Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 2 Post By gary_kephart
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    Some time before July 23, 2013, I bought a spare Palm Pre because I thought my phone was dying. I put it on a shelf and forgot about it until this weekend when I decided to switch. Right from the start, it's trying to update the software, and it seems to be failing, probably because of the root certificate issue. I know the normal procedure for an already-setup phone is to change the date back, but that's impossible in this case, as far as I can tell. I even called AT&T to see if they could send a different date/time to my phone, but they can't. It won't go into USB mode so that I could possibly copy files over to it.

How do I get my phone to work, or is it too late?

Thanks,
    Gary
    When you say right from the start, have you created or logged into your Palm profile?

Why are you not able to access the date / time settings app?

There is likely a solution. Can you describe how far you get before you get stuck?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    When you say right from the start, have you created or logged into your Palm profile?

Why are you not able to access the date / time settings app?

There is likely a solution. Can you describe how far you get before you get stuck?
    I transferred the SIM card from the old phone to the new one. I am going to use the same profile.

This is a brand new phone that's just been sitting on the shelf. When I power it on, it immediately goes to the "Update Required" screen where it further says "Before restoring can continue you need to update your phone's software. Afterwards, your data will be restored automatically."
    There's also a "Download Now" button. When I press that, it tries to download the software, but it just keeps on trying without succeeding and without any further messages.

Thanks for any help.
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_kephart View Post
    I transferred the SIM card from the old phone to the new one. I am going to use the same profile.

This is a brand new phone that's just been sitting on the shelf. When I power it on, it immediately goes to the "Update Required" screen where it further says "Before restoring can continue you need to update your phone's software. Afterwards, your data will be restored automatically."
    There's also a "Download Now" button. When I press that, it tries to download the software, but it just keeps on trying without succeeding and without any further messages.

Thanks for any help.
    Gary
    Is it unlocked? Or is it att phone with att sim?

Or, Did you put it in devmode to bypass activation and unlock it? When you moved the sim, did you manually update the apn settings in the phone preferences?
    Sounds like it's trying to update the OS to me. Does it give a version number of the OS it's trying to get? Also, can you provide which Pre you're using and where you are in the world? I'm sure we can point you to a doctor that will force the update. You've come to the right place for help.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Sounds like it's trying to update the OS to me. Does it give a version number of the OS it's trying to get? Also, can you provide which Pre you're using and where you are in the world? I'm sure we can point you to a doctor that will force the update. You've come to the right place for help.
    I figured this place would be my best shot.
    It's an AT&T phone with an AT&T SIM card.
    I'm in Southern California.
    It's the Palm Pre Plus.
    I don't remember seeing any version number being displayed. I've temporarily put the SIM card back in my old phone to have something to use.
    There was no way to update the phone settings as the phone had not gotten to the home page yet.
    I didn't think about putting it in Dev mode. I'll give that a shot.
  7.    #7  
    I just put the SIM card back in the new phone to test this out.
    I verified that there is no version number displayed.
    I tried entering Dev Mode (tried upupdowndown... and webos20090606) on the "Update Required" screen and that did not work.
    I've attached a photo of the page it's stuck at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those devmode codes only work from the home screen.
    You should be able to tap the phone icon in the bottom right and bring up a dialog with two options: emergency call and customer service. Tap emergency call, which should open the dialer. Then you can delete the number with the backspace button on the screen or keyboard, then enter #*devmode# using the dialpad and press dial. The devmode app should then open in a new card and allow you to tap the toggle to turn it on, then restart. Do not enter a devmode password whatever you do!

Edit: I just realized I made a big assumption that this is a webOS 2.x device, which may not be the case. The previous instructions only work on 2.0 and higher. If it is a webOS 1.x device, you'd need the activation bypass tool. But since your goal is to activate anyway, the best thing may be to just doctor the phone and take care of the update. The webosinternals wiki has links to all doctors which is a bit easier than entering your serial # on Palm's site. http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/W...octor_Versions

Just look for your device and carrier to locate the right doctor, and save it to your computer. You will need to restart your phone before you can doctor and put it in recovery mode.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/17/2014 at 08:27 AM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  9.    #9  
    It's a 1.x device.
    I downloaded the Doctor and it looked promising at first. It loaded the Ramdisk and then wrote:

"Loading Ramdisk: Waiting for device to come back"

Alas, according to the Doctor, it never came back. My Palm continued on to the "Update Required" page, though. I eventually got this from the Doctor:

"WARNING: the device seems to have been unplugged, try again"

And so I did, a couple of times.I powered off the phone and let the Doctor find it again, with the same results.
    And you put the phone in recovery mode prior to running the doctor? Which doctor file did you download?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Iirc that's a battery pull, plug into wall while holding volume up, reinsert battery still holding button, then plug into computer, let go when you see big icon? What else, current java...

Then run the appropriate 1.45 doctor for att?
  12.    #12  
    Ah, recovery mode. Didn't know about that.
    THAT helped a lot! Thanks!
    I think I'm well on my way now. I've signed into my profile and am now syncing my accounts.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
    Sometimes i feel like this forum is a large lifeboat.

And we are just floating around in the ocean, occasionally hearing someone in the water who needs a rescue. So we do our best to pull them in. Dozens of victims from when the SS webOS was torpedoed in the Apotheclypse.

(I seem to fall out of the boat a lot, and appreciate being helped back in myself.)

Glad we were able to help you get afloat again!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.