Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By liviu1
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Hello, I just bought two broken palm pre phones. One with the screen and the case broken for 2 euro, and another with the case in good condition, but with the motherboard dead for 6 euro. I managed to put the working motherboard in the phone with the good case, and i got a really nice looking and working palm pre.
    Now there seems to be a problem with the sound. I cannot hear anything, no music no voice calls, nothing. Is that a software problem, or the speaker is dead?
    Another question, what is the latest software version that i can install on this device? in device information i see it has Palm webOS 1.4.5. Can i install a newer one, or it is beter to stick with this one?
    Quite possible speaker is no good. Its possible to install webos 2.1, you can do a search
    Make sure the battery removal tab isn't stuck under the back plate or it will block the speaker contacts.
    or you could have the mute switch on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Make sure the battery removal tab isn't stuck under the back plate or it will block the speaker contacts.
    It is very common to get the battery pull tab stuck between the case when you screw the phone back together.

Loosen the screw s a little and pull it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by liviu1 View Post
    Hello, I just bought two broken palm pre phones. One with the screen and the case broken for 2 euro, and another with the case in good condition, but with the motherboard dead for 6 euro. I managed to put the working motherboard in the phone with the good case, and i got a really nice looking and working palm pre.
    Now there seems to be a problem with the sound. I cannot hear anything, no music no voice calls, nothing. Is that a software problem, or the speaker is dead?
    Another question, what is the latest software version that i can install on this device? in device information i see it has Palm webOS 1.4.5. Can i install a newer one, or it is beter to stick with this one?
    I think there ARE people who have put a 2.x on a Pre but you will have to read those threads for info.
    http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki...edirected=true

Ugh i can't paste the link because aneroid copy paste is such poo, but search 2.x upgrade

I keep mine at 1.45 so it's ready in case i need to put my com board back in it for an emergency modem flash. But that is for Sprint purposes.

You could still put in a board from a pre2 and get more RAM and 2.2.4.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/06/2014 at 09:53 PM.
  7.    #7  
    The battery removal tab is not stuck between the case, i'll open the phone again to check the jack pins
    Test all of your audio out, if possible. Ear, external, headphone wired, and Bluetooth. Phone voice as well as music audio. There is an interactive test in the device info preferences tab also. See if it's not just the one speaker. Good luck!
  9.    #9  
    I fixed the audio. The problem was both the speaker and the 3.5mm jack. I replaced them both.
    Now about the software update, is it better to upgrade to v2.1 or it is better to stick with 1.4.5?
    Is the device slower with v2.1?
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    On a Pre+ 2.1 runs pretty well, but the original Pre had half the RAM, and 2.1 is pretty slow, even when over clocked. I ran it for a while, but finally reverted back to 1.4.5 until I built my Franken Pre2.
    TJs11thPre likes this.