Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeGuelloTx
  1.    #1  
    Hi webOS Nation,

I recently bought a Sprint Palm Pre off of Ebay and wanted to use it over wifi, but when I turned on the device it wants me to make a palm profile to activate the phone, but it won't go through because it won't let me connect to wifi yet and I don't have Sprint service.

Is there any way to set this up over wifi or bypass it altogether (while still being able to use the OS, apps, app catalogue, etc) without having to get Sprint service?

Thank you,
    Robert
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    This may be what you need.

Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation

I had an ATT Pre Plus that is set up as wifi only, so I know it can be done.
    Trying to use my old Palm Pre but no longer have a network. Tried using the link you listed above but couldn't get it to work because the link here no longer works:

*Visit https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html on the webOS Developer Center website

*Under the section "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool", download the activation-bypass tool (direct link here) to your computer

Does anyone know how to download the activation-bypass tool? Anyone have a working link?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danjew View Post
    Trying to use my old Palm Pre but no longer have a network. Tried using the link you listed above but couldn't get it to work because the link here no longer works:

*Visit https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html on the webOS Developer Center website

*Under the section "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool", download the activation-bypass tool (direct link here) to your computer

Does anyone know how to download the activation-bypass tool? Anyone have a working link?
    Danjew,

PrePlus user with exactly the same issue.

I was trying to activate, but encountered a carrier issue. So 3G was not available, and WIFI would work to create new profile, or use old profile.

After a bit of searching, I did locate several links to devicetool.jar. I downloaded and it worked perfectly, enabling new profile creation,

If you still can't find the links, LMK, and I can send them.

DGTX
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $I$ $also$ $always$ $needed$ $to$ $have$ $GSM$ $on$ $to$ $activate$ $my$ $webos$ $devices$ $in$ $the$ $beginning$ - $at$ $least$ $to$ $send$ $out$ $some$ $automated$ $SMS$ $for$ $device$ $activation$. ($I$ $did$ $not$ $like$ $that$ - $but$ $never$ $figured$ $out$ $a$ $way$ $around$ )

Quote Originally Posted by DeGuelloTx View Post
    After a bit of searching, I did locate several links to devicetool.jar. I downloaded and it worked perfectly, enabling new profile creation,
    Can you please add the links to devicetool.jar that helped you?

And is there some TouchPad version of the devicetool.jar available to activate brand new TouchPads with webos 3.0.x? Else I can not figure out a way how to activate brand new TPs without the HP webservices that are going to disappear soon.
    At least I need to activate the TP to enable the developer mode once. Else these TPs are kind of lost devices without HP webservices. (:
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $I$ $also$ $always$ $needed$ $to$ $have$ $GSM$ $on$ $to$ $activate$ $my$ $webos$ $devices$ $in$ $the$ $beginning$ - $at$ $least$ $to$ $send$ $out$ $some$ $automated$ $SMS$ $for$ $device$ $activation$. ($I$ $did$ $not$ $like$ $that$ - $but$ $never$ $figured$ $out$ $a$ $way$ $around$ )

Can you please add the links to devicetool.jar that helped you?

And is there some TouchPad version of the devicetool.jar available to activate brand new TouchPads with webos 3.0.x? Else I can not figure out a way how to activate brand new TPs without the HP webservices that are going to disappear soon.
    At least I need to activate the TP to enable the developer mode once. Else these TPs are kind of lost devices without HP webservices. (:
    devicetool.jar can be modified to add the needed Touchpad image. I did this for the Veer, but hadn't considered adding Touchpad support until it came up recently. It's not terribly hard to do, given instructions and a good zip utility. I believe those instructions are on this forum somewhere. Edit: yep, here they are: Activation Bypass for TouchPad
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    devicetool.jar can be modified to add the needed Touchpad image. I did this for the Veer, but hadn't considered adding Touchpad support until it came up recently. It's not terribly hard to do, given instructions and a good zip utility. I believe those instructions are on this forum somewhere. Edit: yep, here they are: Activation Bypass for TouchPad
    Grabber5.0,

Perhaps it is an issue with my browser, but when I follow the link (toward the TP devicetool),

I get:

You don't have permission to access "http://cdn.downloads.palm.com.edgekey.net/" on this server.

Is this just an issue for me, or is the the result for everyone? (I did try multiple browsers..)

IT was the same issue I had with the PrePlus devicetool link.

Thanks!

DGT
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Actually, the original links work after all, if you can simply update your hosts file as Remy X suggests:

Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    HP has taken the servers offline, but those servers can still be reached by IP address if you add this to your "hosts" file.

Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    63.80.4.201	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org

At first this did not work for me, so I used the Wayback machine (archive.org) to retrieve a snapshot the ORIGINAL link to devicetool.jar.

Using this link
    Hosts file ignored, windows 7 64 bit, firefox - Microsoft Community

I was able to fix my hosts file in Win7 so that the original links now work straight away!!

This is a big advantage, because it also makes other links on the same servers available, without having to locate them individually in Wayback.

The issues to overcome for me in Win7, were:
    1. Enable permission to update the hosts file (not enabled by default for UAC)
    c:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc (need admin rights)
    2. Apply the correct entries via Notepad, but be certain to save as hosts. instead of hosts.txt (default)
    3. Clear browser cache -- then close browser
    4. from CMD prompt (windows Start button--> Accessories --> Run --> CMD)
    a. ipconfig /Flushdns
    b. ipconfig /renew
    c. ping downloads.help.palm.com

(each of the target addresses, actually) to confirm the hosts update is working correctly.
    5. Restart browser --FireFox / IE, etc.)
    6. http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow...devicetool.jar Then save as to your preferred folder..)

I really hopes this helps others, as much as it helped me. Sorry I cannot advise other than win7. PM me, if you still have issues, and I will try to assist if possible. But Google is your friend.

Many thanks to the experts on this forum and the other one, that enabled this noob to see the light in the darkness.

Peace.
    Remy X likes this.