Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Interesting problem to say the least. Just got a pre off ebay, I cant stay away from this dang phone..Trying to get it activated on Sprint. Phone boots, shows a connection, shows Sprint in the top left corner, etc. Says to go to sprint to activate.

So I do that, but every time I put the MEID into the box on sprint it says the phone doesn't match their records. I called sprint, the tech I spoke to said it had been activated on another network and I needed to have it reprogrammed to work on sprint again. I thought that was odd since the pre shows everything sprint on the screen. The ebayer claims it has never been on another network too. So I needed to go into a repair shop and see what they could do.

I get into the repair shop, and the lady behind the counter tells me they don't even look at old phones like the pre and blakberry anymore, and that the new upgrades to the network cause phones to not be able to get activated. There is nothing she can do. She wouldn't even look it up, I pretty much insisted and she still wouldn't, basically told me the pre is now too old to be activated, same with blackberrys.

Is this something sprint has to fix on their end or is there something I can do through usb passthrough and QPST? I have that all setup and working, I'm just not sure what I am looking for.

Anyone have any advice besides going to another sprint store or staying on the phone for hours trying to get to someone that cares enough to atleast look into it? She sighed real loud when she saw the phone too, guess Sprint HATES that old phones like the pre are still kicking!
    I don't have much to say, but i like your attitude

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint themselves have an internal policy of some kind, aimed at squeezing out grandfathered Pre- users when their phone breaks. Verizon has a similar policy that's triggered by ever so minor plan changes
    I'm using a 3g Pre modem daily. They can definitely activate a pre on their network today.

You should be able to activate yourself on the website. Have you tried this? You'll need the s/n and meid. Get the meid by dialing ##debug#. That should start with a letter A. Check if the modem had been swapped by comparing that number to what's printed under the battery.

Call sprint on a second phone if you need help activating. They will make you reset the modem in the phone, with either ##786# or with the ##and your msl number. If the numbers they have don't match yours they can change the meid they have paired to your s/n. It's called reprovisioning the phone. You may have to fight to get to second tier customer service for help with this.

Unless they have a new policy to not activate old phones, which i doubt, you should be able to activate it. Then you can deal with the nonsense we are all dealing with this week thanks to Hp.
    Remy X and shicky256 like this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'm using a 3g Pre modem daily. They can definitely activate a pre on their network today.

You should be able to activate yourself on the website. Have you tried this? You'll need the s/n and meid. Get the meid by dialing ##debug#. That should start with a letter A. Check if the modem had been swapped by comparing that number to what's printed under the battery.

Call sprint on a second phone if you need help activating. They will make you reset the modem in the phone, with either ##786# or with the ##and your msl number. If the numbers they have don't match yours they can change the meid they have paired to your s/n. It's called reprovisioning the phone. You may have to fight to get to second tier customer service for help with this.

Unless they have a new policy to not activate old phones, which i doubt, you should be able to activate it. Then you can deal with the nonsense we are all dealing with this week thanks to Hp.
    Yea my problem is the website doesn't see the meid in their system when I enter it. So I need to get a hold of someone in second tier who knows how to re provision? You would think a Sprint repair store would do that, this lady just acted like I was the ***** and she didn't want to do her job.

I will give that a go and report back. Thanks!!
    It sure sounds like it was flashed to another network or a non-Sprint modem was installed.. If you can get to it, I would do what TJ suggested and compare the MEID shown on the device info screen to what's printed under the battery. Are you 100% sure you are not mis-typing the MEID? I haven't swapped phones since Feb, but I've had no issue activating my Pre in the past, other than when swapping back from my iPhone once or twice, I had to chat with someone via the website and have them do the swap for me.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/18/2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Agree with everyone else. It's entirely possible you have the left over parts from a Frankenpreing. (Possibly a VZW board in a Sprint body.) Definitely check the readback meid against the sticker.

Although that wouldn't explain why the one on the sticker isn't in their database, assuming that's what you used...
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Agree with everyone else. It's entirely possible you have the left over parts from a Frankenpreing. (Possibly a VZW board in a Sprint body.) Definitely check the readback meid against the sticker.

Although that wouldn't explain why the one on the sticker isn't in their database, assuming that's what you used...
    Good guess... Somewhere, the seller is probably running around with a Pre(2?) and a Sprint board. I wonder if the MEID on the sticker is already present/active in their system, something they will never tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I don't have much to say, but i like your attitude

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint themselves have an internal policy of some kind, aimed at squeezing out grandfathered Pre- users when their phone breaks. Verizon has a similar policy that's triggered by ever so minor plan changes
    Last time I called Sprint for help with my Pre, the tech support rep told me my solution was to get another phone. He promptly suggested an Android phone to which I replied, no thanks.
  9.    #9  
    It's weird, because the phone sees sprint, and sees bars. MEID reads back the same on the sticker, in the system and on the activation screen. The seller was very very nice about it and gave me my money back and said keep the phone...Kind of odd, maybe they knew something and wanted to wash their hands of it...Who knows, I got another one cheaper with the refund.. hopefully it activates!

I am still pretty angry at the lady at Sprint though, telling me to my face that old phones don't activate and she won't look at it. Like I'm some sort of i diot (bad word apparently on here?). Surprised she didn;t try to upsell the newest Android or iPhone.
    Sounds like a "bad ESN" situation but with an odd "no-fly-list"-type policy, where they don't tell you that the ESN/MEID is blacklisted, they just don't activate it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjacoder View Post
    It's weird, because the phone sees sprint, and sees bars. MEID reads back the same on the sticker, in the system and on the activation screen. The seller was very very nice about it and gave me my money back and said keep the phone...Kind of odd, maybe they knew something and wanted to wash their hands of it...Who knows, I got another one cheaper with the refund.. hopefully it activates!

I am still pretty angry at the lady at Sprint though, telling me to my face that old phones don't activate and she won't look at it. Like I'm some sort of i diot (bad word apparently on here?). Surprised she didn;t try to upsell the newest Android or iPhone.
    That's great news.

And yeah, you never know who you're going to get. Just to throw another horror story, my friend got a replacement T-mobile Galaxy after hers took a bath. Told her, "To swap you just need to put the SIM in the new one. But if you go to the store they have a tool to move your contacts." (She doesn't use *any* cloud stuff, but I know they have a device that can move vCards locally regardless of device.)

She comes back livid: "She said to swap with contacts I'd need a microSD card and a Gmail account! What a load of !" So then she goes to the TMo store at the mall. Comes back, "Yup. At the mall they took both phones and in five minutes everything was moved and fine."

You really never know what genius you'll get stuck with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

I know this is a dated post but had to ask on a similar issue and see if this can still work for me so here goes:
    My issue in short form is I have a FrankenPre 2 that I have used for years on the Sprint Network and I had forgotten it in a business lounge in Frankfurt Germany. So while I was waiting for it to be returned to me here in the USA I was told I can activate a phone temporarily on the sprint network for the same phone #. Well I used an HTC Evo Shift thinking this would be no problem. well this week I got my phone back from Frankfurt and proceeded to Re activate my phone and as soon as the sprint rep did the MEID code it showed SMS messages and I mentioned this to the Sprint rep and she said " its probably just messages that didn't go through from when you had switched to the EVO" .. I said " are you sure its not activated now?? and then she said no because its not been reset yet. So then once she did this code you described here and it came back up , The Franken Pre would not reactivate . When going to the Sprint Store I was told that the activation servers for these phones is no longer active and will not activate.
    Which brings me to this old thread. I Have looked on updated threads but have not found any as of yet on people activating an original Sprint Palm Pre modem to sprint. Is this my final nail in the coffin per say ??? Did I just kill my Franken Pre on the Sprint Network?? Can Activating another Palm Pre Modem on sprint and then just move all my save files I had on the Franken Pre I had for so long??
    Thanks for any answer that may come. And hopefully some promising news!