1.    #1  
    Today I purchased a Palm Pre (I believe it's the original model; it has 8GB of internal storage) at Value Village for $4. It still had all of the other user's data and documents on it, so I just did a complete erase.

Now, it wants to activate, but I can't do that. Because it's not activated on the carrier, that seems to prevent it. But, here's the problem: I don't want to use the phone on cellular networks. I essentially want to use it as an MP3 player that has Bluetooth so I can use it in my car.

It's a really neat looking phone, and even though I use an iPhone, I'd like to put this Palm Pre to use by using it for playing music. I'd use my iPhone for that, but having all my music takes up too much storage. Is there anything I can do to get this phone functional without having to use a SIM card in it, or activate it on a carrier? Again, I do not want to use cellular service on it, so I don't want it to be able to make or receive calls or text messages. WiFi only.
    Firstly, you need to understand (if you don't already know) that official webOS development was ceased by HP in 2011 and the App Catalogue is already closed to purchases and will soon close to downloads and Palm Profile remote services on the 15th of March. It is still possible to set up your phone with a profile and mobile service if you wish, but what you are requesting is Bypassing Activation. You can search for threads on that in the search box above. Here is a recent example: Bypass-Activation download??? link broken

If you want mobile service, this might be useful: Unlocking
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

Note also the app gallery link at the top of this page. You can side load apps from a computer with a program and install a homebrew app catalogue. You will also likely want to apply fixes to the system to maintain functionality.

Start here:
    The Pre & Pixi in 2014 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2 | pivotCE

Generally, you might want to read the last 6 months of pivotCE (it's not a huge amount! )

Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE
    Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

webOS technical info: http://www.webOS-Internals.org

The links below may also be of interest.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Firstly, you need to understand (if you don't already know) that official webOS development was ceased by HP in 2011 and the App Catalogue is already closed to purchases and will soon close to downloads and Palm Profile remote services on the 15th of March. It is still possible to set up your phone with a profile and mobile service if you wish, but what you are requesting is Bypassing Activation. You can search for threads on that in the search box above. Here is a recent example: Bypass-Activation download??? link broken

If you want mobile service, this might be useful: Unlocking
    Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

Note also the app gallery link at the top of this page. You can side load apps from a computer with a program and install a homebrew app catalogue. You will also likely want to apply fixes to the system to maintain functionality.

Start here:
    The Pre & Pixi in 2014 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE
    Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 2 | pivotCE

Generally, you might want to read the last 6 months of pivotCE (it's not a huge amount! )

Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 1: nodeleteipk patch | pivotCE
    Guide: Saving Apps From The App Catalog Part 2: HP Takeout | pivotCE
    Script to save all your app IPKs in one step

webOS technical info: Main Page - WebOS Internals

The links below may also be of interest.
    Thanks for the comprehensive response. I downloaded the devicetool.jar to my computer and I attempted to run it as instructed by the Bypass Activation instructions for WebOS 1.x but it will not run. I am running Command Prompt as an administrator and whenever I attempt to run the Java command it always comes up with the "Error: Permission Denied: Connect" error which I don't understand. I have the phone booted into developer's mode and connected to the computer.

I also tried the instructions for WebOS 2.x, particularly the CDMA instructions (as this is a CDMA phone) but that doesn't work either. I try typing the ##DEVMODE# command, but as soon as I press the final "#" the dial pad disappears and nothing happens, and I am returned to the screen that asks for a Palm Profile.

EDIT: I downloaded the Novacom drivers and installed them. I then ran the command in Command Prompt and it worked. The phone is just rebooting. I'll return with the results.

EDIT 2: It worked, and now I'm in the phone. Now, according to instruction, I just need to activate it, but the instructions are not clear. I'm not sure what the instructions are referring to when they refer to a "feeds" button on the bottom right hand side.

EDIT 3: I just realized that it was referring to the WebOS Quick Install program. The program isn't showing the Activation Bypassed application in search results, so I have to manually search for it on the Internet.
    Last edited by Richie Goldsworthy; 02/13/2015 at 12:26 AM.
    What you are looking for is a patch (I believe it's called enable profile creation for activation-bypassed device or similar). Find the patches tab along the top and click it, then do the search there. Alternatively, you can first install the Preware app from the apps tab, and do everything from there. You can start typing on the main app screen. Edit: here's a screen shot from Preware showing the full name of the patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/13/2015 at 12:00 PM.