computer.