1.    #1  
    I'm having a problem with the palm pre keyboard when I move the slider up it doesn't light up or text anything I type but when I move the slider down the text will show up sometimes. I saw on google about a virtual keyboard it looks like you need the USB port, my USB port is broken so I can't do that.

Any suggestions?
    I think there was a VKB made for first gen phones. I'd imagine you could install it with Preware - assuming you already have it installed.

Are you saying that you can type, nothing happens, then you close the keyboard and the text appears? Odd... unless it's a keyboard buffer issue?

A common complaint here is that the ribbon cable connecting the two halves can get worn by the sliding action. You could try replacing it, but with the USB connector and the age of your device, perhaps it's time to consider an upgrade: Pre2, Pre3 or Veer.
    If he's still on sprint he can't just upgrade to those particular models.

If he hasn't already put Preware on he can't add the virtual keyboard very easily.

You could look into if anyone had had success pairing the Bluetooth keyboard??? Idk.

Honestly I'd recommend pulling the sprint com board our of that phone with all the issues, and moving it to a Verizon Pre2 for a full Franken conversion, if you must stay with sprint. But it's not easy.

Time for a big decision to be made.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think there was a VKB made for first gen phones. I'd imagine you could install it with Preware - assuming you already have it installed.

Are you saying that you can type, nothing happens, then you close the keyboard and the text appears? Odd... unless it's a keyboard buffer issue?

A common complaint here is that the ribbon cable connecting the two halves can get worn by the sliding action. You could try replacing it, but with the USB connector and the age of your device, perhaps it's time to consider an upgrade: Pre2, Pre3 or Veer.
    I don't have preware installed
    I suppose there must be a way to download files... I'm trying to remember what (have to be free now) file manager you can get from the app catalogue. https://appcat.tk/?q=File+manager
    You could could use it to place the files in the system then you'd have Preware... (Anyone have any suggestions?)

If you can fix your USB connector, life get's easier. If you are so attached to this phone that you'd like to repair it, then it's clear those repairs are needed. Again, a Pre2 will be very good value for money now. If you decide to get a replacement, buying before March 15th willl allow you to log in to your existing profile and back up your apps before the shutdown.
  6.    #6  
    I suppose there must be a way to download files... I'm trying to remember what (have to be free now) file manager you can get from the app catalogue. https://appcat.tk/?q=File+manager
    You could could use it to place the files in the system then you'd have Preware... (Anyone have any suggestions?)

If you can fix your USB connector, life get's easier. If you are so attached to this phone that you'd like to repair it, then it's clear those repairs are needed. Again, a Pre2 will be very good value for money now. If you decide to get a replacement, buying before March 15th willl allow you to log in to your existing profile and back up your apps before the shutdown.
    When my USB port went bad I took it to Sprint, sprint didn't want to fix instead they wanted me to buy a different phone for $100
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmSprint View Post
    When my USB port went bad I took it to Sprint, sprint didn't want to fix instead they wanted me to buy a different phone for $100
    Perhaps a computer repair shop would consider this job?

Or send it to Germany
    Device Repair Service in Germany

Or do it yourself.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Palm_Pre

Or buy a replacement:
    Palm Pre2 | eBay

Maybe this too?
    Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS Internals

Unfortunately things break and that will cost you money, effort or maybe both.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I guess I'll get an android until LG releases a webos phone
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I guess I'll get an android until LG releases a webos phone
    LG released a webOS phone in 2012
    Nexus 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...they just didn't know it at the time.
  10.    #10  
    LG released a webOS phone in 2012
    Nexus 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...they just didn't know it at the time.
    I don't see it
    I don't see it
    This is sort of an inside joke.
    The nexus 4 is the phone the LuneOS developers chose to work with as their platform. Someday they may complete their work, and you would be able to put LuneOS on a Nexus4, basically having the closest thing possible to a new webOS device.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    This is sort of an inside joke.
    The nexus 4 is the phone the LuneOS developers chose to work with as their platform. Someday they may complete their work, and you would be able to put LuneOS on a Nexus4, basically having the closest thing possible to a new webOS device.
    I understand now